P500 Upgrading tires for hill climbing

Q

qflyer

Feb 8, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 500
Hey everyone! New to posting on the forums, but spent hours on here researching before I recently bought a new 2017 Pioneer 500. I bought the machine to carry myself, my wife, and stuff down to the lake. Total load will generally be 300-400 lbs. I have a gravel driveway that runs about half way down to a flat landing. That slope is only about 20 degrees, and the pioneer handles that fine in 2wd.

The next slope is a bit steeper and not improved in any way. The hill is a smooth, constant 35-40 degree slope (70-84 percent grade). It's roughly a 50 foot elevation change from top to bottom.

I tried it out the other day when the ground was wet from a recent rain. It went down the hill just fine, but would not come back up. Power was not the problem, but traction was non-existent on the wet dirt and leaf-covered hill. The treads filled with mud instantly and wouldn't do anything but spin. I didn't have time to try dropping tire pressure, so I just went back up via my neighbor's paved pathway. I think it would *probably* have gone up the hill okay had it been dry. Also note that I don't have room to get a running start up the hill, nor would I want to. I want to go up the hill nice and easy so I don't tear it up or scare the wife.

Considering all that, I want to try new tires before I call an excavator to cut a trail. Main goals are: added traction on packed hard dirt wet and dry, added roll stability, not increasing width beyond 52-54 inches.

After much reading, here's what I'm considering:
Rear: Maxxis Bighorn Radial Tire 26x12-12 on 4/110 ITP SS212 Alloy Series Wheel 12x7 5.0 + 2.0
Front: Maxxis Bighorn Radial Tire 26x9-12 on 4/110 ITP SS212 Alloy Series Wheel 12x7 5.0 + 2.0

Is the 26x12x12 on the rear too much tire? I'm assuming the 12 inch wide tire will provide more traction and stability vs the 9 inch wide? I'm also assuming that I gain some width with the 5/2 offset wheels vs the stock wheels? Any idea how wide the machine will be with the 12 inch rear tire on the offset wheel? I'm also open to adding the SuperATV 1.5" spacers to the front, rear, or both if that would be beneficial.

So, what's everyone think? Will the new tires give me the added traction to make it up a 35-40 degree slope at a slow/comfortable speed? How wide will I be with just the 5/2 offset wheels and 12" rear tires and 9" fronts? Is there a better tire brand or size combination for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thanks for any suggestions!

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Greetings @qflyer, and welcome from Lee County.

I've been researching tires as well and have narrowed my choice down to Bighorn's, which many people are using, but I'm leaning towards the ITP-Blackwater Evolution. I've seen some comments from others about Sedona Ripsaw R/T being great in mud but not good in deep sand, and that they throw mud and rocks.

From what I have seen on here, I don't think a 12" wide rear would be too much tire, but I'll let others who know more address that.
I have a slightly different problem as I can't increase overall height more than about 1-1/2" to still be able to fit inside my enclosed trailer, so it looks like that will mean a 25" tire for me. If I go with the 25" Evo's that will be Front 25x9-12 and Rear 25x11-12.

I've read on here that if you go up you need to go out, so you should be good with 5+2 and 1.5" spacers. Wish I could be of greater help, but hopefully others with more experience will chime in. :confused:

C

Chooglin

I can't recommend what tire to go with for traction on wet slippery hills but I can offer some info on Bighorns and spacers.

The Bighorns do very well on rocky hill climbs and in mud.

This is my current setup just to give you an idea on width of machine , with 5+2 wheels and spacers.

Today I moved my 1.00" spacers to the front and installed 1 1/2" spacers on the rear.

This is my setup now:
Front
26x9x12 Bighorn Originals , mounted on 12" 5+2 wheels with 1.00" spacers=54 3/8" width.

Rear
26x9x12 Bighorn Originals , mounted on 12" 5+2 wheels with 1 1/2" spacers=54" width

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the 40 slope doesn’t scare the wife? I’m guessing you’re on a lake, maybe Martin or Wedowee with terrain and since you can’t get a running start.

Welcome from Shelby County @DaddyDubbs I’m about to leave and head to Auburn for the day.

Q

qflyer

Feb 8, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 500
So the 40 slope doesn’t scare the wife? I’m guessing you’re on a lake, maybe Martin or Wedowee with terrain and since you can’t get a running start.

Welcome from Shelby County @DaddyDubbs I’m about to leave and head to Auburn for the day.
That remains to be seen. She probably won't be scared as long as she can watch me go up and down the hill safely a few times. I really don't want to spend the money on a pathway if the pioneer can handle the hill safely. I'm going to upgrade wheels and tires anyways, and it would be a bonus if they give me the traction needed to handle the slope.

Cullman side of Smith Lake.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That remains to be seen. She probably won't be scared as long as she can watch me go up and down the hill safely a few times. I really don't want to spend the money on a pathway if the pioneer can handle the hill safely. I'm going to upgrade wheels and tires anyways, and it would be a bonus if they give me the traction needed to handle the slope.

Cullman side of Smith Lake.

10/4 I guessed you’d have more rock on Smith. Our place on Smith had a 80’ sheer cliff so winding staircase down was only option.

If we ride Stony Lonesome in March I’ll bring my rig with the Blackwaters and BigHorns and we can try both up the hill.

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
I have the same exact tire package OP, with the same rims from Rocky Mountain Atv. Love them, and the Bighorn originals are great with 12” of meat on the rear
Ec27e259588dbcc31914382cef94e18e
331339e84577f25789add8ab7ea3a63b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Q

qflyer

Feb 8, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 500
Can't go wrong with BH's, great all around tire. Rip Saws are better suited for mud and weigh a bit more. I also went with 9's in front and 11's in rear. Why the 12's?
I may be mistaken, but I believe the bighorns are available in 9" or 12", and the BH 2.0s are available in 9" or 11". I'll check out the Rip Saws, as I've seen them mentioned by several members.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Went with bighorn type tread, Journey 350, 27x9 on front, 27x11 on rear, on 15 inch rims. Nice traction but does throw mud chunks. Tire upgrade a big improvement and gave a smoother ride. $570 installed 1 year ago. Never stuck yet thru deep GA mud.

715E8AE2 C79E 4144 9D62 842ED5797201 C26DBBE7 3321 4401 8D57 5D559A8E0B50 A90EFCAC 4EFA 431F A6B1 DD0F95420A41

Last edited:
U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
That setup looks great! Did you use spacers as well, or just the offset wheel? How wide at front and rear wheels?

No wheel spacers needed the 5+2 rims gave me extra width. P5 is at a friends house, I think the rear is around 53-54” wide now. Here is my exact order from RMATV:

Fronts:
Maxxis Bighorn Radial Tire 26x9-12
4/110 ITP SS212 Alloy Series Wheel 12x7 5.0 + 2.0 Machined
Ride-On ATV/UTV Tire Balancer and Sealant with Mounting
ITP Tapered Chrome Lug Nut 12mm x 1.50mm Thread Pitch

Rears:
Maxxis Bighorn Radial Tire 26x12-12
4/110 ITP SS212 Alloy Series Wheel 12x7 5.0 + 2.0 Machined
Ride-On ATV/UTV Tire Balancer and Sealant with Mounting
ITP Tapered Chrome Lug Nut 12mm x 1.50mm Thread Pitch

$892 total at the time. I went through befrugal.com for some additional cash back. After I got the sweet rim and tire package I also decided to use the RMATV bucks and purchased the tusk power steering from them as well, works great. P5 also does bucket work which gets fatiguing w/o power steering. It’s a 66’’ Warn provantage plow with bucket kit.

5302a583840a311cdd299bad9c14084a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Greetings @qflyer, and welcome from Lee County.

I've been researching tires as well and have narrowed my choice down to Bighorn's, which many people are using, but I'm leaning towards the ITP-Blackwater Evolution. I've seen some comments from others about Sedona Ripsaw R/T being great in mud but not good in deep sand, and that they throw mud and rocks.

From what I have seen on here, I don't think a 12" wide rear would be too much tire, but I'll let others who know more address that.
I have a slightly different problem as I can't increase overall height more than about 1-1/2" to still be able to fit inside my enclosed trailer, so it looks like that will mean a 25" tire for me. If I go with the 25" Evo's that will be Front 25x9-12 and Rear 25x11-12.

I've read on here that if you go up you need to go out, so you should be good with 5+2 and 1.5" spacers. Wish I could be of greater help, but hopefully others with more experience will chime in. :confused:
Seen Ripsaws throw softball...size rocks..
...those behind you...beware.
wider stance will ..improve stability
& Traction..Low psi...takes away height
of tire...
I'm running Maxxis Ceros
All round tire..
9x12...front
11x12..rear
5 +2...offset
2" spacers. .on all corners
9 / 10....psi

Q

qflyer

Feb 8, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 500
Seen Ripsaws throw softball...size rocks..
...those behind you...beware.
wider stance will ..improve stability
& Traction..Low psi...takes away height
of tire...
I'm running Maxxis Ceros
All round tire..
9x12...front
11x12..rear
5 +2...offset
2" spacers. .on all corners
9 / 10....psi
That's gotta push you up to around 56-57" wide?

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I'm running a big horn knockoff in 25" and the difference over the stock tires is huge. I think about anything you pick in the bighorn or ripsaw styles will get you up that hill.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey everyone! New to posting on the forums, but spent hours on here researching before I recently bought a new 2017 Pioneer 500. I bought the machine to carry myself, my wife, and stuff down to the lake. Total load will generally be 300-400 lbs. I have a gravel driveway that runs about half way down to a flat landing. That slope is only about 20 degrees, and the pioneer handles that fine in 2wd.

The next slope is a bit steeper and not improved in any way. The hill is a smooth, constant 35-40 degree slope (70-84 percent grade). It's roughly a 50 foot elevation change from top to bottom.

I tried it out the other day when the ground was wet from a recent rain. It went down the hill just fine, but would not come back up. Power was not the problem, but traction was non-existent on the wet dirt and leaf-covered hill. The treads filled with mud instantly and wouldn't do anything but spin. I didn't have time to try dropping tire pressure, so I just went back up via my neighbor's paved pathway. I think it would *probably* have gone up the hill okay had it been dry. Also note that I don't have room to get a running start up the hill, nor would I want to. I want to go up the hill nice and easy so I don't tear it up or scare the wife.

Considering all that, I want to try new tires before I call an excavator to cut a trail. Main goals are: added traction on packed hard dirt wet and dry, added roll stability, not increasing width beyond 52-54 inches.

After much reading, here's what I'm considering:
Rear: Maxxis Bighorn Radial Tire 26x12-12 on 4/110 ITP SS212 Alloy Series Wheel 12x7 5.0 + 2.0
Front: Maxxis Bighorn Radial Tire 26x9-12 on 4/110 ITP SS212 Alloy Series Wheel 12x7 5.0 + 2.0

Is the 26x12x12 on the rear too much tire? I'm assuming the 12 inch wide tire will provide more traction and stability vs the 9 inch wide? I'm also assuming that I gain some width with the 5/2 offset wheels vs the stock wheels? Any idea how wide the machine will be with the 12 inch rear tire on the offset wheel? I'm also open to adding the SuperATV 1.5" spacers to the front, rear, or both if that would be beneficial.

So, what's everyone think? Will the new tires give me the added traction to make it up a 35-40 degree slope at a slow/comfortable speed? How wide will I be with just the 5/2 offset wheels and 12" rear tires and 9" fronts? Is there a better tire brand or size combination for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Pitbull rockers won't even need 4wd anymore. Trust me.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!