BOX1

Turbo Talon Owners - Would you do it all over again?

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
It was very over priced, for what it is. It sucks they want you to run the stock exhaust, and their air filter design is terrible to service. I did a similar Donaldson system as the previous post, but used the “top spin” unit on top of the Donaldson canister . Also used intercooler hose for a cleaner look. Also replaced the stock pistons with 9:1 forged pistons. I’m currently waiting for Erik at PPei to get the tune perfected to run a pipe. He has many hours of dyno time with the Talon, and is getting really close to releasing a tune that will get over 200 hp at the rear wheel. Sounds like a bigger fuel pump and injectors will be needed for the added HP.

1EC78D22 9261 47AD A10A 5F178E87A12F C0D48345 AF52 46CA A46C 2C3128F7A044 C6934323 07CD 4BCE B08B 517E7BF772FC

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Keep us posted on the progress, I'm waiting for my KW kit to ship! Interested in hearing how your tune goes!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blownzuki
B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
i currently have the ppei tune, 1000 cc injectors , evo exhaust. pushing around 16lbs of boost. 9to1 pistons
How did you get the stuff from ppei? I have contacted them for 3 months and they keep saying that is coming out next month. Is it necessary to do the pistons? I was thinking of just doing the tune, fuel injectors map sensor and exhaust. How is your machine now? The extra hp worth the $$?

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
having installed both kits. for me personally. I'd buy the JR one again. the stuff you have to remove to get to the air filter on the KW wouldn't work for me.
I believe the Kw can produce more power in the long run. but there is SOO much tubing after the turbo there has to be a fair amount of lag. the turbo is a larger unit. the header is a work of art.
there are some smaller details that JR did that Kw should have done. little things. gaskets, hose routing, clamps, etc. both are good kits. I think that for ME the Jr is more my style with easy of Maintance and complete use of bed space.
if I were in the market today. i'd flip a coin, and rework the tubing and charger cooler location if I ended up with the KW kit.
upgradeability the Kw wins as you have to purchase the PV3 separately.
both kits are limited to around 8 psi boost with Hondas stock cast pistons and lack of head studs.

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon x4
What would you do to make the JR kit better? Install a modified (thicker material) engine mount for the turbo brace? Anything else that needs to be addressed?

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
So my Kw turbo kit will be here Monday, I already tore the car apart and ready for the new parts to be installed.

The one problem I'm having a hard time visualizing, how is my kwt particle separator going to fit into the equation? It comes with a Donaldson (name?) Airbox or particle separator that ties in directly to intercooler. I have no idea how I'm going to use my particle separator with this equation.

Anyone here running a kw turbo kit with a particular separator? I worry I'm not going to be able to use it, not even sure if I should. I emailed the guys at KW and hoping they can tell me a way to tie it in without negatively affecting the turbo setup.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
So my Kw turbo kit will be here Monday, I already tore the car apart and ready for the new parts to be installed.

The one problem I'm having a hard time visualizing, how is my kwt particle separator going to fit into the equation? It comes with a Donaldson (name?) Airbox or particle separator that ties in directly to intercooler. I have no idea how I'm going to use my particle separator with this equation.

Anyone here running a kw turbo kit with a particular separator? I worry I'm not going to be able to use it, not even sure if I should. I emailed the guys at KW and hoping they can tell me a way to tie it in without negatively affecting the turbo setup.

The stock piping for the KWT will connect to the inlet of the air filter housing.. it'll be easy once you see it.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
What would you do to make the JR kit better? Install a modified (thicker material) engine mount for the turbo brace? Anything else that needs to be addressed?
all it really needs is a better air filter, and to drill a few holes for the turbo support brace.
One of Hondas reqs was no drilling. simple bolt on install.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
The stock piping for the KWT will connect to the inlet of the air filter housing.. it'll be easy once you see it.
So there's a designated spot? I was really worried I'd have to toss it aside, ty! I am going to have to find a new mounting location, that's for sure. The intercooler seems to take it's spot, it seems huge. I'm antsy, can't wait for it to arrive!!

Last edited:
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
So there's a designated spot? I was really worried I'd have to toss it aside, ty! I am going to have to find a new mounting location, that's for sure. The intercooler seems to take it's spot, it seems huge. I'm antsy, can't wait for it to arrive!!

I've heard rumors of tuning issues from KW. So you might open a dialogue with PPEI just to have that as an option. and familiarize yourself with the PV3 and how you need to tune the machine for the first time. you have to flash the car. then take the pv3 and get a file off of it send to KW, they write you a tune, then you take that file put it back on the PV3 and flash the car with the new file. reach out to me if you need help.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I've heard rumors of tuning issues from KW. So you might open a dialogue with PPEI just to have that as an option. and familiarize yourself with the PV3 and how you need to tune the machine for the first time. you have to flash the car. then take the pv3 and get a file off of it send to KW, they write you a tune, then you take that file put it back on the PV3 and flash the car with the new file. reach out to me if you need help.
Hey appreciate the reply, I already got that all squared away and I have the tune from KW. This tune is obviously based off of their turbo with stock exhaust, hoping that my particle separator really doesn't cause any issues. I've seen a YouTube video where a guy complained about the stock tune, and he mentioned going with ppei tuning. The guys at KW told me that ppei is working with their kit and offer some really good tunes as well. I may reach out to them Monday morning just to see what they have to say, I assume I'll have everything installed by Tuesday or Wednesday though depending on if I run into any troubles. Updates to follow, anxiously awaiting that delivery truck!

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
i currently have the ppei tune, 1000 cc injectors , evo exhaust. pushing around 16lbs of boost. 9to1 pistons
Is that with the Jackson turbo? Any idea of rear wheel hp? Bigger fuel pump?

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
if i remember correctly to go much more than 16 lbs of boost you have to go with the 1300cc injectors. and no clue how far the fuel pump can go.

yes jackson turbo.

i do not have access to a dyno to figure out my wheel hp. im sure there are others on here running about the same boost with some numbers to share

Barracuda

Barracuda

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2021
Washington state
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

2. w/Turbo
if i remember correctly to go much more than 16 lbs of boost you have to go with the 1300cc injectors. and no clue how far the fuel pump can go.

yes jackson turbo.

i do not have access to a dyno to figure out my wheel hp. im sure there are others on here running about the same boost with some numbers to share
According to the dealer who installed the Jackson Racing turbo on my 1000X-4 the JR turbo puts out 170HP - I believe thats at the wheels, but don't quote me on that. They dyno'd their first install (not mine) and it was right at a 60% increase. I tend to believe them, based on my conversations with their technician, but dealers are always questionable, so I would take that with a grain of salt...

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!