Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I hit 1000 miles and the problem got worse, even after having the clutch update put on. The SXS would have excessive rpm when shifting from 2-3 and 4-5.
I just got the pioneer back from the dealer. Replaced both clutches. Lets hope this doesnt happen again anytime soon.

Did the dealer complete the update campaign, or just replace clutch packs, without the revised cover putting more oil on the clutch pack to keep it cooler it can fail again.

H

HondaTech

Sounds to me like the clutch pack was gone before the update and the dealer should've seen that when they pulled the cover.

They should've replaced the 2nd clutch when the update was done. If they weren't competent enough to do that I'd question them putting the clutch in after the fact.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds to me like the clutch pack was gone before the update and the dealer should've seen that when they pulled the cover.

They should've replaced the 2nd clutch when the update was done. If they weren't competent enough to do that I'd question them putting the clutch in after the fact.

The cynical a-hole in me who doesn’t trust anyone to have my best interest in mind, thinks they KNEW the clutch would go bad ordered the parts as part of the update but didn’t put them in and and wanted to make extra money off the service and make 100% off the parts after the “free” to owner service for the update.

BUUUTTTTTTTT that’s just the a-hole cynic in me.

The plain cynic think the dealer was an idiot.

H

HondaTech

When the clutch cover update is done the outer (2nd whatever you want to call it) clutch is exposed. That 2nd church is always the culprit in slipping, because it controls 1st and reverse.

I actually take the clutch fibers and disk out when doing the update to make I stalling the guide easier. So they would've had to have seen that it was bad or close to it.

I've done several like that, and while it's not fun to have to tell your customer that their unit is going to have to be left with you. I'd much rather do that then have a comeback.

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi all. Just bought a used 2017 1000-5 built 6/17. Original owner said it had throttle body and muffler recall done.

I noticed the cabin comfort heat update has not been done when removing seat. I may wait to do that when winter is over.

Here is a pic of my DCT cover. Is this the updated cover? I only have 400 miles on it. If I need update should I wait till more than 1000 miles so they replace clutch and not just cover? Or am I over thinking this?

9D59C548 B51F 4CA1 8AEB C15D7380A2DB

H

HondaTech

This is the oil tank and filter covers. In order to see if the clutch update has been done, you'll need to remove the air filter cover. It's just 4 clips and pulls right off.

With that off take a picture of the top of the engine, try to get the brass flathead screw in the center of the shot. Then I'll be able to see if you've gotten the update or not.

Or you could shoot me the VIN and I could check with Honda, but that's not a guarantee it actually got replaced.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Since this is the "official" clutch update page I'll post my review here.

First, there is definitely a difference in who you call. Not all dealerships seem to have their s*** together. Some were very helpful and some not so much. I had a dealer tell me it would be a long time because parts were on back order and another told me he could get them pretty quickly. I did get a consensus that they would order the update kit and If I needed new clutches they would order them right away after looking at mine. I called the most helpful guy back and gave him my VIN. He ordered in the clutch update and the cabin kit.

Someone messed up the order and only got in the cabin kit. I was busy so a few weeks went buy but i got back in touch and he had a clutch kit for me. I talked to the guy on wednesday, he said bring it in anytime before Saturday and we will get it done Saturday morning. The weather was crap so I took it in Thursday afternoon and it was done Saturday at Noon.

RESULTS:
The best I can explain is that it rides MUCH SMOOTHER. It shifts smoother and runs smoother. I think you can hear it in the clutch that is operating more smoothly but maybe I'm just fooling myself.

The biggest change is in low range and reverse. It use to shudder a bit if you were taking off very slowly. Like trying to reverse up hill real slow or just moving very slow in low range. Now it operates much smoother and engages much more easily.

I was telling myself I would wait until the clutch went out before taking it in. I'm glad I changed my mind. There is an improvement in ride quality and I now think its silly to wait. It is free after all. If I had waited, it may have been years, I would've been disappointed in myself for waiting.

Just go get it done. You'll be glad you did.

Just picked up my 17LE from the dealer this morning getting the recalls and updates done. On the clutch update the first thing I noticed when I drove it up on the trailer how smooth it seemed. No grabbing and jerking like before. I took it for a ride when I got it home and it seem like a new machine I’ll tell more when we get to Arizona and put some miles on it. Wasn’t to impressed with the cabin comfort kit tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

If anybody is contemplating whether or not to have his done, remember this is NOT a recall and ends pretty soon. Sometime next year I believe is when they'll quit doing it for free.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If anybody is contemplating whether or not to have his done, remember this is NOT a recall and ends pretty soon. Sometime next year I believe is when they'll quit doing it for free.
Thanks for the heads up!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe Sept of 2020.

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is pic of top of engine.

E4D9CA10 3798 4F08 9515 E2C90B63D6D9

H

HondaTech

Here is pic of top of engine.

View attachment 99122

The black hose coming from the oil cooler is covering the only thing I need to verify the updated cover.

Look and see if there rounded bump right next to that bolt head. If there is, the update has been installed. I've uploaded a picture of what you'll be looking for.

Screenshot 20181226 145949 Drive

Reactions: 2018GMC
2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
thanks for reply. Looks like I need update. I only have 450 miles. Should I put more miles on or take it in ASAP?

562DCF66 1D2A 4660 98E0 EFF22AB6F4D7

H

HondaTech

thanks for reply. Looks like I need update. I only have 450 miles. Should I put more miles on or take it in ASAP?

View attachment 99131
The clutch update will changed the way the machine feels. I would do it as soon as you could, but if the clutch were to go out Honda would cover it regardless. It's just more work and would have your machine down for longer.

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I only have one dealer in my immediate area. Other dealers are 2 hrs away. My local dealer is refusing to do the clutch update because he says that it doesn't fix anything and they have noticed it makes shifting worse.

Even though 2018+ come with this update from factory?

Kinda don't want them touching engine anyway ;-/

I have scheduled the cabin comfort update with this dealer. They have ordered the parts....

H

HondaTech

I only have one dealer in my immediate area. Other dealers are 2 hrs away. My local dealer is refusing to do the clutch update because he says that it doesn't fix anything and they have noticed it makes shifting worse.

Even though 2018+ come with this update from factory?

Kinda don't want them touching engine anyway ;-/

I have scheduled the cabin comfort update with this dealer. They have ordered the parts....

I agree these guys have their heads up their ass. I wouldn't want them touching my stuff either.

Call Honda and tell them what you've been told, they cant refuse to do a warranty update.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This expires this year...
See Post #1.

If you own a 2016, 2017, and some early production 2018's I would be getting it done while its winter!
You may have to educate your dealer, but most should be aware by now.

Honda DID NOT send out any information to owners.

R

Rockydog

Jan 16, 2019
Canada
This expires this year...
See Post #1.

If you own a 2016, 2017, and some early production 2018's I would be getting it done while its winter!
You may have to educate your dealer, but most should be aware by now.

Honda DID NOT send out any information to owners.

Does this pertain to only U.S. Honda or Canadian ones as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!