P500 Ultimate Superwinch Installation Guide

J

JasonS

Jun 18, 2015
All,

I picked up a number of useful tips on these threads prior to installing my Superwinch Terra 4500 on my P5. I wanted to combine all the best tips plus some of my own to create the ultimate winch installation guide.

The mounting plate I used was from KFI Products. It’s a wonderful fit and allows for the winch to be mounted top side. The Warn kit marketed by Honda uses an upside mount but I like this style much better as the finished product will sit as shown in PIC1. Found mine on Amazon for $50.

http://www.kfiproducts.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=571

Moving on to wiring. Yes its true they will be switched. The shorter red and black cables will go from the solenoid to the winch itself. The longer blue and yellow cables will extend from the solenoid all the way back to the battery box.

But let’s start from the beginning. First there are many threads about the use of Honda’s accessory Harness when not using the Honda kit from Warn. I purchased it from my dealer just in case. For a measly $10 it proved itself invaluable and I’ll explain how in this section. It’s Honda part number 08Z08-HL5-A00. One end plugs into the 4P red connector under the hood. Once the harness is plugged in you have 4 open female cables (each of a different color) that receive power when ignition key is on. In the PIC2 I’m holding the harness. By the end of my installation I used 2 of the 4 open connections.

So basically the rocker switch needs power as does the optional remote socket if you choose to mount and use it. The Superwinch instructions tell you to splice into the ignition switch wires. Other threads on these forums have discussed splicing into the 12v accessory wire also. This is where the sub harness came in handy. Instead of splicing anything I bought two male connectors (shown in PIC3) for $1 and crimped on the wires to power the both the rocker switch and the remote socket, then plugged these male connectors into the sub-harness. No splicing needed.

Incidentally there has been much discussion on these forums as to the ideal location to mount the rocker switch and/or socket assembly. PIC4 is where I chose to mount them.

Moving on – the solenoid itself is mounted in the only location it can be and the one agreed by all in these forums. As you are facing the front its on the left hand side near the back – here Honda left a frame crossmember with openings designed for the solenoid installation. Please see PIC5 – the hardware from the superwinch kit will allow you to mount it here.

PIC6 shows how I routed the red and black wires from the solenoid down to the winch. That part was easy.

To run the blue and yellow cables back to the battery I did drop the skid plates. Some if these forums did the same some did not. I figured if it made it at all easier I would do the extra step. Once skid plates were off I initially dropped the blue and yellow wires down from the solenoid, behind the coolant overflow and right alongside a black electrical tube as shown in PIC7. Once that was done it was quite easy to route them along the frame to the back end.

Now here comes the tricky part. Many people have done many different things when it comes to hooking the yellow and blue wires to the battery. In addition, some people have utilized the provided circuit breaker from Superwinch, others have not. Here is what worked for me.

The blue wire (which goes to the negative post) was very easy. There is room for one wire to sneak in with the ones already in place. I simply routed my blue one into the box with the others. PIC8 and PIC9 show two different views of the blue wire – one with battery cover on and one with it off.

Now for the yellow wire. PIC9 and PIC10 show how I decided to route it. I ended up drilling a hole in the bottom of the battery box on the left hand side and came up through the hole.

Inside the battery box on the left hand side where my yellow wire came up is a plastic slot. I filed that down just a bit with a Dremel and was able to stand the circuit breaker up. The yellow wire attaches to the bottom of the circuit breaker and the short supplied red one attaches the other end of the breaker to the actual positive post as shown in PIC11.

Once everything was connected I zip tied the yellow and blue wires to the frame in spots and put back on the skid plates. Then I tidied up under the hood as best I could be wrapping excess wires for the rocker switch and socket assembly, etc..etc…

I truly hope this helps! Thanks to everyone whose ideas helped get me this far.

Kind Regards,

Jason

Pic1 Pic2 Pic3 Pic4 Pic5 Pic6 Pic7 Pic8 Pic9 Pic10 Pic11

J

JasonS

Jun 18, 2015
Good job thanks for the write up
It appears some of the pics had their orientation changed from how I took them. Originally I wrote these procedures up in a word doc with very large pics attached and if anyone wants the docx or the pdf version emailed to them let me know. It's a much cleaner read. Thx!

Reactions: Buryit
C

Carman

Nov 25, 2015
It appears some of the pics had their orientation changed from how I took them. Originally I wrote these procedures up in a word doc with very large pics attached and if anyone wants the docx or the pdf version emailed to them let me know. It's a much cleaner read. Thx!
I would like for you to email me a copy My email address is [email protected] Thanks and you did a great job on mounting your winch.

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
Thanks for the detailed installation instructions! I was inspired by your write up and installed the same winch on my P500. It worked out great!

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
This is a great guide thank you very much. The superwinch terra 45 is on my wish list and likely my next purchase . I plan on trying to hitch mount it though with quick connects front and back. The guide with still be a great resource.

scottp500

scottp500

Jun 24, 2015
Hey, need a little advice. I installed a superwinch 3500 on my P5 a few months ago and it worked fine until today. I went out to plow some and the winch wouldnd work. I'm kinda of an electrical dummy but heres what I know. I have power from the battery to the solenoid but no power from solenoid to winch. The solenoid clicks when I activate the in/out switch. So I'm thinking its the solenoid. Is there any way I can tell for sure? Can I put a jumper wire from battery side to winch side? Thanks for your help guys.

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
Hey, need a little advice. I installed a superwinch 3500 on my P5 a few months ago and it worked fine until today. I went out to plow some and the winch wouldnd work. I'm kinda of an electrical dummy but heres what I know. I have power from the battery to the solenoid but no power from solenoid to winch. The solenoid clicks when I activate the in/out switch. So I'm thinking its the solenoid. Is there any way I can tell for sure? Can I put a jumper wire from battery side to winch side? Thanks for your help guys.
If I were you, I would first check all of my connections, especially the battery connections. Make sure they are all tight. I always put some battery grease on the connections to ensure no corrosion will form. Then, if it is still not working you should be able to bypass the solenoid with TWO jumpers. You can screw on one and just touch the other one to the terminals, shouldn't matter which terminal you use, make sure you jump from the battery side to the winch side. Hope this helps.

scottp500

scottp500

Jun 24, 2015
If I were you, I would first check all of my connections, especially the battery connections. Make sure they are all tight. I always put some battery grease on the connections to ensure no corrosion will form. Then, if it is still not working you should be able to bypass the solenoid with TWO jumpers. You can screw on one and just touch the other one to the terminals, shouldn't matter which terminal you use, make sure you jump from the battery side to the winch side. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply, turned out to be a loose connection at the circuit breaker, :)

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sorry if the question seems stupid, but if you don't know anything about winches????? With the P-500 weighing about 1200-1300 ponds with accessories and gear, why are people installing 4500 or even 3500 lb. winches? Wouldn't a 2000 lb winch due fine?

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I am not 100% sure but I think the extra pulling power is the overcome extra friction of being stuck in mud or caught on rocks, logs and dirt while hanging off a steep bank. Plus this is a Honda so you will be pulling friends out with broken axels etc they may weigh even more. You can never add too much power. More Power uggh

Reactions: Eltobgi
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Correct me if I'm wrong but you start with winch doubled weight of your rig. I think 3500 is top of what I think reasonable for p500.

Reactions: Mudder
cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
Sorry if the question seems stupid, but if you don't know anything about winches????? With the P-500 weighing about 1200-1300 ponds with accessories and gear, why are people installing 4500 or even 3500 lb. winches? Wouldn't a 2000 lb winch due fine?
Not a stupid question. The main reason I put a 4500 lb winch on my machine is Amazon had them on sale. The price difference between a 2500 vs. a 4500 was about $40.00 if I remember right. Also, it only weighed another 4 lbs. Win-win situation in my opinion.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Not a stupid question. The main reason I put a 4500 lb winch on my machine is Amazon had them on sale. The price difference between a 2500 vs. a 4500 was about $40.00 if I remember right. Also, it only weighed another 4 lbs. Win-win situation in my opinion.
I see. So does that mean that a 2,500 would be sufficient?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
In my opinion, yes. If you go with a 2500, throw in a snatch block also, if you get it in a bind the 2500 would probably benefit with some more leverage. ct
Thanks buddy. Ran into the same thing as you did, so little price difference in the 2,500 and the 3,500 I went with the 3,500. It's on it's way as we speak!

Reactions: cthack
Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I ordered a superwinch terra 45 sr last night from the superwinch store directly they had a deal and gave a free cover but the synthetic rope version (I will only use synthetic rope) was cheaper than the 25 or the 35 and about $30 cheaper than Amazon.

Reactions: cthack
Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I ordered a superwinch terra 45 sr last night from the superwinch store directly they had a deal and gave a free cover but the synthetic rope version (I will only use synthetic rope) was cheaper than the 25 or the 35 and about $30 cheaper than Amazon.
Got the winch tonight I'm excited reading over the guide to get ready to install it maybe tomorrow night. I'm doing mine a bit different as I am putting a second battery up front I already have quick connects so I can hitch mount it. To start I'm going to mount regular and and hitch mount later when I get the mount and a hitch point for the front. I am not sure if I should run a wire to the rear for the quick connect or just put another solenoid in the rear.

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
Another reason the 4500 lb winch is a good one to get is if you look at the ratings at 2500 it uses around 105 amps and at 3500 it uses 140 amps vs 162 and 190 for the actual 2500 and 3500 winches I think is a little slower at 3500 though.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Bolting a Superwinch into a Strong Made bumper ain't nothin nice! Had to cut a 1/2" b/o wrench in half to access a couple nuts, and then couldn't get the needed torque for a 5/16 bolt. I'll be keeping an eye on those two. Wish SM provided lock nuts instead of lock washers.

Reactions: Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!