Water in sub transmission on pioneer 1000-5

A

Adrian239

Apr 16, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2021 pioneer 1000-5 LE I had the dealership do the snorkel setup after purchasing it brand new last April. I live Florida so we do a lot of mud riding. I’ve never checked my sub transmission fluid since purchasing it being service wasn’t due on that portion yet. Just recently I’ve been having trouble getting it to shift in low gear and it also felt a little rough while driving and transmission shifting to next gear. I assumed it was the gear cable but come to find out the dealership that charged me roughly 1100.00$ to complete the snorkel never vented my sub transmission or the shifter box at the rear floor and the sub transmission was completely full with water. I’ve drained at and replaced it 3 times and all seems to be working fine now but should I be concerned that internal damage might have happened all ready from water being in there for over a year due to the dealership not completing the work correctly. I haven’t had a chance to speak to the dealership yet they’re closed till Tuesday. Has anyone had something similar happen with water getting in the transmission for that long? My machine has about 70 hrs on it right now and 500 miles on it

79F05E9E 34C9 42FC 8A5C ED3793C31CB4 B3519374 4E02 42F3 9470 894749DE1D5A

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
While it sucks I wouldnt get too worried. The subtrans is just a simple gear box, completely separate from the engine and transmission. Put new oil in it, run it for a bit, drain it, repeat as necessary until it's clean.

F

FrankD

Sep 26, 2022
New Brunswick
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just picked mine up today from the dealer for the 3000km scheduled maintenance. I had the same issue to my surprise. I recently purchased this 2017 P1000-5, and I’m the second owner.
Dealer said the vent lines were not placed correctly thus drawing water in. He didn’t seem too concerned.
I found it shifted a little rough in the lower gears, so I’ll be curious to see how it performs now.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just picked mine up today from the dealer for the 3000km scheduled maintenance. I had the same issue to my surprise. I recently purchased this 2017 P1000-5, and I’m the second owner.
Dealer said the vent lines were not placed correctly thus drawing water in. He didn’t seem too concerned.
I found it shifted a little rough in the lower gears, so I’ll be curious to see how it performs now.
@Bayouownbeer has a vent kit for the P1K, it extends all the vents as needed.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2021 pioneer 1000-5 LE I had the dealership do the snorkel setup after purchasing it brand new last April. I live Florida so we do a lot of mud riding. I’ve never checked my sub transmission fluid since purchasing it being service wasn’t due on that portion yet. Just recently I’ve been having trouble getting it to shift in low gear and it also felt a little rough while driving and transmission shifting to next gear. I assumed it was the gear cable but come to find out the dealership that charged me roughly 1100.00$ to complete the snorkel never vented my sub transmission or the shifter box at the rear floor and the sub transmission was completely full with water. I’ve drained at and replaced it 3 times and all seems to be working fine now but should I be concerned that internal damage might have happened all ready from water being in there for over a year due to the dealership not completing the work correctly. I haven’t had a chance to speak to the dealership yet they’re closed till Tuesday. Has anyone had something similar happen with water getting in the transmission for that long? My machine has about 70 hrs on it right now and 500 miles on it

View attachment 334578 View attachment 334579
Vent extension kit without filters recommended for 5 seater. Filters not needed your preference. Simple hour install. Great piece of mind knowing your covered.

I do offer a discount to the group send me a PM.

“The Original” Honda Pioneer 1000/700/500 & Talon Vent Ext. Kit Without filters | eBay

With filters recommended for 3 seater pioneers and the Talon. If you don’t heavy mud you can use the kit without filters and simply turn the ends down 90 degrees.

“The Original” Honda Pioneer 1000/700/500 & Talon Vent Ext. Kit. With filters | eBay

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need to get off my butt and install the vent kit I bought from you last year, @Bayouownbeer ... 🤣
Yes you do. Last October in WV we came up to a creek crossing that was deeper than it looked. Water was up to the top of the headlights. Glad I had the under hood snorkel and the vent kit from @Bayouownbeer installed.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!