Transmission Problems

B

Bobsagetisgod

Jan 23, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got stuck in the creek today, had a surprise patch of silt suck me in. Anyways the water got up to the seat on the driver side. Once I finally got pulled out, I believe it's my 3 and 5 gears hesitate and rev really high when upshifting to those gears. I'm not all to familiar with this unit, but I remember back with the Suzuki king quad, when we sank them, we'd flip them to drain them, change the oil, and be on our way. I also seem to remember a water drain plug on that four wheeler.

Like I said, I'm not too familiar with this problem, so I drained all the oil, didn't jump out as milky, but I'm hoping for an easy fix with fresh fluids. Anything else I can try? If the clutches are torched, that's fine, I'll take it in, but if it's something easy (like my king quad was), I'll just do what I have to at home. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

wyodlr

Aug 15, 2016
Cody Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the water got up to the seat you will have water in the gas tank and sub tranny if the lines aren't extended, check the air filter and ducting to it to make sure you got no water in it. If it shows any water in it Honda will not cover it

J

JTW

If they're slipping in 3&5 reverse and first should be also.. what range and gear were you in when you got stuck? Did you try and drive out first? Sounds like the clutches are toast...

B

Bobsagetisgod

Jan 23, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the water got up to the seat you will have water in the gas tank and sub tranny if the lines aren't extended, check the air filter and ducting to it to make sure you got no water in it. If it shows any water in it Honda will not cover it

I was pretty much at a 45* angle to the driver side. Only the driver side got that deep. So I believe the gas tank and air ducting should be fine. I'm not sure about the sun transmission.

If they're slipping in 3&5 reverse and first should be also.. what range and gear were you in when you got stuck? Did you try and drive out first? Sounds like the clutches are toast...

That's what I'm figuring. I tried driving out both in low and high. Forward and reverse.

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
I don't have any person experience with this but the consensus seems to be that if the oil was very brown you could have smoked the clutch. If/when I'm stuck I go to Low first thing the gears are a little to tall on these things and you need low to try to turn the tires in thick mud. Anyway how did the oil look?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Like said above I've got a feeling your clutches are spent. Drain all fluids and fill back up see where you're at. Also check air filter and air tube leading to it

Reactions: pct
B

Bobsagetisgod

Jan 23, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't have any person experience with this but the consensus seems to be that if the oil was very brown you could have smoked the clutch. If/when I'm stuck I go to Low first thing the gears are a little to tall on these things and you need low to try to turn the tires in thick mud. Anyway how did the oil look?

The oil looked pretty standard as far "brown-ness," I'm going to pull the pans I drained it into and inspect it under some light after work. It didn't smell burnt or anything though.

Like said above I've got a feeling your clutches are spent. Drain all fluids and fill back up see where you're at. Also check air filter and air tube leading to it

10-4 I'll check the air box this afternoon.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
B

Bobsagetisgod

Jan 23, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does the sub trans use the same oil as the rest of the engine/transmission? Or is that isolated from everything else? I see a separate fill for that under the seat

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does the sub trans use the same oil as the rest of the engine/transmission? Or is that isolated from everything else? I see a separate fill for that under the seat

I believe so, I'm nearly positive it does.

@CumminsPusher and @snuffnwhiskey y'all've had it apart.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Reactions: pct
B

Bobsagetisgod

Jan 23, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, I'm not going to touch that, my issue isn't the transfer case, it's the clutches. So as long as it's self contained in regards to its oil.

I'm a quart short so I'm at a stand still right now. The drained oil was brown, but not overly brown. It didn't smell burnt, and there was no clutch material to be found. We'll see. I still think it's trashed, but there's always a chance.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let your old oil set in the pan for a while then pour it into another pan when you get close to the bottom of the pan is when you will start seeing clutch material in the oil it will look like sludge if there is a lot take it to your dealer

J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A little update, the R,1,3,5 clutch pack was torched. Repaired and back on the trail.

Good news Bob, did you do the fix yourself? If so, we would like details like which plates were torched, any gear mashing, bearing or shaft replcements etc.

B

Bobsagetisgod

Jan 23, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good news Bob, did you do the fix yourself? If so, we would like details like which plates were torched, any gear mashing, bearing or shaft replcements etc.

No sir, it ended up be approved for warranty replacement at the purchasing dealer. My buddy picked it up for me so I didn't get to talk to the guy about anything either.

Side note, the service manager told me that Honda is working on a fix for the clutch issue that should be available within a couple months. What that fix is, he didn't know.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad you are up and running again

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!