P500 Ultimate Superwinch Installation Guide

M

Muleycrazy5130

Oct 14, 2018
Middton ID
Ownership

1. 500
hello Jason
amazing write up and pics to go along with it! would you be so kind as to email me a copy of the PDF instructions as well? [email protected] thank you again for taking the time to put this thread out for us to reference!

Reactions: Montecresto
dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Great write up, wish I had seen it before I did my install, also a Terra 45. I did most of what you did, here are just a couple of comments on things I did that you didn't mention.

Since you have to reverse the cables (yellow/blue from battery to solenoid red/black from solenoid to winch) I color coded the wires with tape to match colors on solenoid to remind me what I did. I used 1 feed from the sub harness to power both the hand held remote and dash switch. I also used automotive conduit on the run from the battery to the solenoid and solenoid to winch. Lastly, I didn't use any of the mounting hardware except screws (it's made for handlebars) for the dash switch. I did have to reverse the cover of the switch so that the mounting nuts on the switch were on top. I also used the mounting hardware as a template for my dash to locate the screw holes. Holding the bracket to the dash I used a soldering iron to cut the holes in the dash and used the included screws. Made another hole behind the switch to run the wires.

Not sure where I want to mount the remote socket, any suggestion would be appreciated especially if you can include your rational for that location. Thanks in advance.

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Not sure where I want to mount the remote socket, any suggestion would be appreciated especially if you can include your rational for that location. Thanks in advance.
I mounted mine beside the 12v accessory outlet; it is in about the center of the P500 so I will have the maximum length of wire from wherever I may be standing

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Had good luck using a utility knife for dash cut outs, just wiggle the blade and take it slow.

Reactions: Chooglin
M

MikeJWinter

All,

I picked up a number of useful tips on these threads prior to installing my Superwinch Terra 4500 on my P5. I wanted to combine all the best tips plus some of my own to create the ultimate winch installation guide.

The mounting plate I used was from KFI Products. It’s a wonderful fit and allows for the winch to be mounted top side. The Warn kit marketed by Honda uses an upside mount but I like this style much better as the finished product will sit as shown in PIC1. Found mine on Amazon for $50.

http://www.kfiproducts.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=571

Moving on to wiring. Yes its true they will be switched. The shorter red and black cables will go from the solenoid to the winch itself. The longer blue and yellow cables will extend from the solenoid all the way back to the battery box.

But let’s start from the beginning. First there are many threads about the use of Honda’s accessory Harness when not using the Honda kit from Warn. I purchased it from my dealer just in case. For a measly $10 it proved itself invaluable and I’ll explain how in this section. It’s Honda part number 08Z08-HL5-A00. One end plugs into the 4P red connector under the hood. Once the harness is plugged in you have 4 open female cables (each of a different color) that receive power when ignition key is on. In the PIC2 I’m holding the harness. By the end of my installation I used 2 of the 4 open connections.

So basically the rocker switch needs power as does the optional remote socket if you choose to mount and use it. The Superwinch instructions tell you to splice into the ignition switch wires. Other threads on these forums have discussed splicing into the 12v accessory wire also. This is where the sub harness came in handy. Instead of splicing anything I bought two male connectors (shown in PIC3) for $1 and crimped on the wires to power the both the rocker switch and the remote socket, then plugged these male connectors into the sub-harness. No splicing needed.

Incidentally there has been much discussion on these forums as to the ideal location to mount the rocker switch and/or socket assembly. PIC4 is where I chose to mount them.

Moving on – the solenoid itself is mounted in the only location it can be and the one agreed by all in these forums. As you are facing the front its on the left hand side near the back – here Honda left a frame crossmember with openings designed for the solenoid installation. Please see PIC5 – the hardware from the superwinch kit will allow you to mount it here.

PIC6 shows how I routed the red and black wires from the solenoid down to the winch. That part was easy.

To run the blue and yellow cables back to the battery I did drop the skid plates. Some if these forums did the same some did not. I figured if it made it at all easier I would do the extra step. Once skid plates were off I initially dropped the blue and yellow wires down from the solenoid, behind the coolant overflow and right alongside a black electrical tube as shown in PIC7. Once that was done it was quite easy to route them along the frame to the back end.

Now here comes the tricky part. Many people have done many different things when it comes to hooking the yellow and blue wires to the battery. In addition, some people have utilized the provided circuit breaker from Superwinch, others have not. Here is what worked for me.

The blue wire (which goes to the negative post) was very easy. There is room for one wire to sneak in with the ones already in place. I simply routed my blue one into the box with the others. PIC8 and PIC9 show two different views of the blue wire – one with battery cover on and one with it off.

Now for the yellow wire. PIC9 and PIC10 show how I decided to route it. I ended up drilling a hole in the bottom of the battery box on the left hand side and came up through the hole.

Inside the battery box on the left hand side where my yellow wire came up is a plastic slot. I filed that down just a bit with a Dremel and was able to stand the circuit breaker up. The yellow wire attaches to the bottom of the circuit breaker and the short supplied red one attaches the other end of the breaker to the actual positive post as shown in PIC11.

Once everything was connected I zip tied the yellow and blue wires to the frame in spots and put back on the skid plates. Then I tidied up under the hood as best I could be wrapping excess wires for the rocker switch and socket assembly, etc..etc…

I truly hope this helps! Thanks to everyone whose ideas helped get me this far.

Kind Regards,

Jason

View attachment 6997 View attachment 6998 View attachment 6999 View attachment 7000 View attachment 7001 View attachment 7002 View attachment 7003 View attachment 7004 View attachment 7005 View attachment 7006 View attachment 7007
Jason could you please email a complete copy of instructions for your winch installation to [email protected]. I'd greatly appreciate it in that I'm about to go through same process. Thx Mike Winter

M

mgm1035

Jan 14, 2019
Madison
Ownership

1. 500
I’m in the middle of my install as we speak, Tera 45 Superwinch with a KFI mount. This is a great write up, I’m not trying to hijack your thread or take anything away from your post. This post helped me, but I’m the type of person which learns better by watching. With your write up and the following video, I hope this helps the next person. I found this video one trailer.com, it’s a Tera45 Superwinch install on a Ranger. Not the same as the P500, but a very similar install. It’s also shows detailed instructions on how to cut out the atv, type winch switch and wire in a winch rocker switch. Hope this helps others.....

Superwinch Terra Series ATV Winch Installation - 2016 Polaris Ranger Video | etrailer.com

papermaker

papermaker

Jan 18, 2019
Lewiston, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I bought the superwinch 4000, and the cables that go back to the battery are to short. My question is, can I splice a short piece of cable or should I use one long piece?

16p500

16p500

May 13, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I bought the superwinch 4000, and the cables that go back to the battery are to short. My question is, can I splice a short piece of cable or should I use one long piece?
Just reverse the cables. Yellow and blue (longer cables) to battery. Red and black (shorter cables) to winch. I wouldn't splice.

Reactions: Gassygordo
papermaker

papermaker

Jan 18, 2019
Lewiston, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Nope, It only came with red and black, two about 2 ft. long and two about 6 ft. long.

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
Just last month i bought and installed a 3500 Superwinch. Mine came with yellow and blue and the red and black. I just swapped the longer ones and they will reach from the battery if you route them right. I ran mine alongside the main factory wiring along the frame. Dropping the skid plates makes this easy. Zip tie them and you are ready. I also wrapped mine in cable sheathing for abrasion protection.
I do not know why you did not get different colored cables but the longer 6 ft ones should do the trick. Just keep the positive negative cables ID ed and it ought to go together smoothly. For me the hardest part of the cable install was replacing the skid plate. Hard to line up all the holes and hold it in place at the same time.

Reactions: papermaker
16p500

16p500

May 13, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Nope, It only came with red and black, two about 2 ft. long and two about 6 ft. long.
I installed a terra 45 and the wiring was the perfect length. Maybe the Lt series come with different wiring. I didn't measure the length before I installed it, but from what I can roughly measure now there about 7 1/2 feet (blue & yellow).
20190317 095317

RoadGator916

RoadGator916

Jan 23, 2019
MinneSNOWta
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I’m in the middle of my install as we speak, Tera 45 Superwinch with a KFI mount. This is a great write up, I’m not trying to hijack your thread or take anything away from your post. This post helped me, but I’m the type of person which learns better by watching. With your write up and the following video, I hope this helps the next person. I found this video one trailer.com, it’s a Tera45 Superwinch install on a Ranger. Not the same as the P500, but a very similar install. It’s also shows detailed instructions on how to cut out the atv, type winch switch and wire in a winch rocker switch. Hope this helps others.....

Superwinch Terra Series ATV Winch Installation - 2016 Polaris Ranger Video | etrailer.com

I'm in the process of wiring my winch and this along with the video have been very helpful. If you want to use a different switch other then the one provided the video shows how to change that over. I bought the superwinch 45 and a different switch for the dash, hopefully I won't have any issues finishing up my install. I have 2 little kids at home so I haven't been able to just sit down and work on this project it has been 15 mins here and half hour there when time allows.

C

Chooglin

I'm in the process of wiring my winch and this along with the video have been very helpful. If you want to use a different switch other then the one provided the video shows how to change that over. I bought the superwinch 45 and a different switch for the dash, hopefully I won't have any issues finishing up my install. I have 2 little kids at home so I haven't been able to just sit down and work on this project it has been 15 mins here and half hour there when time allows.
Screenshot 2018 09 28 09 04 49

RoadGator916

RoadGator916

Jan 23, 2019
MinneSNOWta
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I got my Terra Winch all installed and tried to use the corded switch that it comes with. I have all of the wires twisted together with the regular winch connections but it doesn't work. Any ideas why? My first guess would be power but I twisted the two power wires together into a bullet connector to go into the accessory harness when I installed it. Only other thing I just thought of is I need to double check the ground wire but I'm pretty sure I did that as well. I will double check it when I get home.

Oh and the regular switch for the winch works fine.

M

mgm1035

Jan 14, 2019
Madison
Ownership

1. 500
I got my Terra Winch all installed and tried to use the corded switch that it comes with. I have all of the wires twisted together with the regular winch connections but it doesn't work. Any ideas why? My first guess would be power but I twisted the two power wires together into a bullet connector to go into the accessory harness when I installed it. Only other thing I just thought of is I need to double check the ground wire but I'm pretty sure I did that as well. I will double check it when I get home.

Oh and the regular switch for the winch works fine.
If you have a remote switch, the corded one see if that works. If that works then you know you hooked it up right. If that doesn’t work well then you know it’s bigger problems, then switch. I would guess it’s ground wire

Reactions: RoadGator916
RoadGator916

RoadGator916

Jan 23, 2019
MinneSNOWta
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
If you have a remote switch, the corded one see if that works. If that works then you know you hooked it up right. If that doesn’t work well then you know it’s bigger problems, then switch. I would guess it’s ground wire

Ya the corded one that I have is the one that does not work. It only has 3 wires one for in one for out and the power wire. I am going to take apart the connector I used to plug into the Honda accessory harness and make sure that connection is good. If it is fine there is either something wrong with the cord part or the plug in.

S

SGMJohnson

Jan 14, 2020
Autryville, NC
Ownership

1. 500
It appears some of the pics had their orientation changed from how I took them. Originally I wrote these procedures up in a word doc with very large pics attached and if anyone wants the docx or the pdf version emailed to them let me know. It's a much cleaner read. Thx!
Hope you still have them around, I'd like a copy. [email protected] thanks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!