Turbo Talon Owners - Would you do it all over again?

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
@Sheetmetalfab I went out to ride today, but still issues with my tune. Sorry didn't get you and times on the 0-60, still having a weird cutout around 1800-2300 rpm. What strange is it's only when under load or going up a hill, doesn't do it on a flat surface.

Email sent to tuner, I'm stumped and not sure what it could be. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fuel, maybe dirt in the throttle body since I have it opened. I bought some injector cleaner today and just put it in, we'll see though. I think it's between the throttle body and on, as they're new injectors and doubt it's the pump. Could be the tune too, who knows I'm pretty stumped.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
im sure its just the tune. i have problems with mine from time to time. do you have a wide band af gage? its good info to run

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
im sure its just the tune. i have problems with mine from time to time. do you have a wide band af gage? its good info to run
I bought the Dyno jet wideband 02 and CX module. I log it all through the PV3, are you running the Kraftwerks kit?

Also, do you notice it on hills or under load more so than on flat ground?

It's to the point where I almost needed winched off a couple hills. Takes me 5-6 tries, she just stalls over and over continuously.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I bought the Dyno jet wideband 02 and CX module. I log it all through the PV3, are you running the Kraftwerks kit?

Also, do you notice it on hills or under load more so than on flat ground?

It's to the point where I almost needed winched off a couple hills. Takes me 5-6 tries, she just stalls over and over continuously.

Time to have a serious chat with the turbo mfg…….

Reactions: CID
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
like I said, open a line of communication with Eric at PPEI. KW doesn't have their tune dialed in yet.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Worked with Erik today, got a solid tune that seems to work well! We'll see when I get out to the trails this weekend (to truly test it!).

Reactions: Killer223 and CID
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
I was also having alot of probs with tune at no boost. at full boost it rips. but the low end on my tune needed more work than the high end

Reactions: Smitty335
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
So that latest tune feels really solid, pretty happy with it.

I was told if I want to run over 12 lb of boost that I should do studs? I might be way off on that but how big of a job is it to do the upgrades if I wanted to run more boost?

Guessing pistons are a big one too, but I'm guessing this is a fairly large job?

She's got tons of power now, I'm looking forward to getting out and riding. Just curious in the event that I need more horsepower!

Just watched this video, impressive numbers!

Last edited:
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
So that latest tune feels really solid, pretty happy with it.

I was told if I want to run over 12 lb of boost that I should do studs? I might be way off on that but how big of a job is it to do the upgrades if I wanted to run more boost?

Guessing pistons are a big one too, but I'm guessing this is a fairly large job?

She's got tons of power now, I'm looking forward to getting out and riding. Just curious in the event that I need more horsepower!

Just watched this video, impressive numbers!

If you can actually locate and get the pistons, it's not hard to swap them. oil pan off the bottom, head off. push them out the top, set ring gap, reinstall. could be done in a day. put that on the list of thing you need to do. as the stock talon pistons will crack. not sure about the pioneer ones, as they are heavier. But someday they WILL crack the skirts.

Reactions: Many_Gs
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
Im running 16 lbs of boost without studs. i just torqued them a bit more. they are only 55 ftlbs and they are m12 bolts. with alot of threads. they can take more. pistons are a must absolute must

Reactions: Many_Gs
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks guys, after watching Russel's video and seeing he had a piston that started to crack it worries me.

Recommendations on brand of pistons & studs? Maybe I'll start looking and consider both, definitely don't want a piston cracking.

Edit: I can't help but wonder what the next weak link is. Wondering what kind of power our transmissions will hold up to. What's next kind of game that'll empty the bank account quickly lol. I'd love to run more boost but gotta wonder how strong the trans is.

Last edited:
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
so far pistons is the weak link. my number one piston skirt cracked and broke off parts. trans holds up well so far. have 3200 miles on it with turbo. i change my oil every 300 miles, but i beat on it pretty hard.

• Wow
Reactions: CID and Smitty335
ToolTime

ToolTime

Oct 10, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon X
I would recommend you get your pistons from Chad at DR Powersports. He had Carrillo build a custom size that has a little more sidewall clearance than the Carrillo off the shelf units. When I upped the boost the extra heat caused the pistons to swell enough to score against the cylinder. FWIW I dyno tested each step of the way, base Talon was 90-93 at the wheels, stock w/stock Jackson kit 120-126, PPEI tune with fuel rail, pressure regulator with fuel return to tank, injectors, 3 bar map and Graves exhaust with spark arrestor removed I saw 150-154. The internal waste gate is too small without some work to bleed off enough pressure causing boost creep, I didn’t capture the boost pressure on that run but ended up putting the spark arrestor back in to provide enough back pressure to hold the boost numbers down. Now with a good set of Brain Crower Rods and the additional piston clearance, I am hoping to be able to look at some higher boost numbers. MDFMac, do you know what your piston to wall clearance was on the pistons you installed? Every dyno is different and every operator different, for my testing I just wanted to compare my mods and every test was with the same dyno and operator. This is on a pretty high end hub mounted dyno capable of steady state testing (hold the vehicle at a certain rpm and you can monitor everything from part throttle though to WOT without the rpms ever changing)
3477D151 1184 4824 851A 21E84233B4CE

Reactions: CID and Adam490
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
no i do not know. i put in wisco 9to1. i wish i had a dyno near me. at least a dyno with some one that knows the talon. some day i will buy one ...... i am pulling my pan off for the first time since i put the pistons in soon and will be checking it over. i think i have 1500 miles on these pistons. hard miles not as hard as racing but i beat her up a bit. my next thing is to get better valve springs. i keep breaking valve tappets on the exhaust valves. normally on the rev limiter, witch is set at 9500 i believe. but for now im down till i get some time to take off the manifold. i landed hard last Sunday and broke off the flange on #2 cylinder.

ToolTime

ToolTime

Oct 10, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon X
no i do not know. i put in wisco 9to1. i wish i had a dyno near me. at least a dyno with some one that knows the talon. some day i will buy one ...... i am pulling my pan off for the first time since i put the pistons in soon and will be checking it over. i think i have 1500 miles on these pistons. hard miles not as hard as racing but i beat her up a bit. my next thing is to get better valve springs. i keep breaking valve tappets on the exhaust valves. normally on the rev limiter, witch is set at 9500 i believe. but for now im down till i get some time to take off the manifold. i landed hard last Sunday and broke off the flange on #2 cylinder.
Ouch, that is a rough landing! So far no issue’s with valve tappets yet here, I did find the exhaust side a touch loose when I tore it down on the rear cylinder, the one with the most sidewall damage to the cylinder, not sure if that it related or not. I did have symptoms of something going wrong before I tore it down, she was starting to smoke out the exhaust.

Drainbung

Drainbung

Jun 11, 2021
Fallabama, NV
Ownership

1. Talon X4
It was very over priced, for what it is. It sucks they want you to run the stock exhaust, and their air filter design is terrible to service. I did a similar Donaldson system as the previous post, but used the “top spin” unit on top of the Donaldson canister . Also used intercooler hose for a cleaner look. Also replaced the stock pistons with 9:1 forged pistons. I’m currently waiting for Erik at PPei to get the tune perfected to run a pipe. He has many hours of dyno time with the Talon, and is getting really close to releasing a tune that will get over 200 hp at the rear wheel. Sounds like a bigger fuel pump and injectors will be needed for the added HP.

View attachment 322511 View attachment 322512 View attachment 322515

Any chance anyone has the part numbers for this Donaldson/Top Spin Setup? I'm about ready to take the copper vitamin trying to clean the Jackson setup and there upgrade doesn't really make changing/cleaning the filter any easier. Thanks, I tried to lookup Donaldson 3" cartridges but it was rough.

Reactions: BobFarrell
Drainbung

Drainbung

Jun 11, 2021
Fallabama, NV
Ownership

1. Talon X4

I'm going to give Jackson a call today and find out what you get for $299. You'd still be stuck having to pull that damned fender liner out is my complaint.

EDIT: Just spoke with Jackson about the upgrade. You get a complete new filter housing with the flange/adapter and solid cover.

Last edited:
M

mmjsport

Apr 23, 2021
California
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Being able to use the particle separator with a pre filter would be awesome if that’s even possible. If so, it might make the stock filter last a longggg time.

Reactions: BobFarrell
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Being able to use the particle separator with a pre filter would be awesome if that’s even possible. If so, it might make the stock filter last a longggg time.
i had an S&B before my stock jackson filter. yes it helped but the K&N is junk. and still dusted my engine. after i researched and got the donaldson installed no more dust issues.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!