BOX1

Turbo Talon Owners - Would you do it all over again?

H

HondaTech

What would you do to make the JR kit better? Install a modified (thicker material) engine mount for the turbo brace? Anything else that needs to be addressed?

Jackson has addresed the issue with the turbo mount, its uses 2 bolts with a wider footprint.

We cracked out lower oem mount, and broke the prop rod. We've since welded the lower rod mount to a new oem mount (before the update JR part was designed).

We've gone the PPEI route as well, new injectors, rail, return fuel system, and PV3 tuning with a slip-on. The tuner gas been super great sending new tunes to adjust the car with our pipe.

Dr. Powersports recently built a 4 seater with over 180HP at the wheels on the JR kit. Chad told us he thinks his car makes over 200hp at the wheels.

Reactions: Smitty335
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
According to the dealer who installed the Jackson Racing turbo on my 1000X-4 the JR turbo puts out 170HP - I believe thats at the wheels, but don't quote me on that. They dyno'd their first install (not mine) and it was right at a 60% increase. I tend to believe them, based on my conversations with their technician, but dealers are always questionable, so I would take that with a grain of salt...

pretty sure thats at the crank not wheel. most dynos are showing 140 to 155 ish cant remember exact numbers
most turbo and or tuners are not going to show to wheel numbers because one person shows crank numbers for same tune and every jo blow will buy his tune even tho its the same. and dont get me wrong the stock jackson kit was fun as hell. but im never happy with single digit numbers on the boost

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
pretty sure thats at the crank not wheel. most dynos are showing 140 to 155 ish cant remember exact numbers
most turbo and or tuners are not going to show to wheel numbers because one person shows crank numbers for same tune and every jo blow will buy his tune even tho its the same. and dont get me wrong the stock jackson kit was fun as hell. but im never happy with single digit numbers on the boost
Thought JR was a 40% increase? I did a deep dive on both and the KW kit was putting out more power. Pretty sure KW is 145 wheel horsepower, but with a ppei tune I'm hearing higher numbers. I plan to call ppei tomorrow to see what they say, as I may go with their tune.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Dr. Powersports recently built a 4 seater with over 180HP at the wheels on the JR kit. Chad told us he thinks his car makes over 200hp at the wheels

How many miles has he put on it? Also what supporting mods does he have? Curious as I have a four seater as well, thanks!

H

HondaTech

How many miles has he put on it? Also what supporting mods does he have? Curious as I have a four seater as well, thanks!

The 4 seater guy i thought had quite a few miles, Honda Talon Turbo Russell is his name.

They did head studs, pistons, PPEI tuning, and some other stuff as well.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have the JR system. yes I would do it again. the JR air filter is JUNK and in a terrible location.
I have just over 3K miles on mine. and just shy of 7k on the machine.
I have been up to 11K and down to 700, no issues really. I live in AZ and get a lot of desert riding.
in the mountains in northern AZ the car is a lot to handle if driving aggressively, to the point a stock machine might actually be faster.
I don't have a cracked header. I change oil every 2K with valvoline atv/utv oil.
my only complaint is the air filter. I have a Donaldson one dual stage and it's been great for 1200 miles.

I suspect both kits will be great options. and it's how the R should have come from Honda. both will serve you well.
QUESTION: You state that you change the oil every 2k miles. I have a 2021 Talon X and the "Talon Owner's Manual" recommends every 600. I feel that is way too often (especially since it holds 7qts). As such, I was thinking I'd go at least 1k miles. What made you come to the 2k decision? I also live in AZ and ride SW of PHX as well as Lake Alamo, Munds Park and anywhere else that I can find a good ride. I agree that the factory air intake is HORRIBLE in the AZ dust. I added an 80-10 Dirt Sports Pre-Filter (Vendor on HondaSxS) and have been very pleased with the results!! Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
QUESTION: You state that you change the oil every 2k miles. I have a 2021 Talon X and the "Talon Owner's Manual" recommends every 600. I feel that is way too often (especially since it holds 7qts). As such, I was thinking I'd go at least 1k miles. What made you come to the 2k decision? I also live in AZ and ride SW of PHX as well as Lake Alamo, Munds Park and anywhere else that I can find a good ride. I agree that the factory air intake is HORRIBLE in the AZ dust. I added an 80-10 Dirt Sports Pre-Filter (Vendor on HondaSxS) and have been very pleased with the results!! Thanks!!
I thought the manual said 1200 miles and 600 was just a check? Anyway I change all my fluids at 1000miles on my Talons.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Ran into a couple roadblocks with the install tonight, awaiting some additional parts to arrive tomorrow and then hopefully take it for its first ride with a new turbo.

Unfortunately with a four-seater you need to remove the rear seats in order to mount the intercooler to the rear bar.

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thought JR was a 40% increase? I did a deep dive on both and the KW kit was putting out more power. Pretty sure KW is 145 wheel horsepower, but with a ppei tune I'm hearing higher numbers. I plan to call ppei tomorrow to see what they say, as I may go with their tune.

stock is 105 hp at crank 75 ish at the wheel if i remember right

F

FOG

Dec 19, 2021
Orange County
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. w/Turbo
stock is 105 hp at crank 75 ish at the wheel if i remember right
Generally it is a 7% increase in horsepower over NA for every psi of boost. I have the Jackson Racing turbo and was told it’s 8 psi of boost. The spec on the Talon is 104 hp at the crank. So 8 x 7 equals 56.
A 56% increase over a stock 104 hp at the crank is now just north of 162 hp at the crank.
I just know that my seat of the pants dyno tells me that my Talon is much faster with the JR turbo.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Progress, but waiting on parts. Figured I'd share a pic of the new shiny snail. Awaiting a longer hose for my particle separator (should be here today) and some mounting brackets to relocate my particle separator (ETA Friday).

For now, I have to remove the back seats and mount the intercooler onto the rear bar. Then attach the last 2 hoses. Reinstall all my skid plates, then do a warm up/cool down cycle or two. Check fluids, check for leaks, check all bolts are snug etc etc. I'm anxious to try it out, but limited as my particle separator isn't properly mounted and won't be until Friday. I'll do my best to rig it up until then so I can test her out today if possible. Sadly, expecting rain all day... 443d2c5d64c0afd746c07fd5e496733d4fccee73c9543b79592371b201220a91

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
I sent oil off to be sampled. even at 2K miles the oil is still in good usable shape. i run valvoline atv/utv oil from walmart.
the manual is oil change ever 1200 miles. but that if being raced. i'm not racing mine. they say that to be on the safe side. anyhow an oil sample is the best way to see if you can extend oil drain intervals.
check out sxs adventures on FB. another one i sometimes go on is Arizona talon adventures.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Got her all finished up and tuned, heading to some local trials today. Nothing crazy just some test runs to see how she runs. Hoping to hit the larger trails later this weekend or next week. B51235e9dcd78870c8d9a88e6f067b0a8d45fef9fcf60dd216a45f3902371d2e59613a444bbafd868f32b11a3d52ce8a

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
0-60 times please

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Once the weather gets better I'll get you some times on the 0-60. I do have a lot of extra weight on the car though, rock sliders, speakers, cargo boxes etc.

It's a total different animal, especially in the woods! I'm really hoping to get out this weekend to test her out further, my buddy has a 4 seater can am X3....he wants to drag race so we'll see how it goes!

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
I thought the manual said 1200 miles and 600 was just a check? Anyway I change all my fluids at 1000miles on my Talons.
I just found out in the book. Frequency to replace oil at 100 and every 1200 after that. Thanks for making me look (again).

20220419 202545

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Once the weather gets better I'll get you some times on the 0-60. I do have a lot of extra weight on the car though, rock sliders, speakers, cargo boxes etc.

It's a total different animal, especially in the woods! I'm really hoping to get out this weekend to test her out further, my buddy has a 4 seater can am X3....he wants to drag race so we'll see how it goes!

Please report back with drag race results

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Haven't had time to ride yet, until today! It is supposed to be 83 and I'm meeting my buddies around 1. So, I'll have some info for you today assuming I can find a nice stretch to test her out.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I thought "dragy" recorded the speed, however it seems you need a gps module for it to work. Any ideas on what I can use to track?

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
I thought "dragy" recorded the speed, however it seems you need a gps module for it to work. Any ideas on what I can use to track?

I’ve used an app on my phone before.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!