QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Yep. Bought the boot fix from All Balls... haven't gotten around to disassembling the axle. Kinda scared to.
Funny thing is, I got the original axle with a torn boot just sitting on a counter in the shop.
Same axle. Same inner boot.
I just changed an inner rear on the P700, I took the axle apart, it wasn't a bad job. Just greasy.

It looks like I'll be changing two more this weekend on a fiends Kodiak 450. His needs an outer but it looks like both boots and the axle need to come apart to change the outer boot.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
holy smokes, 5 years is saying something, did I miss what they are made out of?
Yep that's ultimately what made me go with them. They are made out of 5052 Smooth aluminum 3/16" thick. Heavy stuff and I had him powder coat it black. I got mine for $440 total. I was looking at $660 for UHMW.

Reactions: JTW and QuadMan747
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yep. Bought the boot fix from All Balls... haven't gotten around to disassembling the axle. Kinda scared to.
Funny thing is, I got the original axle with a torn boot just sitting on a counter in the shop.
You still haven't tackled that? You can do it man. First repair job I did on my Pioneer. Not bad at all...

Reactions: Jshell3
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just a heads up.. I've been researching trying to decide what plate and stoppers I'm going to add and the best price for quality I've found is S&S fabrication. Aluminum front and rear stick stoppers, with full belly skid plate and everything poweder coated your choice of color, shipped for $750.. and that's on the 1000 so a 500 should be cheaper. Oh.. and 5 year warranty. That may not be the route you're looking to go but just a heads up incase. It's what Delton has on his rig.
I appreciate that, but the skids (from SSS) have been setting in my garage for three months, just waiting for this winter to take them over to TR1's shop and install them along with some bondo work and paint to the frame and a front gaurd below the Strong Made. I will however be giving that guy a call for a new set of front stick stoppers only. LP hooked me up with his name and number.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
yup, the guards just lessen the chances, but the chance is still there.
Exactly, still prudent to have them though of course as evidenced in the op.

Reactions: LandPioneer
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep that's ultimately what made me go with them. They are made out of 5052 Smooth aluminum 3/16" thick. Heavy stuff and I had him powder coat it black. I got mine for $440 total. I was looking at $660 for UHMW.
Didn't realise that S&S is aluminum, I definitely prefer the UHMW and the Teflon like attributes that it has for sliding over rock. Depending on the nature of the rock, sharp and jagged rock can dig into aluminum, and hit hard enough and 3/16" aluminum will be denting.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Didn't realise that S&S is aluminum, I definitely prefer the UHMW and the Teflon like attributes that it has for sliding over rock. Depending on the nature of the rock, sharp and jagged rock can dig into aluminum, and hit hard enough and 3/16" aluminum will be denting.
In reality they don't slide any better. I have UHMW A arm covers in the front and they've gauged. It gives on hits and can dig as well. Either I think is better than nothing. The price point and 5yr warranty is what sold me. To each and their own...

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
In reality they don't slide any better. I have UHMW A arm covers in the front and they've gauged. It gives on hits and can dig as well. Either I think is better than nothing. The price point and 5yr warranty is what sold me. To each and their own...

They still gouge but I've seen an improvement on being slippery. I was against plastic but after the SSS full plastic I'm a fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LandPioneer
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
They still gouge but I've seen an improvement on being slippery. I was against plastic but after the SSS full plastic I'm a fan

Quieter too! ;)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

"Plastic"??? I think you might only very narrowly be able to define UHMW as plastic.

QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand

I got the Ricochet stick stoppers... while they are THICK, I've still managed to put a hole in a boot since installing them. :rolleyes: Lucky me.

you tube tells all

DRay's part 1
DRay's part2

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes but regardless of the bad ass chemical makeup it's still plastic lol
Yes but it sounds so..................inferior, for such a high density friction free material. :eek:

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
There are plastics now much stronger then metals so I still call it plastic. I think it's cute when it's called something else to make it sound different.
But hey I've learned to love it and can't wait to try it's properties in the snow

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
It does tear... If I'm not mistaking @joeymt33 had one tear on his. I think they replaced it but none the less it did tear.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
There are plastics now much stronger then metals so I still call it plastic. I think it's cute when it's called something else to make it sound different.
But hey I've learned to love it and can't wait to try it's properties in the snow

Haha, not to make it sound different, to make it sound "SUPERIOR" lmao.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It does tear... If I'm not mistaking @joeymt33 had one tear on his. I think they replaced it but none the less it did tear.
That's why they replaced it, it should not tear and they acknowledged that there had been a fault in the product.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!