100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ha, made you look! But seriously have you ever seen or found these old wooden, wrapped in wire, water lines?
My farm was built in 1939, but the spring that feeds my neighborhood has been established since 1931. There are a few remnants of this old system here on the farm. The only other places I’ve seen this was near the tiny mountain hamlet known as Mammoth Montana, in the Beaverhead-Deerlodge NF. There was a fast moving Creek a few miles above the town and this is how they got their water. I’ve also seen this at a mine in Colorado off the Alpine Loop. Before steel or plastic pipes were made, this was how folks “piped” their water! Imagine trying to make this today. Lost arts!

802CDCA7 EAD8 454B BBBC 05B23ACE6927 BF18058D 50FB 4221 8BD3 B1B3BAD1FA54 9DB9B8F1 D00D 4D11 9D9A C4C1EA9C2871

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ha, made you look! But seriously have you ever seen or found these old wooden, wrapped in wire, water lines?
My farm was built in 1939, but the spring that feeds my neighborhood has been established since 1931. There are a few remnants of this old system here on the farm. The only other places I’ve seen this was near the tiny mountain hamlet known as Mammoth Montana, in the Beaverhead-Deerlodge NF. There was a fast moving Creek a few miles above the town and this is how they got their water. I’ve also seen this at a mine in Colorado off the Alpine Loop. Before steel or plastic pipes were made, this was how folks “piped” their water! Imagine trying to make this today. Lost arts!

View attachment 328779 View attachment 328780 View attachment 328781
I've heard about it, most contractors just throw it back in the ditch when back filling, I would love to have a short section of it.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I've heard rumor that there are wood water mains still in use in some of the old cities. As long as they're not exposed to open air they don't rot out.
yup, In Ann Arbor, alot of the sewer lines for homes like my parents still have are called Orange Burg. Same type and wet wrapped. Some collapsed and in most cases if u didnt touch it your good

TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
From Wikipedia:

From the 16th century, as wooden mains water systems were installed, firefighters would dig down the pipes and drill a hole for water to fill a “wet well” for the buckets or pumps. This had to be filled and plugged afterwards, hence the common US term for a hydrant, 'fireplug'.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We have been replacing orange burg pipe like crazy. The problem with it is it breaks apart on the inside and will make like a bubble where solids and paper will collect.
That $hit is bad! They had it throughout my parents neighborhood From the 60’s. There Slowly replacing it.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We have been replacing orange burg pipe like crazy. The problem with it is it breaks apart on the inside and will make like a bubble where solids and paper will collect.
They came out with that during WW II due to the metal shortage. We have very little of it left in the ground, tree roots mostly is the cause of failure.

S

skit_ill

Apr 8, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm a subsurface utility tech. I have been digging up utilities and surveying them for 9 years. I have only ever seen one wooden water main. It was in Avon Lake, OH. They do exist, but it caught me off guard. They told me I was looking for a 12 inch water main, but I wasn't expecting to see a wooden line.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!