P500 Warn snow plow, should I add a Pulley?

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
Still working through cleaning up a 2015 500 I purchased, and have gotten the full front bumper, winch mount, new synch rope, Hawse fairlead, etc. I mounted the snow blade on it to test, and it seems to 'pinch' the rope. May be hard to see in these pics, but I'm curious how others do their plow mounts. Can I or should I add some sort of pully at the low "fulcrum' point.... (not sure that's the correct term, but the thingy at the bottom of the blade what guides the rope)?

Winch1
Winch2
Winch3
Winch4

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
This could be a 'duh' moment. I put the rope inside the pin clamp on the bottom 'fulcrum' point. That might solve my problem.

What say you?

Winch5
Winch6
Winch7

Reactions: toddvdh and trigger
R

rickoshea

i'd lose the hawse and go with a plow fairlead.i have the plow push frame extender for plowing with tracks so it's not an issue for me,but i would definitely go with a plow fairlead if mine loooked like yours.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500

I had a warn provantage plow on my 4wheeler before I sold it, you got it hooked up wrong dude. Using this pic here, your cable comes down off the winch, thru the plastic "pully" from the top plow-side, and straight back and then the winch line hook clamps onto that loop hole thingy in the bottom left of this pic.
Lemme know if them's too technical wordage there, and I can try an draw up a pic or something, lol. Sorry, it's late, and I'm tired.

Also, I'd suggest getting or making a plow strap. Can DIY with 10' of old seatbelt and a connector end, or buy a cheap tow strap or whatever for $5 or $10. It's easy to swap out, and cheaper than breaking a synthetic winch line. Little duct tape to hold the first wrap on, and spool it up easy-peasy. I folded the plow strap in half to fit into the plastic "pully" bit there on the plow, used it for years.

G

GreatNorth

May 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
I agree that doesn’t look hooked up right.

I found hawse fairlead wore bottom edge and broke under pressure. It’ll last a while, but repetitive lifting out of heavy snow is hard on the bottom edge. I replaced it with a roller fairlead which holds up great plowing. Synthetic rope lasts a long time but does eventually wear out on the most used section while plowing. I only lost ~2’ retying it when it broke which didn’t even happen once a season. It was used to plow a 1 km long driveway in a climate with 2-4’/season accumulated snowpack (actual snowfall considerably higher).

Reactions: Tom_C
hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Old crappy pic from when I had steel cable on, but you can kinda see how it routes. You pull the cotter pin out, swing the plasticy pully bit out, slip the cable line in the middle somewheres, swing it back into place, and pop the cotter pin back in. Connect the winch hook to that hole in the back.
IMG 20180301 215918

Reactions: Tom_C
Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
Old crappy pic from when I had steel cable on, but you can kinda see how it routes. You pull the cotter pin out, swing the plasticy pully bit out, slip the cable line in the middle somewheres, swing it back into place, and pop the cotter pin back in. Connect the winch hook to that hole in the back.
View attachment 291187

Ah Ha. Thanks for that. The previous owner showed me the method I used, and I'm not surprised it's wrong. ;)

I'll look into the tow strap and plow fairlead, too. Thanks all.

Reactions: GreatNorth
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Kinda off topic, but a fun project with an old atv I made a bucket to mount on the plow bars, Could lift and dump. I haven’t fooled with it for the SxS as I now have a tractor. Just an idea to share.
1C5B26EF 7DA9 41CE 93ED 6F3C9656AA6304F2640F 538E 450C 9C44 1EE30FE12050

Last edited:
Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
On an old atv, I made a bucket to mount on the plow bars, Could lift and dump. I haven’t fooled with it for the SxS as I now have a tractor. Just an idea to share.
View attachment 291276View attachment 291277

Interesting. I can't fabricate that without investing in equipment and supplies so I'm not going there, but would be interested in it.

After buying the SxS I'm on the fence if I need a tractor. I have a groundhog max disc still in the box to do soil prep for gardens and beds, which may do for a tractor tiller, not sure yet. I would need a bush hog, but a pull behind might do, again, not sure. I love toys, but another 20+ grand for a tractor and equipment may not be wise since it will all get limited use.

But, back to the topic. I repositioned the cable, much better. I ordered a plow fairlead, and I found a strap from an old ratchet strap I can use. Will post pics once I make the swap.

E

Eeluk

Nov 27, 2014
Ownership

1. 700-2
Interesting. I can't fabricate that without investing in equipment and supplies so I'm not going there, but would be interested in it.

After buying the SxS I'm on the fence if I need a tractor. I have a groundhog max disc still in the box to do soil prep for gardens and beds, which may do for a tractor tiller, not sure yet. I would need a bush hog, but a pull behind might do, again, not sure. I love toys, but another 20+ grand for a tractor and equipment may not be wise since it will all get limited use.

But, back to the topic. I repositioned the cable, much better. I ordered a plow fairlead, and I found a strap from an old ratchet strap I can use. Will post pics once I make the swap.
Let's see those photos!

Reactions: Buggyman
J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If i were you i would add a pulley.# 1 reason it slows the plow down about 1/2 speed.I have a gravel drive and straight from the winch to the plow a bump of the winch =2 inch movement of the plow.With a pulley a bump of the winch =1 inch of movement it helps me if i hear gravel i bump it and it goes away.Helps in the spring.After the base is frozen it doesnt matter

Reactions: Dave75
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I added a pulley and connect the hook on the steel line to a short strap with metal ends wrapped around the top of the bumper.

Basic mechanics, 1/2 the speed snd 2x the lift. It makes my plow less ‘jerky’ when I’m raising ir lowering it.

I bought the 18” straps on Amazon.

Here’s some pictures.

8b935fe42499984b97c78394eaec2eff

Ca80b2788ea28413ae768f4eebbd9eef

I put washers on shaft on both sides to keep pully verticle.

4a40ffa75ec57502f4d4f4eb638613a8

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!