P1000 True Isolator question

H

Hotlz

Aug 22, 2020
Pelican rapids, mn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Kicking around the idea of a dual battery setup. I would have minimal accessories on the secondary battery; probs just a winch and a couple of lights on the top of my cab.

Can I use the unused ground that Honda provides that's taped up by the main battery to go to the secondary battery negative? If not, is it just a ground from one neg post to the other on the batts?

Where do I go with the small ground wire coming out of the isolator? Can it go to a battery ground or does it need to go somewhere else? If it can, which one? Does it matter?

Thanks

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
👆👆👆 See the above.
The unused ground works great and I used it on my dual set up with a True isolator. An issue in the back of my mind is the length of the unused ground - check that it will reach your negative post or it can be extended if not.

Small wire can ground anywhere, but even with just a few accessories I really think a small fuse box with the negative bus bar is a super cheap and useful add. A 6 circuit marine fuse box is under $15 and a 12 circuit box is $20. A fuse box lets you have your taps/fuses in one spot, most boxes hold spare fuses in dummy slots, and some have LEDs that light up the spot of the blown fuse. This lets you get rid of random in-line fuses and helps with troubleshooting and future adds.

Even with few accessories you might have:
1 - dash winch switch
2 - wireless winch switch (this was a 3rd-party add to my Superwinch; some are stock on the same circuit)
3 - True voltmeter tap
4 - front lightbar
5 - side or rear lights
I regret going with a 6 circuit box - and I, like you, didn't think I'd be adding much. My surprise needs came from adding:
6 - turn signal kit (b/c it's a street legal requirement)
7 - horn (street legal again)
8 - under-seat radiator fan to reduce passenger heat

Because of where I mounted my 6 circuit box to begin with, going to a 12 would almost be a do-over on all of the above.

Except using the unused ground (to get back to the OP).

Good luck.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!