Talon Warranty repairs for Low Gear Shift Issue

C

Chrisx1300

Jul 10, 2019
Mesa, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
The first time my Talon had issues going into low. I went ahead and adjusted the shift cable myself and haven't really had any problems since. However, I am still noticing like many others it is only having this issue when it is cold.

I am at 500 miles right now and am getting ready for the 600 mile service. I've already had it serviced once at the dealership. Id like to make sure this thing is properly adjusted by the dealership and to start the paper trail in case this thing goes south.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robobrainiac
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
No way I would bring it to the dealer with a modified/aftermarket shift gate.

I feel like there is a serious issue with this. I'm starting to read more and more about grinding in low. Mine did it the 2nd ride, and has since popped out of low. I believe there is internal damage. It's at the dealer now.

Reactions: TripleB
C

Chrisx1300

Jul 10, 2019
Mesa, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thx for the info. Ill get the OEM gate on there and get it checked out.

H

HondaTech

The shift gate is the first thing they ask about if you call about this issue, so defiantly remove it before taking it in.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Let us know how they fix it. I just turned over 9,000 miles on my 2019 and have 800 on my 2020. My 2020 Talon works great. I will get my 2019 fixed before I sell it at around 20,000 miles. I know how to avoid damage so no problem for me. I shift quick to avoid any grinding but when it won't go into low if I really need it I can move it forward a bit and get it into low. I can load it on my trailer in high if necessary and it will shift ok after a 10 minute warm up.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wherever the issue lies it has not been corrected on the 2020 models yet....
My friend has a 2020 live valve with 60 miles in it. Before bringing it home he had the dealer check the linkage. He has since adjusted the shifter linkage and tried the CA shift gate with no luck.
Dosen't matter if the machine is warm or cold, goes into low gear correctly when it feels like it?
Looking like its something internal, if that's the case hopefully Honda steps up with a campaign like they done on the Pioneer.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi guys -
I'm a new owner, actually I haven't even picked it up yet (modding trailer first). Is this only happening when shifting into low range, it goes into High ok? Knowing how square cut shift dogs work on motorcycles, having to rock the bike back and forth to get it into gear when stopped, rocking the Talon isn't an option, our feet won't reach the ground :confused:. But if they shift into High ok, one could rock the vehicle in High and then retry Low.

Every gear crunch has the potential of doing permanent and progressive shift dog damage, once those corners are rounded off, yer screwed. :( After 25 years of snowmobiling, I don't care if I never own another belt drive transmission but it looks like a geared tranny has its own shortcomings.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi guys -
I'm a new owner, actually I haven't even picked it up yet (modding trailer first). Is this only happening when shifting into low range, it goes into High ok? Knowing how square cut shift dogs work on motorcycles, having to rock the bike back and forth to get it into gear when stopped, rocking the Talon isn't an option, our feet won't reach the ground :confused:. But if they shift into High ok, one could rock the vehicle in High and then retry Low.

Every gear crunch has the potential of doing permanent and progressive shift dog damage, once those corners are rounded off, yer screwed. :( After 25 years of snowmobiling, I don't care if I never own another belt drive transmission but it looks like a geared tranny has its own shortcomings.
From everything I've seen and experienced it's only an issue going to low, but does not seem to be every unit. I have a Pioneer 1000 and never had this problem with 4000 miles on it and use mostly low gear.....
From my understanding the transmissions in both the Pioneer 1000 and Talon are the same with the exception of the low gear being changed on the Talon. If this is the case looks like they've got some bugs to work out, we'll see.
I myself gave corporate Honda a call and had my "SHIFT BANG" occurrences documented. The more they hear the better!

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
From everything I've seen and experienced it's only an issue going to low, but does not seem to be every unit. I have a Pioneer 1000 and never had this problem with 4000 miles on it and use mostly low gear.....
From my understanding the transmissions in both the Pioneer 1000 and Talon are the same with the exception of the low gear being changed on the Talon. If this is the case looks like they've got some bugs to work out, we'll see.
I myself gave corporate Honda a call and had my "SHIFT BANG" occurrences documented. The more they hear the better!
I think this is pretty damn important, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. It wouldn't be quite such a big deal if the damaged parts were outside the engine but they aren't - repair costs will be crippling for some budgets. Sheetmetalfab corrected me below, my mistake. :oops: Note: I'm not saying external parts would make it OK.

Last edited:
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I think this is pretty damn important, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. It wouldn't be quite such a big deal if the damaged parts were outside the engine but they aren't - repair costs will be crippling for some budgets. Note: I'm not saying external parts would make it OK.

FYI
those who are experiencing issues are having trouble with the “sub transmission” or transfer case.

not the transmission.........

every single UTV out there uses a sub transmission.

(and every one i’ve used is finicky to shift)

remember they do not have synchro’s like an automotive “manual transmission”.

anyone who has driven a Semi truck knows rpm and wheel speed need to be correct or it will never go into gear. (It takes “feel” and finesse to shift smoooth)

being stopped and fluids at operating temps plus having some mechanical awareness goes a long way towards preventing damage.

i’m not in any way saying “it’s not a problem” but being aware of the cause and effect goes a long way towards minimizing damage.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My problem shifting into low started at about 4,000 miles when the engine is cold. I can deal with it and I'm over 9,000 miles now. I will get it fixed before I sell it with around 20,000 miles. I need it nearly everyday and have it setup with lights for my night rides. My 2020 Talon works great, got 800 miles on it. I think the sub trans case is different and for sure the reverse gear is lower then the Pioneer. I put on 23,500 miles on my Pioneer 1000's with no problems so there may be something goofy going on with the Talon. It looks like some Talons may have a problem making it more difficult to shift and the cable may not be able to overcome the extra stiffness. Honda uses high quality shift cables. If your having a problem shifting or getting the shift bang make sure your dealer knows.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
just food for thought. When I was shopping for oil, my dealer made a big deal about staying with 10-30 Not 10-40. He claimed that the African Twin motorcycle that our is modeled after had a bunch of shift issues when guys put 10-40 in it (especially cold) I am no oil expert and am not trying to start a P**ing contest about what oil is best, I am just passing along the info.

On the YXZ, we had many choices, but most found in cooler climates that the car shifted rough (harder & louder) with 20-50 in the tranny. I ran 0-40 in my YXZ and it seemed to quite it down some (still noisier than the Talon) and smoothed it out.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
On my 2016 YXZ I used Valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil in the engine and trans. It still runs like new with 20,000 miles. I think on cold start both oils are 10 weight. I'm using 0w40 in my sub trans, it may have helped but it didn't fix it.

Reactions: CID
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I ran Amsoil in my Pioneers and I could definitely notice a difference on smoothness and slight noise reduction (could have been due to having more miles instead of oil). I will be switching to Amsoil in my Talon on my next oil change. In my total breakin process on these Honda's (takes a couple hundred miles) I switch to Amsoil after a couple hundred miles (200-300) and it turns to butter after that!

spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
I put my 19 in the shop today for the popping out of low gear issue. I make it a point to make sure the display shows low and ease into the throttle. Learned that after owning several Polaris'. I could actually take off and the thing would pop out of low gear and pop back in, one hell of a racket. Now it has stopped staying in low and consecutively pops out after about 10ft. All other gears are fine. I also have a popping rear axle. Will update.....

Reactions: TripleB
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Are our Talons delivered with full synthetic? Once upon a time running full syn in a new engine was discouraged - waiting for break-in with dino before using full syn was the norm. The recommended break-in mileage varied wildly.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I put my 19 in the shop today for the popping out of low gear issue. I make it a point to make sure the display shows low and ease into the throttle. Learned that after owning several Polaris'. I could actually take off and the thing would pop out of low gear and pop back in, one hell of a racket. Now it has stopped staying in low and consecutively pops out after about 10ft. All other gears are fine. I also have a popping rear axle. Will update.....
:(

spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
Are our Talons delivered with full synthetic? Once upon a time running full syn in a new engine was discouraged - waiting for break-in with dino before using full syn was the norm. The recommended break-in mileage varied wildly.
They have dino and recommend regular dino. If you choose synthetic, make sure it is wet clutch compatible.

Reactions: Hometeam and CID
H

Hotsauce

Jun 4, 2019
Northern Nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Talon low range shifting problems:
Hey everyone - not long ago I read a post in one of these forums from what sounded like a race related shop. They had a great writeup and photos making the case that it was not the shift cable, but rather the real problem was gear machining not being held to close enough tolerances. Their finding was that the faces of the gear dogs in many machines were off by several thousands and as a result not all three faces were making contact at once. They also said that many of the OEM gears they checked had faces that were not perfectly vertical (perpendicular) , some being off by a full degree or two. If this is true it would be a game changer and if the real issue is sloppy CNC and poor QC it would certainly explain why some riders have this problem while many others don't.
I have spent hours searching but I can't find the original post. If anybody reading this recognizes the post I am referring to please post a reference or link in this thread. It could go a long way for those of us where Aegis is trying to deny the repair claim!

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!