P1000 UPDATED 9/16; Wheel and Tire Help--14 x 7 Wheels all around, but with wider tires in back? With pictures!

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've been grinding this wheel and tire thing to dust. The problem is I get busy and then have to reconstruct some of my thinking/research.

Ok, I bought 4 of these wheels:

KMC Addict 2 Beadlock 14 x 7 (all 4 wheels)

But, I bought 2 different size tires, 27 x 9 (front) and 27 x 11 (rear):

ITP Mud Lite XTR

The wheels and tires are awesome, but I started second guessing myself; here are my questions:

1. I have 4 of the same wheel size, but do not really want the same size tires all around. I think 9s all around are too skinny, 11s around are too fat. Given that, should have ordered a 14 x 10 wheel in rear?

2. Is there really any difference when putting a 11 in. tire on a 7 in. wheel as opposed to a 10 in. wheel? This article makes it sound like the same size wheel all around is fine (I agree I think), but I'm just concerned that I should have ordered the larger wheel.

Pure Offroad explainer on aftermarket wheel sizes

Here is what it looks like mounting (haven't completed it yet, wanted to ask here first):

IMG 20200914 214522

Just with the tire sitting on the wheel, there's about a 1-2 in. gap (14 x 7 wheel and 27 x 11 tire).

IMG 20200914 214527

Closer view with gap.

IMG 20200914 214612

I'm kneeling on the tire to press it down. I can do it, but it will be a bit of work getting the bead lock on

3. Also, I need much longer lugs, how do I find the right size?

The center caps for these things are hard to find, any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wheels are fine. Should of went with a 10" wide tire. I ordered 14x7 wheels all the way around. But went with a 30x10x14 tire. All the way around. Might be hard to stagger tires on wheels that are all the same size.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Isaiah
T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks, but there is no ITP Mud Lite XTRs in the 10 in. size. Anyone have an 11 in. tire on a 7 in. wheel?

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Will it work? Yea, you can put it together, it will hold air, and roll around. But is it the best way to do it? Probably not.

Just my 2 cents. I think putting that wide of tire on a 7 in rim is going to cause the sidewall to have a more significant angle to it. I think it would also have a higher potential for pinch flats. You'll want to consider the type of riding you do.

However, I don't know what the tire truly measures for width. You can certainly give it a try and see how it goes. If you can get the bead lock seated properly you might get along fine.

After all that being said. I have a set of 28x10 tires on 7 inch wide rims. They are great! So how much difference does that extra inch really make?

MuskyHunter

MuskyHunter

Sep 2, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can I ask where you got the wheels? I have been looking for a set in grey.

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Can I ask where you got the wheels? I have been looking for a set in grey.

I got them from Powersportsid.com. I was floored that they were in stock. Like you, I had been searching forever and everyone that offered them only had them backordered 2 months. I didn't do much research on Powersportsid before, but saw lots of bad reviews after I ordered. They are essentially only a drop shipper, but my order was only delayed about a week after the original ship date. They answered my questions every time. So far so good on that one. We'll see if I try to return, but I doubt it.

Thanks for the link!

Reactions: MuskyHunter
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Th
I got them from Powersportsid.com. I was floored that they were in stock. Like you, I had been searching forever and everyone that offered them only had them backordered 2 months. I didn't do much research on Powersportsid before, but saw lots of bad reviews after I ordered. They are essentially only a drop shipper, but my order was only delayed about a week after the original ship date. They answered my questions every time. So far so good on that one. We'll see if I try to return, but I doubt it.

Thanks for the link!
This can be done. It's not a big deal. If fighting the beadlock rings get a few sizes long bolts to help draw the ring down in steps until you can use the correct length. I had to do this putting outback Max's on 7" wheels. As for how it turns out even if on the recommended wheel size the tires wont measure the same true height in two different widths. I would run them you'll just notice the front wheels take more damage due to the lack of sidewall bulging like the rear will have. Also I know 9" wide seems to narrow but they will work just fine. I've also ran a 28-8.50 all they way around.

Reactions: TripleB
MuskyHunter

MuskyHunter

Sep 2, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks for the link!
Thanks for the info. They look to be sold out. I will keep looking.

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Th
This can be done. It's not a big deal. If fighting the beadlock rings get a few sizes long bolts to help draw the ring down in steps until you can use the correct length. I had to do this putting outback Max's on 7" wheels. As for how it turns out even if on the recommended wheel size the tires wont measure the same true height in two different widths. I would run them you'll just notice the front wheels take more damage due to the lack of sidewall bulging like the rear will have. Also I know 9" wide seems to narrow but they will work just fine. I've also ran a 28-8.50 all they way around.

Thanks for your input. The last piece to the puzzle is I don't have the 9 in. tires yet, only the rear ones. They should be delivered today and maybe they're really beefy enough to just do 9s all the way around. The 11s measure bigger off the rim of course.

This whole wheel thing was a pain because of the OEM weirdness and numerous aftermarket choices, laid on top of the fact that everything is backordered out of stock!

advertisement
T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok, here is an update. I was able to easily mount the 11 in. tires on the 7 in. wheel. I used large 24 in. clamps and 2x4 pieces to hold the tire to the wheel and set the ring. I highly recommend this technique. It's really easy and sets the bead evenly on the wheel for easy beadlock clamping.

I used anti-seize on the bolts and progressively tightened them in a star pattern, marking them as I went. I used 4 tightening sequences; 1) hand tight; 2) 10 ft.lbs.; 3) 20 ft.lbs.; 4) 25 ft.lbs.

What really pisses me off is there is no specific torque spec in the instructions. It just gives ranges for various different products offered by KMC. It's all legalese to cover every single product, EXCEPT the specific one sold. Anyone who can find the specific setting, please let me know, but everyone online seems to use between 20-30 ft.lbs. for the beadlock ring.

I think the wheels and tires look great (they are over pressured to 20 lbs for overnight test in the final pics.
IMG 20200915 174048

IMG 20200915 174058

IMG 20200915 202352

IMG 20200915 202358

IMG 20200915 220051

IMG 20200915 181159

MuskyHunter

MuskyHunter

Sep 2, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They look good mounted up. DO they measure a true 7" wide between beads?

T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
They look good mounted up. DO they measure a true 7" wide between beads?

Looks like 6.75 in. (inside bead to inside bead) and 7.25 [Edited from 7.375](outside bead to outside bead).

IMG 20200916 093141

IMG 20200916 093114

Last edited:
Reactions: MuskyHunter
T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Mopower, I think those look great. So far as I can tell, there's not much difference between a 14x7 in. wheel compared to a 14x10 in. wheel with an 11 in. wide tire. I'm getting the front tires today, so I'll update the thread with the final look so everyone can see what they think.

Just speculating here, but the larger wheel may flatten the rear tire out a bit. I think I like the look of it without that. We'll have to see if it's even noticeable in performance, but I doubt it.

Reactions: Mopower58
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mopower, I think those look great. So far as I can tell, there's not much difference between a 14x7 in. wheel compared to a 14x10 in. wheel with an 11 in. wide tire. I'm getting the front tires today, so I'll update the thread with the final look so everyone can see what they think.

Just speculating here, but the larger wheel may flatten the rear tire out a bit. I think I like the look of it without that. We'll have to see if it's even noticeable in performance, but I doubt it.
Thank you! I also used an @RB3offroad 1 inch spacer on the rear to even up the track width.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok, here is an update. I was able to easily mount the 11 in. tires on the 7 in. wheel. I used large 24 in. clamps and 2x4 pieces to hold the tire to the wheel and set the ring. I highly recommend this technique. It's really easy and sets the bead evenly on the wheel for easy beadlock clamping.

I used anti-seize on the bolts and progressively tightened them in a star pattern, marking them as I went. I used 4 tightening sequences; 1) hand tight; 2) 10 ft.lbs.; 3) 20 ft.lbs.; 4) 25 ft.lbs.

What really pisses me off is there is no specific torque spec in the instructions. It just gives ranges for various different products offered by KMC. It's all legalese to cover every single product, EXCEPT the specific one sold. Anyone who can find the specific setting, please let me know, but everyone online seems to use between 20-30 ft.lbs. for the beadlock ring.

I think the wheels and tires look great (they are over pressured to 20 lbs for overnight test in the final pics.
View attachment 224488

View attachment 224487
View attachment 224489
View attachment 224490
View attachment 224491
View attachment 224492

Looks good. Those tires will really get around.

Reactions: thirdparty

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!