P700 Water Pump issues?

J

Junkymac

Nov 3, 2016
CLE, OH
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey guys, has anyone had issues with their water pump leaking? Mine only has 80hr, 400miles, and leaving a puddle of antifreeze after parking it each time. Coming out of weep hole tube. I ordered a new pump from dealership for 165 after taxes (after a 20% "discount"). Be here in 5 days. Tough to change them? Saw an old thread recommending to change oil at same time. Does that still hold true? Thanks for any help you can offer this novice.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which dealer did you buy from? I am a little east of you if you want help changing it. I own a 1000, I can't see it being too tough a job. A friend has the 700 manual we can reference if needed.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If I had to do it again. I would drain the coolent. Then get my front end loader tractor and stand it up on its ass end.

That way I could do it without changing the oil.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

J

Junkymac

Nov 3, 2016
CLE, OH
Ownership

1. 700-4
Which dealer did you buy from? I am a little east of you if you want help changing it. I own a 1000, I can't see it being too tough a job. A friend has the 700 manual we can reference if needed.
Hey bud. I ordered it from Rousch Racing in Medina, right by rt18 and 71. Hate going there but only 5min from my house. Thanks a lot for the offer! Think the water pump change would be documented inthe manual? If so think you could take a few pics of those pages and send my way?

J

Junkymac

Nov 3, 2016
CLE, OH
Ownership

1. 700-4
If I had to do it again. I would drain the coolent. Then get my front end loader tractor and stand it up on its ass end.

That way I could do it without changing the oil.

Thanks man. I planned on draining coolant. Perhaps a couple of dumb questions: 1. What't the easiest way to access the pump? From bottom, removing stock skid plates? 2. Does all the oil drain out when removing pump? Why is that? 3. Just install new pump, add coolant, (and oil), and re-check coolant level again after running it and warming up? Am i missing anything?

Just did an oil change about 15hrs ago. Hopefully I can just leave the filter alone. Thanks again!!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks man. I planned on draining coolant. Perhaps a couple of dumb questions: 1. What't the easiest way to access the pump? From bottom, removing stock skid plates? 2. Does all the oil drain out when removing pump? Why is that? 3. Just install new pump, add coolant, (and oil), and re-check coolant level again after running it and warming up? Am i missing anything?

Just did an oil change about 15hrs ago. Hopefully, I can just leave the filter alone. Thanks again!!

Check out my pictures here - 700 Water Pump Replacement | The Honda Side by Side Club!
Accessing from the bottom is about the only option. Though, I'm sure a skilled mechanic could do it from top side.
The propeller shaft goes into the engine. You will loose oil.

I have successfully changed it on my Rincon without losing oil by standing it up. Practically the same engine, I can only assume it will work the same.

It's not a hard job. But getting those hoses back on while laying on the ground was a PITA.
Most importantly, be sure the notch is aligned and meshes inside. Best advice is position it matching the old one as long as you didn't spin it by hand.
Heard another guy cracked his pump because it was offset and he kept wrenching it down.
Thanks.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
1 - Bottom, remove skid plate.
2 - Shaft goes into the motor. You will lose oil.
3 - Yep, Thats it. Be sure to put the weep hose back on.

Good luck... Update us please when done.

J

Junkymac

Nov 3, 2016
CLE, OH
Ownership

1. 700-4
Check out my pictures here - 700 Water Pump Replacement | The Honda Side by Side Club!
Accessing from the bottom is about the only option. Though, I'm sure a skilled mechanic could do it from top side.
The propeller shaft goes into the engine. You will loose oil.

I have successfully changed it on my Rincon without losing oil by standing it up. Practically the same engine, I can only assume it will work the same.

It's not a hard job. But getting those hoses back on while laying on the ground was a PITA.
Most importantly, be sure the notch is aligned and meshes inside. Best advice is position it matching the old one as long as you didn't spin it by hand.
Heard another guy cracked his pump because it was offset and he kept wrenching it down.
Thanks.

Good stuff. Thanks a lot. Pump should be here by Friday. Hoping to have it done before Sat afternoon since we're having my daughter's bday party and all the kids (and parents) like to go on rides. Last question for now...is it ok to use standard coolant from auto parts store? Really appreciate the help!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
is it ok to use standard coolant from auto parts store? Really appreciate the help!
Yes, But get a high-quality ethylene glycol with corrosion protection inhibitors for aluminum engines.

lol..
I have no clue what that means. haha. Its in the owner's manual page 215.
Your auto store "should" know!

Get 4 quarts.
Calls for 3.6us qt.

About an hour job. Plenty of time to get to the party.

Last edited:
J

Junkymac

Nov 3, 2016
CLE, OH
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welp, got it done. As you said, not too bad of a job. Most time was spent figuring out how to get to the hose clamps. Thanks so much for the help. I owe you a cold one!

Reactions: Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welp, got it done. As you said, not too bad of a job. Most time was spent figuring out how to get to the hose clamps. Thanks so much for the help. I owe you a cold one!
Sweet.
Any pointers for the next guy?
Thanks.

J

Junkymac

Nov 3, 2016
CLE, OH
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sweet.
Any pointers for the next guy?
Thanks.

Hmmm...like you said, maybe Drain oil and coolant ahead of time. I set the front on ramps, hoping to save some oil. Prob saved me 1.5 Q of oil...since I had just changed it. I left the front plastic skid plate on the machine, but woulda made life a little easier having it off. Maybe I shoulda video'd it and put on Youtube. Ooops. :eek:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!