mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Okay guys.. I've read all the threads I can find on removing heat from the cab in the summer, and taking advantage of it in the winter. While my '18 has the "kit" from the factory, it still kinda sucks. After a 20-30 minute ride, the lower back and bottom of the seat is getting pretty warm.

The Pioneer 1K has been out there for awhile now, so I think it's time to make one thread that has all the successful ideas in one place.

Common sense says windshields and enclosures make the situation worse, we know that.

I'm going to put a fan in mine, but I want to use the right fan, the placement, to duct or not to duct etc.. the FIRST time.

Which fans are working the best?
Placement; how close to the exhaust? Correct aiming?

Might end up being a candidate for a sticky too.

Post up! Myself, and future Pioneer owners thank you in advance! :)

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The “bubble wrap” insulation from Lowe’s works pretty well if you put it behind seat back under the plastic and beneath the seat. Stops 90% of the heat from there and steam baths if you hit a 9” deep puddle too fast.

Reactions: MuDSlinger and BWAF
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The 7” car fan works well.
Aftermarket exhaust helps some as well.
Didn’t do the underseat cover myself because the fan worked well enough for us and it was nice to have free heat for the night rides.
And like said 2356 times NO FULL windshield. I don’t even run the Honda 1/2 windshield we have. Pair of shades and ready to go

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The 7” car fan works well.
Aftermarket exhaust helps some as well.
Didn’t do the underseat cover myself because the fan worked well enough for us and it was nice to have free heat for the night rides.
And like said 2356 times NO FULL windshield. I don’t even run the Honda 1/2 windshield we have. Pair of shades and ready to go

you like the 7" fan better than a pair of 4" bilge fans? what did you get, and how did you mount it?

Oh... and didn't I see a post from you about a couple computer fans to push warm air into the cab in the winter? How did that work out?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I can’t compare the bilge fans I went straight for the car fan because i had that planned for a year prior and thought it might handle mud water and dirt better but I don’t know. It was submerged several times while on and did great.
023EC25F 5563 4EB7 8B22 9FE3B97BCD00
8F290AB4 97A7 44FF A702 731209A1F11B
1D8AA409 8F85 4EE5 8F66 987BF60DB899

This system was overkill as it was all automated but it shows actual cabin temp and how fast it cooled.
5FC4D31B AEB4 48D4 B4F1 8D1B44C64D37

The comp fans did awesome and don’t take anything for power but put out good heat. Did marine vents to control the heat and also close off compartment when needed. Used drain pipe covers to attach fans those slide right into the marine vents.
FA27F3EE DB96 4D17 9068 48B3BB8AC6F1
16AEEEEB 70ED 4224 A193 80FDCB87873A
B3CEC9CB 30C3 4633 B48A B0782925DA3E
21084EBB EADF 4F99 9A30 1ADE9BC36F86

I actually don’t have any of this in the new machine we just ride it and have fun whether it’s hot or not. Will probably get things back in but I’m just happy to ride. Honestly even the 100 degree days don’t bother me as much anymore

Last edited:
crazychris

crazychris

Oct 26, 2017
redfeild arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
my question is are vents necessary for cooling effect. I dont really need a heater during the winter. it doesnt get cold enough in Arkansas. I got a 7" radiator fan just a quick mount with zip ties. made a big difference in heat. but do vents make it bette or is that just for heat??

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Expectations are critical as well - if it is 95 out don't expect it to be cooler in a SXS than that. Also while you can do everything you can to redirect the heat with wrap and under seat fans, if you restrict the flow of air from coming thru the cab you will not get the cooling effect your sweat can provide. It is just like getting in your car on a hot day and having the fan and air off - it is going to be hot unless you get some air moving through there. A windshield works against you in those conditions and for you when it is cold out.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
my question is are vents necessary for cooling effect. I dont really need a heater during the winter. it doesnt get cold enough in Arkansas. I got a 7" radiator fan just a quick mount with zip ties. made a big difference in heat. but do vents make it bette or is that just for heat??

That’s for heat and they aren’t necessary. However I later noticed a quicker drop in temps at slower speeds with them open. I would expect if the small fans were reversed it would be drastic cooling but just the larger fan works good enough

Last edited:
crazychris

crazychris

Oct 26, 2017
redfeild arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s for heat and they aren’t necessary. However I later noticed a quicker drop in temps at slower speeds with them open. I would expect if the small fans were reversed it would be drastic cooling but just the larger fan works good enough
I run it with out the vents for a lil while. when it starts to get cold I might change my mind. thanks !

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Naw, you shouldn't get in trouble for making a good-natured comment! I have a 1000-3 EPS and it does get hot... Looking into cooling/insulation options on this thread. Keep up the feedback.
Welcome to the forum, you’ve came to a good site with lots of good info and great people.

Reactions: BWAF
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I have not found a fan no bilge pump that will last more that 1 or 2 rides under my seat I just gave up and sit a cooler in the middle with more cold beer.

blackpearl

blackpearl

Jul 24, 2018
Boston, Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have not found a fan no bilge pump that will last more that 1 or 2 rides under my seat I just gave up and sit a cooler in the middle with more cold beer.
I do not work for and am not affiliated in any way with YETI products or company but dang, when it comes to keeping stuff cold for long periods, these products cannot be beat IMHO. The little 20-quart cooler weighs a ton (even when empty) but gets the job done line no other I've found. Throw food/beer and ice in that thing and you're good for three days.

blackpearl

blackpearl

Jul 24, 2018
Boston, Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I do not work for and am not affiliated in any way with YETI products or company but dang, when it comes to keeping stuff cold for long periods, these products cannot be beat IMHO. The little 20-quart cooler weighs a ton (even when empty) but gets the job done line no other I've found. Throw food/beer and ice in that thing and you're good for three days.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!