P500 True GPS/WAAS Tablet - RAM Mount

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I agree that it will vibrate a lot with that setup. On my 500 I mounted from the roof where the metal bracket is in the center. It did well but still vibrated some. In the Talon I mounted to the rollbar in the front. I used two ram mounts around the rollbar with two connecting arms on and X-grip. Works awesome up out of the sun and dust! Here is pics of the Talon setup. View attachment 135514
View attachment 135515

Vondy, that looks awesome on the Talon. To clarify those are two RAM ROMS clamps (1" ball) suitable for the Talon rollbar diameter?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have a similar set up. Just used the short 1” ram mount that’s bolted to my dash and a very short adjustment arm for different angles. I already had a OTTER box on my old tablet that protects it, just bought a rugged ram mount tablet holder for 25$ on amazon. I do like the ability to have it hard wired somehow. Usually my charge last all day. Can u easily remove it so knowone steels it or so you can take it in for updates? How did u do that?

Yeah, it just clips into the cradle so it's easily removed. They make a locking one too but I decided against it for the price they wanted. I just take it out and lock it in the box when we're going to be away from the machine.

Reactions: Remington
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Trigger, Think I'm getting it. Assuming an AMPS pattern for the 1" ball bolt-down with a short arm. Assuming you used a steel backer behind the ball on the dash? Smallest backer plate I can see is 2.6" X 2.6". Is that correct?

Yes, a 1" amps mount. I fabbed the backer plate so don't really know the dimensions of it, big enough to take the four bolts through it.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yeah, it just clips into the cradle so it's easily removed. They make a locking one too but I decided against it for the price they wanted. I just take it out and lock it in the box when we're going to be away from the machine.
Mine has a locking clip thingamajig exactly like the one that Ragnar posted. It’s in the spot where my Garmin use to be on the dash if you remember. So closer to where Rudy sits. I can’t put it in the roll cage cus of my wiper handles. I think I’m gona move the Garmin with vvmapping in it to the P5

Reactions: trigger
gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
All,

Thanks for your help on this. Got all the gear and borrowed the mounting technique suggested by Montecresto:

1) Diamond head 1" Ram ball mount to dash, (2) 3/4" pan head hex bolts, fender washer, lock washer, nut (avoided other accessory cutouts under the hood)
2) 1" double socket Ram short arm
3) 1" Ram X-Grip for 7-8" tablets
4) Samsung Tab A 8
5) Supcase Unicorn Beetle - Samsung Tab A 2017. Anxious to give it a spin and see how we do. Picture follow. Thanks again, GMac

Mount Lil Red 1 Mount Lil Red 2 Mount Lil Red 3

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
All,

Thanks for your help on this. Got all the gear and borrowed the mounting technique suggested by Montecresto:

1) Diamond head 1" Ram ball mount to dash, (2) 3/4" pan head hex bolts, fender washer, lock washer, nut (avoided other accessory cutouts under the hood)
2) 1" double socket Ram short arm
3) 1" Ram X-Grip for 7-8" tablets
4) Samsung Tab A 8
5) Supcase Unicorn Beetle - Samsung Tab A 2017. Anxious to give it a spin and see how we do. Picture follow. Thanks again, GMac

View attachment 138241 View attachment 138242 View attachment 138243
Quick follow... Two half day runs using Colorado NF Mvmu's on Avenza App. Rock solid. Tilts toward driver but wife enjoyed having it in front of her as well. 8 in is a good screen size. Pleased with location. Gmac

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
I have that same magnate thing for my work tablet in my service van. Works great for that and regular driving. If I slightly bump the tablet it will fall off. I think with off road trail riding it will wind up being a PITA with the tablet falling off at every bounce. Just my opinion.
View attachment 135490
This is the plate on the back of the tablet and the suction mount.
View attachment 135491
You were right, this type of mount worked in some situations but not all. I have since bought the RAM mount and it is the way to go.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I agree that it will vibrate a lot with that setup. On my 500 I mounted from the roof where the metal bracket is in the center. It did well but still vibrated some. In the Talon I mounted to the rollbar in the front. I used two ram mounts around the rollbar with two connecting arms on and X-grip. Works awesome up out of the sun and dust! Here is pics of the Talon setup. View attachment 135514
View attachment 135515
Vondy - did you buy 2 of each of these?

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Reactions: rustyneversleeps
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I used 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Coated-U...up+to+3.15"+in+Diameter&qid=1617726988&sr=8-1

I upgraded the X-grip to a different mount. I had it mounted over head tilted down and on hard hits the tablet would fall out. I upgraded to this one. I didnt use the mount part of it, just the piece that goes around the tablet.

They you'll need two arms. I think this is the size I used.

Thanks man - much appreciated! I am just trying to check things off of my long list and this was one of them...

Reactions: Vondy

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!