P1000 Viper Max NOT Water proof!

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the viper Max 4500 on the front. Also bought a Superwinch Terra 45 to put it on the feont and move the smaller form factor Viper to the rear.

I bought the Viper Max because they said it is wayer proof. My rig has never been swamped and i try to avoid mud and water.

3 times already in less than a year the Viper has failed to work. Knock on the end cap of the motor and it would start.
Not real comforting when you ride solo.

So i figured it had water in it. I finally got around to swapping them out today.

Sure enough, the Viper had moisture in the motor. No gasket or seal on the end cap.

20190825 153350 600x800

20190825 154058 600x800

Reactions: TripleB
S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not going to bother trying to warranty it. Just going to clean it up good and seal it myself. Less hassle to do it myself than send it back.

Winch has worked good otherwise. Has pulled us through some nasty spots.

If you have one of these, it is real easy to pop off the end cap and check it.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the viper Max 4500 on the front. Also bought a Superwinch Terra 45 to put it on the feont and move the smaller form factor Viper to the rear.

I bought the Viper Max because they said it is wayer proof. My rig has never been swamped and i try to avoid mud and water.

3 times already in less than a year the Viper has failed to work. Knock on the end cap of the motor and it would start.
Not real comforting when you ride solo.

So i figured it had water in it. I finally got around to swapping them out today.

Sure enough, the Viper had moisture in the motor. No gasket or seal on the end cap.

View attachment 150530

View attachment 150531

Those winches are an old WARN design. I've had several and they worked well. I took them apart once a year to clean the sand and mud out of the gears. They just don't seal really well. I would make a gasket or use good silicone on the caps for each end. Don't bother sending it back. It is what it is. Add some silicone and carry on.

Reactions: Superthrill

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!