BOX1

P500 turbo or nitrous

B

BenBusenitz

Mar 20, 2019
Whitewater,KS
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
i was going to go pc5 but dobeck gave me a discount i couldnt say no to... i figure i keep the wot afr high 10s -11 max with a step colder plug should be fine for low boost pressure
BTW, how did you manage to get a discount on the AFR+? Any noticeable power gain?

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Cletus McFarland played around with electric turbos..the cheap china toy ones are a joke on a car, the larger $$ ones made serious power but with this little engine the tiny one could be a fun experiment, who knows... :)

Reactions: Duckhunt
B

BenBusenitz

Mar 20, 2019
Whitewater,KS
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Cletus McFarland played around with electric turbos..the cheap china toy ones are a joke on a car, the larger $$ ones made serious power but with this little engine the tiny one could be a fun experiment, who knows... :)
Ya, I was looking into electric. Couple of issues I thought of are amp requirements and not having variable boost for variable throttle positions. Be interesting to see how much boost a high rpm rc edf fan could produce, they come in all sizes, so it wouldn’t be hard to mount one inline on the air box intake. I think someone might have done something like that on a 700 with a bigger 4 or 5 inch electric blower. One could even rig up a second battery in series to get 24v. My guess is that the most boost any electric system will produce is 2-3 pounds. But it would prob give a noticeable power increase.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Ya, I was looking into electric. Couple of issues I thought of are amp requirements and not having variable boost for variable throttle positions. Be interesting to see how much boost a high rpm rc edf fan could produce, they come in all sizes, so it wouldn’t be hard to mount one inline on the air box intake. I think someone might have done something like that on a 700 with a bigger 4 or 5 inch electric blower. One could even rig up a second battery in series to get 24v. My guess is that the most boost any electric system will produce is 2-3 pounds. But it would prob give a noticeable power increase.
for the hassle and the headache of that 100% not worth time or effort. you need to find the max cfm of the motor draw then then a bunch of math i dont remember off the top of my head to figure out what size blower for the cfm you need to create any amount of boost

B

BenBusenitz

Mar 20, 2019
Whitewater,KS
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
for the hassle and the headache of that 100% not worth time or effort. you need to find the max cfm of the motor draw then then a bunch of math i dont remember off the top of my head to figure out what size blower for the cfm you need to create any amount of boost
Pretty much the same conclusion I had. And I am a better welder/fabber then electrician. If I can get oil supply figured out, I prob will try a rhb31 turbo. Not a lot of dollars wasted if it doesn’t work out. Would have more in the dobeck tuner then the turbo setup. And it sounds like I need a tuner anyway. Turbo location is pretty simple to plan out. I don’t think I would intercool it since 7-8 pounds of boost would prob be the highest I would run. Not sure about the air box though. Thinking to just run boost hose to the stock air box intake, but the crankcase breather would need to be changed.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Pretty much the same conclusion I had. And I am a better welder/fabber then electrician. If I can get oil supply figured out, I prob will try a rhb31 turbo. Not a lot of dollars wasted if it doesn’t work out. Would have more in the dobeck tuner then the turbo setup. And it sounds like I need a tuner anyway. Turbo location is pretty simple to plan out. I don’t think I would intercool it since 7-8 pounds of boost would prob be the highest I would run. Not sure about the air box though. Thinking to just run boost hose to the stock air box intake, but the crankcase breather would need to be changed.
exactly what i was thinking when i started planning it out but then i got into building my long travel kits and kinda put this on the back burner

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'd think if you did this it would be very necessary to put the taller gears in, heavy duty clutch (if they even exist), and raise the rev limit within reason. I love the thought of a quick 500. It would be quite a challenge though. Re-powering the machine might be easier.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I'd think if you did this it would be very necessary to put the taller gears in, heavy duty clutch (if they even exist), and raise the rev limit within reason. I love the thought of a quick 500. It would be quite a challenge though. Re-powering the machine might be easier.
lol its only money

D

Duckhunt

I'm enjoying this revived thread. I went through all these mental thoughts last year, all starting with tapping into the oil cap and checking/testing oil pressure. Looked at turbo's even glanced at the "tiny" Garrett GT0632, but never did anything with it and when I needed more power now for the tracks and saw the BBK & cam kits available I had that thought: "This is easier AND proven". Now I'm really glad I did it but if one of you builds a turbo kit that would be sweet!!!

Reactions: ehart814
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I'm enjoying this revived thread. I went through all these mental thoughts last year, all starting with tapping into the oil cap and checking/testing oil pressure. Looked at turbo's even glanced at the "tiny" Garrett GT0632, but never did anything with it and when I needed more power now for the tracks and saw the BBK & cam kits available I had that thought: "This is easier AND proven". Now I'm really glad I did it but if one of you builds a turbo kit that would be sweet!!!
i would still love to do the bbk and cam!!!! i take it ur loving it so far

D

Duckhunt

i would still love to do the bbk and cam!!!! i take it ur loving it so far
I am loving it. I just wish for 2-3 hours it was warm and the snow was gone just so I could do an apples-apples comparison with my tires back on. With the tracks, even with the high gears 32mph + or - is max. Can definitely tell there's more there, it just doesn't bog as easy but that's really my only comparison right now. Definitely louder overall naturally. To be honest most of my limited riding thus far is 6-8 mph gps in 2nd going through woods in 20-24" powder on old logging roads, with the wife and both labs in the back.

It does run a little warmer. I installed a digital temp gauge spliced in on the upper radiator hoses. Going down the road she stays at 185-195. Service manual says thermostat starts to open 178-184 and fully open at 203, or something. Anyway, I know it's working a little harder in the snow, but the fan does come on often, which happens around 210-213. Brings it down to low 200's then slowly climbs back up. But still never past 2 bars on the dash "gauge"!! But then again my Yamaha Big Bear only time I hear the fan is plowing, never in summer.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nitrous is waaaaaaay more fun duuuuude:D

Reactions: Mudwing and jak9922
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I am loving it. I just wish for 2-3 hours it was warm and the snow was gone just so I could do an apples-apples comparison with my tires back on. With the tracks, even with the high gears 32mph + or - is max. Can definitely tell there's more there, it just doesn't bog as easy but that's really my only comparison right now. Definitely louder overall naturally. To be honest most of my limited riding thus far is 6-8 mph gps in 2nd going through woods in 20-24" powder on old logging roads, with the wife and both labs in the back.

It does run a little warmer. I installed a digital temp gauge spliced in on the upper radiator hoses. Going down the road she stays at 185-195. Service manual says thermostat starts to open 178-184 and fully open at 203, or something. Anyway, I know it's working a little harder in the snow, but the fan does come on often, which happens around 210-213. Brings it down to low 200's then slowly climbs back up. But still never past 2 bars on the dash "gauge"!! But then again my Yamaha Big Bear only time I hear the fan is plowing, never in summer.
well geared down with the tracks im sure the Rs are running pretty high most of the time

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
i probably huffed a bigger shot out of a ballon

B

BenBusenitz

Mar 20, 2019
Whitewater,KS
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Engine swap would be cool, but space is pretty limited. And I would hate to give up that 5 speed manual tranny. The 560 big bore kit would probably be more reliable than a turbo and a lot less work, but my conscience wouldn't let me pay $950 for a cylinder and piston. And I just rebuilt the top end with a wiseco, so it has lots of life yet. Not too worried about the clutch, if it is overbuilt like most of honda stuff is, it should handle another 10hp. Already have the taller gears in, they are probably the reason I need that extra 10 hp.

Last edited:
Reactions: ehart814
B

BretBouer27

May 4, 2019
Ownership

1. 500
I would love to know more about the BBK & cam kit. How much did that improve performance and what was the cost and assembly like. I have tracks and need more power. Thank you!

Reactions: Smitty335
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Nitrous is not intended for long term use, just a quick boost at the expense of high engine temp and valve abuse. The lower the rpm when the nitrous is injected the worse, need high rpm to get the hot gasses out of the combustion chamber quickly. If the goal is to make a less reliable machine I would just go get a Polaris! I don't know much about turbos, other than it's a good way to burn through gas quicker ... Dang I am getting old, speed use to be my main goal, now it has been replaced with reliability. ☹️

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!