P1000 Tried and true cab heat fixes-2018

gpshemi

gpshemi

Aug 5, 2016
Lapeer Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've used both the bilge fans and the automotive 8" fan. I can tell you the auto fans move three or four times the air, and they're WAY quieter to boot. Not nearly obnoxious. I'd suggest going that route. I'm going to experiment some more, but I think venting it out the bottom like the commercial bilge based kits is likely in order.

Reactions: mjn and BWAF
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've used both the bilge fans and the automotive 8" fan. I can tell you the auto fans move three or four times the air, and they're WAY quieter to boot. Not nearly obnoxious. I'd suggest going that route. I'm going to experiment some more, but I think venting it out the bottom like the commercial bilge based kits is likely in order.

What about removing that rear panel? Oh, wait... you have a 5.

On my 3, I would think that if I removed the rear engine cover the hot air would just go out the back..

Reactions: BWAF
T

Travis85

Aug 15, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just changed my anti freeze to liquid ice and wrapped the bottom of my seat and the plastic between the bottom of the seat back with some heat and sound stuff from summit racing. Definitely made a difference and the heat wrap was a nice clean install kind looks like a factory job.

Reactions: BWAF and mjn
gpshemi

gpshemi

Aug 5, 2016
Lapeer Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going to work on it more in a few weeks. I want to duct a portuon out the bottom, add thermal barriers to thw plastics, and throw a small welding blanket in there.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm going to work on it more in a few weeks. I want to duct a portuon out the bottom, add thermal barriers to thw plastics, and throw a small welding blanket in there.
Sounds good. Throw some photos on here when you get done if you get the chance.. I'd like to see that.

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually just worked on this today. Got the fans installed. Waiting on my Thermo-Tec lining to get here. Going to line floor boards, front and rear, and bottom of seats. Also need to cleanup my wiring under the hood. When the fans are on there’s a good breeze coming out the back! Paired with Thermo-Tec, hopefully that solves the cab heat issue.

39E584BB C4E3 497A 8A1F 94E231A51B5E 631D5034 3409 42F8 BD35 0B1342B02B2D 4CD5292A 2E4E 4C8D B9A2 6427A81FBCC1 CC36DB3F A550 4EDB A426 2A8265A6BA1C

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm going to try an 8" automotive style fan. Ordered it today. I have a switch in my panel already to reverse it. I'll eventually get some vents so I can push the hot air back into the cab area, but for now the important thing is to get the hot air out from under the seat. We do most of our riding in the warmer months.

gpshemi

gpshemi

Aug 5, 2016
Lapeer Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@gpshemi Did you get your install done?

Well actually I had to go for warranty work, and while there the cabin heat fix came out. I had them do that while there and i really dont have any need for it now. That seems to have fixed our heart problem really well. I may still do it, but it's not a super big need now.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well actually I had to go for warranty work, and while there the cabin heat fix came out. I had them do that while there and i really dont have any need for it now. That seems to have fixed our heart problem really well. I may still do it, but it's not a super big need now.

So you're back to totally stock now? If so, in the winter, you're right.. no need. I'm guessin you'll want to re-install it come summertime.

gpshemi

gpshemi

Aug 5, 2016
Lapeer Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So you're back to totally stock now? If so, in the winter, you're right.. no need. I'm guessin you'll want to re-install it come summertime.

No. It's all in place. We used the Honda fix during the summer through late fall. There was no need for the fan in warm weather really. It's pretty good now. I did reverse the wiring to blow heat in the fall, but I think it needs ducted directly to the cab vent to really work well. It was just fair.

Reactions: mjn
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@RedFred1 , @CumminsPusher
It looks like I bought the same fan as you two, but in the 8” version.
Questions
*how did you properly mount it?
*did yours come with a relay? Mine did not.

Thanks!

J

JTW

It looks like I bought the same fan as you two.
Questions

Thanks!
I just zip tied mine in... no relay. It doesn’t pull that much.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just zip tied mine in... no relay. It doesn’t pull that much.
It says you should use a 30a fuse too.

My switch panel has low volt switches, designed,I believe, to require a relay. Not supposed to run more than about 10 amps they them.

J

JTW

It says you should use a 30a fuse too.

My switch panel has low volt switches, designed,I believe, to require a relay. Not supposed to run more than about 10 amps they them.
Takes a hell of a fan to pull 30 amps! I think I’m running a 7.5 or 10 amp fuse on mine. If you’re unsure hook it to a battery and put an amp clamp on it!

gpshemi

gpshemi

Aug 5, 2016
Lapeer Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No relay. Wired it direct to switch. Used aluminum angle, some l brackets, and zip ties. The plug is reversible to pull or push and vented to the kick panel under the seat to blow heat into cab if wanted.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
7730C4C0 2141 4341 9D6D 37D6D5DBA964
Takes a hell of a fan to pull 30 amps! I think I’m running a 7.5 or 10 amp fuse on mine. If you’re unsure hook it to a battery and put an amp clamp on it!

Yep. That’s what I need to do.

Reactions: JTW
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It looks like I bought the same fan as you two, but in the 8” version.
Questions

Thanks!

I made aluminum brackets and mounted the fan to them. I also used a reversing module. You can see the install here...

P1000m3 - Haunted Pioneer - The General

and here...

P1000m3 - Underseat Cooling fan

I used a fuse from my accessories fuse panel to feed the reversing/speed control module.

FredD

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!