P500 True GPS/WAAS Tablet - RAM Mount

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
About ready to add a navigation mod and would welcome an opinion I can trust as evidently there are only opinions and half-truths from stores and those on tech-forums on the internet:

1) want to mount an 8" tablet for Lil'Red (P500) - thinking the Samsung Tab A 8 32GB (latest) should do nicely.
2) not keen on drilling through the dash myself so thinking of using RAM Mount's roll cage band (see picture below) with a 12 inch (long) arm and a X-grip holder, all enclosed in a Supcase UB Pro Case for vibration and dust.

Questions:

1) Does the Tab A have a true GPS/WAAS chip and will Gaia or Avenza serve as suitable off-line maps for satellite location?
2) Thinking to attach the RAM mount on the passanger side - with the long arm low behind the cup holder. Will the setup I mention articulate well enough to stay low over the dash and still allow for drinks in the passanger cup holder? I measured and think so but am wondering?

Upload 2019 6 12 9 28 4 Upload 2019 6 12 9 31 11 Upload 2019 6 12 9 35 14 Upload 2019 6 12 9 38 47
I'll get the same size ...throughout... just didn't see them pictured.

Thanks for the help.

GMac

Reactions: rtn001
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You'll be happy with an 8", much better than the little Garmin screen. As for where you're mounting it, doesn't seem like you'll have a clear view of it, won't it be facing the passenger? I make the wife do most of the navigating too but sometimes I just gotta see it. Don't know what you're paying for that setup but Lifetime Trail Maps is a vendor here and they have some package deals. Tablet has GPS and preloaded maps as well.
Lifetime Trail Maps Home
I went with the Active Tab 2 for the waterproof/shock rating and a powered cradle.

Tablet Tablet 1

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know you are not a fan of mounting to the dash.
Look at their ram track solution somewhere on the dash. Using a 12" arm is a bad idea. It will vibrate and annoy the hell out of anyone trying to use it while driving.

That roll bar mount isn't going to be ideal either. The only pressure you can apply to clamp it is with a hose clamp. They are easily stripped, add the leverage from a 12" arm and I honestly think you will get mad.

I don't own a 500, so I can't recall he bar diameter. Hit a local TSC and grab a set of their 1-2" light bar mounts. Then use a ram ball with a stud to secure to the ROPS.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
For the record, I let the wife see it that’s all. Cuz when my wife makes the navigating decisions like @trigger mentions, he should know cuz he fell victim of this following me on cool fall day...they can’t make decisions (like with cloths) so they say “stop, no, go, no stop! What do you think? Ok go (about 20’) STOP!” For Christ sake! Lol. so I suggest to do the navigating yourself if want to keep the peace lol ;).
I have an IPad mini that I use with multiple map apps you can load. @Ragnar406 has some really good advice on ones to pic if your into doing it yourself.

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
You'll be happy with an 8", much better than the little Garmin screen. As for where you're mounting it, doesn't seem like you'll have a clear view of it, won't it be facing the passenger? I make the wife do most of the navigating too but sometimes I just gotta see it. Don't know what you're paying for that setup but Lifetime Trail Maps is a vendor here and they have some package deals. Tablet has GPS and preloaded maps as well.
Lifetime Trail Maps Home
I went with the Active Tab 2 for the waterproof/shock rating and a powered cradle.

View attachment 135269 View attachment 135270
Now that you mention it Trigger, that makes alot of sense ... communication with my wife is tough enough without trying to add navigation lingo to the mix. I'll check out Lifetime Trail Maps. Thanks for the gear suggestion ... Active Tab 2 is Samsung? How did you mount to the dash?

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I know you are not a fan of mounting to the dash.
Look at their ram track solution somewhere on the dash. Using a 12" arm is a bad idea. It will vibrate and annoy the hell out of anyone trying to use it while driving.

That roll bar mount isn't going to be ideal either. The only pressure you can apply to clamp it is with a hose clamp. They are easily stripped, add the leverage from a 12" arm and I honestly think you will get mad.

I don't own a 500, so I can't recall he bar diameter. Hit a local TSC and grab a set of their 1-2" light bar mounts. Then use a ram ball with a stud to secure to the ROPS.

Neohio, thanks. That's sage advice ... nobody wants bouncy. P500 has 1.625" diameter ROPS.

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
For the record, I let the wife see it that’s all. Cuz when my wife makes the navigating decisions like @trigger mentions, he should know cuz he fell victim of this following me on cool fall day...they can’t make decisions (like with cloths) so they say “stop, no, go, no stop! What do you think? Ok go (about 20’) STOP!” For Christ sake! Lol. so I suggest to do the navigating yourself if want to keep the peace lol ;).
I have an IPad mini that I use with multiple map apps you can load. @Ragnar406 has some really good advice on ones to pic if your into doing it yourself.

Too funny ... yeah that's exactly what it would sound like. :D

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Is everyone buying a 4G/5G plan or can you just get a tablet that uses just wifi/WAAS? That is ... if the GPS is triangulation from cell towers ... I think that's too much additional expense to justify and that "check it before you get off the network stuff" sounds iffy.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Is everyone buying a 4G/5G plan or can you just get a tablet that uses just wifi/WAAS? That is ... if the GPS is triangulation from cell towers ... I think that's too much additional expense to justify and that "check it before you get off the network stuff" sounds iffy.
I use just the gps in the tablet. U can get a tablet and just hook it to wi fi (and not need a plan) to download whatever want. When your on trail, the gps will pick u up on the tablet for whatever map your using. Most of the apps have off line maps but you have to have wi fi to down load the map first obviously lol.

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
I am doing almost exactly what you are doing. Same tablet, tablet cover, and will be mounting it where the safety warning is on the dash. COSTCO has a magnetic suction mount that the tablet will magnetically adhere to so you can take it on and off. The mount attaches using a tacky suction affair to any smooth surface. This mount articulates so that you can view it from the passenger seat as well as from the driver seat. I was a little concerned about the magnetic grip not being strong enough, however I have done a lot of simulation testing and it seems to hold well. I will not know how well it will secure the tablet until I get it out in the brush and try it out, but for $20.00 for two mounts I figured it was worth the try. I am using OnX Hunt for my navigation software.

Reactions: bpike207
gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I am doing almost exactly what you are doing. Same tablet, tablet cover, and will be mounting it where the safety warning is on the dash. COSTCO has a magnetic suction mount that the tablet will magnetically adhere to so you can take it on and off. The mount attaches using a tacky suction affair to any smooth surface. This mount articulates so that you can view it from the passenger seat as well as from the driver seat. I was a little concerned about the magnetic grip not being strong enough, however I have done a lot of simulation testing and it seems to hold well. I will not know how well it will secure the tablet until I get it out in the brush and try it out, but for $20.00 for two mounts I figured it was worth the try. I am using OnX Hunt for my navigation software.

Snake, thanks ... do you have a brand or part number from COSTCO? Suction-based mount on trails though? How's that work?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Snake, thanks ... do you have a brand or part number from COSTCO? Suction-based mount on trails though? How's that work?
I have that same magnate thing for my work tablet in my service van. Works great for that and regular driving. If I slightly bump the tablet it will fall off. I think with off road trail riding it will wind up being a PITA with the tablet falling off at every bounce. Just my opinion.

This is the plate on the back of the tablet and the suction mount.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Now that you mention it Trigger, that makes alot of sense ... communication with my wife is tough enough without trying to add navigation lingo to the mix. I'll check out Lifetime Trail Maps. Thanks for the gear suggestion ... Active Tab 2 is Samsung? How did you mount to the dash?

Active Tab 2 is Samsung, has an IP67 rating. 1" RAM ball mounted to the dash. Powered cradle is hard wired and keeps it charged all the time, never have to plug in. Shortest arm I could get keeps it from bouncing all over. Here's my setup...

P500 - Where and how do you mount your cell phone or tablet?

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
I have that same magnate thing for my work tablet in my service van. Works great for that and regular driving. If I slightly bump the tablet it will fall off. I think with off road trail riding it will wind up being a PITA with the tablet falling off at every bounce. Just my opinion.
View attachment 135490
This is the plate on the back of the tablet and the suction mount.
View attachment 135491
Thank you, I already have it so I will give it a try. I will let everyone know how it works.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thank you, I already have it so I will give it a try. I will let everyone know how it works.
Would like a feedback at how that works on trail. I think you might be yelling at it lol. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Active Tab 2 is Samsung, has an IP67 rating. 1" RAM ball mounted to the dash. Powered cradle is hard wired and keeps it charged all the time, never have to plug in. Shortest arm I could get keeps it from bouncing all over. Here's my setup...

I have a similar set up. Just used the short 1” ram mount that’s bolted to my dash and a very short adjustment arm for different angles. I already had a OTTER box on my old tablet that protects it, just bought a rugged ram mount tablet holder for 25$ on amazon. I do like the ability to have it hard wired somehow. Usually my charge last all day. Can u easily remove it so knowone steels it or so you can take it in for updates? How did u do that?

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500

Trigger, Think I'm getting it. Assuming an AMPS pattern for the 1" ball bolt-down with a short arm. Assuming you used a steel backer behind the ball on the dash? Smallest backer plate I can see is 2.6" X 2.6". Is that correct?

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Granted I can not comment on the space or location in a P500 but I use the Ram mount you pictured above clamped to my ROPS in front above my head. I also use a Med Double Ram Socket arm and for a Tablet holder I use this Ram tablet holder. It holds the tablet really good and I have not yet had any issues with (I will say that I had to turn the Double Socket arm around as one way holds better than the other.

As I mentioned mine is above my head and I can glance at it for a quick sec but I find that I need to stop to do any real reading on the tablet (whether mounted there or elsewhere)

134429 6ed5393eb842629a9eb982a4ee2d3e9bUpload 2019 6 12 9 35 14 png

Upload 2019 6 13 15 23 36

Here is a where I tried to summarize some of the navigation options that are available -https://hondasxs.com/threads/need-nav-help.18004/

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let me add that I saw a guy using Gaia this past weekend on an Ipad - it was nice but all the maps he had were ones that he built and recorded himself.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I agree that it will vibrate a lot with that setup. On my 500 I mounted from the roof where the metal bracket is in the center. It did well but still vibrated some. In the Talon I mounted to the rollbar in the front. I used two ram mounts around the rollbar with two connecting arms on and X-grip. Works awesome up out of the sun and dust! Here is pics of the Talon setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!