P1000m5 Went from what (what machine) to Pioneer 1000? Why? And are you happy?

L

Luv4Chaos1

Aug 1, 2016
Pinckney, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went from a 2015 Polaris RZR XP1000 to my Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe.

Why:

Needed something that can do work.

Happy:

Not sure yet... A bit disappointed in some poor design issues and quality... Flimsy doors, No heat shields!!!! Brakes seem weak compared to my RZR.. Rear seat belts don't work well..(could be a safety issue) Shielding around accel. Pedal. Low speed downshifting... Did I mention it gets HOT in the cab?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Isaiah
Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went from a ranger so to a 1000-5. My ranger was an 09 and used to hunt with and was getting in need of repairs. Hate to walk out from 30 miles in the bush.

Why? My needs have changed. When I got my ranger, I was single. Remarried and have two kids and wand to take them. I went in looking at the Polaris crew and just fell in love with the 1000-5 concept. Its exactly what I need.

Happy? Damn good question. Since I have 35 yards on it, from the toy hauler to the garage, I just don't know. Of course I'm happy with the purchase and the concept. What I'm concerned about are the issues I see popping up here. The other issue is with the dealer. Limited to one, so no choices. Anyway, they either don't know the product or were just plain ignorant or pretended to be. As I brought up the clutch, the transmission, the heat issues, they had never heard of any of that. So if I have issues, I'll take it in and see if I have issues.

Here to hoping I'll be a happy camper!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know this might sound stupid, but try to hold off judgement on your new machine for at least a hundred miles or so. Right after first service (or very soon after), they become totally different machines. It'll seem like overnight somebody magically switched your trans for a much smoother shifting one. Seriously, you'll see. I came from a 4wheeler, so had nothing to compare it to. And I've loved mine dearly from the first mile. She's got close to 600 miles now and totally trouble free (other than couple squeaks easily corrected) and heat issue (shielding and 34 bucks worth of bilge blowers totally resolved). Hang in there, they will impress you.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From ranger xp900 to p1k3

Why. Better quality

Very happy

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Latest change was from a 2016 Yamaha Wolverine to my P1K5.
"Why?" -- My current needs demanded more seating and turf mode. Family has a Ranger 900 Crew that stays at the farm, and that was ruled out from the beginning. Too long, and it's a Polaris so it has many of the features and issues my RZR had that I dislike. I personally am no fan of Polaris' AWD system. The Yamaha Viking was ruled out due to length and having a lack of turf mode. It also shared many of the things I grew to dislike about my Wolverine - however, it does have true 4WD which was a major reason in purchasing my Wolverine. It is why I went from buying Sportsman ATVs to a Yamaha Grizzly. Side note - That 660 was bomb proof. Wish I still had it, but I digress. I considered the CanAm Commander 4, but it too has the length issue as well as an AWD system that is not true 4WD which is a must for me. When I lock it in, I want it to be in - not a gimmicky system with clutch packs or where the front awaits the rear to outrun it so that a sensor can tell a magnet to engage the front drive. I looked at the Kawasaki Teryx4 and Mule PRO FXT, and they were the closest to winning first place from everything I looked at aside from the P1K5. Teryx was too loud and had no turf mode. It had no real bed available if i needed it. The Mule PRO FXT did have a turf mode as well as a convertible bed, but it lacked a front locker and was a tad too big. I will however give Kawasaki their due. That PRO FXT is one nice unit, and both it and the Teryx4 were built like a brick house. Had the P1K5 not come out for 2016, I'd probably be in a Kawasaki. I also loved my little tank (Pioneer 500), but it was just too small for my needs. Wish I hadn't sold it as well, but it did play a contributing factor in the purchase of my P1K5. It never missed a beat. The P1K5 was #1 on my list from the jump, but as you can see from the aforementioned, I considered others to do my due diligence in considerations. Turf mode, seating, and wheelbase were some of my major "why's," but so was Honda's name being on it. I was a little surprised at how quiet this thing is as well. I am a true believer in Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha reliability which does slant my bias, and I'll gladly admit it.
"Happy?" I'm Happy. I like this machine due to it meeting my needs and satisfying my preferences. Every unit is different, and some won't like this machine. Some will. I bought it because it fits me and my needs. It is the first SxS I've owned that felt like the complete package. It's all about personal preference and meeting needs, and this unit is perfect for me. I have almost 400 miles on mine in Alabama since June, and I haven't experienced a heat issue. I installed the heat shield when it was new as a preventative measure, and my only conclusion is it must work really well. Considerably cooler than my old man's Ranger XP800. Most importantly, it's a great place to store light bars, lift kits, wheels, tires, and other accessories looking for a place to call home. Speaking of wheels, I might try to find (4) looking for a home today...

LaVell

LaVell

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Opp, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a 2007 Rhino 660 and sold it to get the Pioneer. I liked the size of the Rhino for trail riding, but the comfort of the Pioneer far outweighs the tight trails. So far I am liking the Pioneer, except the heat. I have taken care of the heat with the thermoblock and bilge fan. So, yes I am liking it more and more.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2010 Sportsman 850xp and a 2013 Kawasaki brute force 300. Before that an 09 rzr 800 50". Went with my p1k5D so the whole family could ride. I'll never look back. Hands down the best machine I've ever owned.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, I did not own my own previously just a lot of ATV's over the years. And had Honda not gotten into the game, I probably still would not have one. My dad has owned the original rhino, the first RZR 800 a Commander 1000 and a big red. I worked at a dealers that sold Yamaha, Honda, Polaris and Kawasaki. I learned very quickly what was junk and what wasn't. Am I happy? Yes. When you compare the Honda next to a Polaris, you cant even compare the two when it comes to quality etc, The Honda is twice the machine. Is the cab hot? If you have a windshield it is. I have the half windshield and wasn't too impressed with it but being used to ATV's, it wasn't really too big of a deal. When it was really hot, I just removed my windshield. After I got sick of picking bugs out of my face, I purchased the hard rear panel and put my half windshield back on, and the heat problem is no more. 670 miles on mine so far (more than twice what I thought I would have)and love it.

Reactions: Bfree66
R

RJB

Mar 31, 2016
Durango, Colorado
I've had an 08 9first year) Rzr for eight years. I loved this vehicle becuase it could get into really tight places and it has run flawlessly for the 4000 miles I put on it but it lacked all of the amenaties of todays utv's like a heater, space in the cab and power steering plus it was starting to get old and reliability is key when you're 20 miles in the boonies.
I wanted a new machine for creature comforts, reliability and more room. I liked the idea of the convertable seats in the Honda even though I would not use them much. I also liked Honda's reputation for quality and the dual clutch system. I was originally looking at the Polaris General but I wouldn't be gaining any room for my dog's in the front seat. Also, first year General's have they're design shortcomings as well so I settled on the Honda. It's not as sharp looking as the General but offers so much more in functionality.
Happy....at first no! I actually contemplated selling it even though I'd lose a ton of money. The dust and heat was unbearable. After MUCH effort and money I couldn't be happier. I had to scrap the soft door system and glass windshield for the hard doors/rear panel and split windshild. Then I spent MANY hours, insulating for heat and plugging holes in the cab that are EVERYWHERE with foam. dynamat and weatherseal. The result is 95% of the dust problems are gone and the heat is now bearable. I figure the heat will be totally gone when I install the two 3" bilge fans that I ordered and take care of the shifter blow dryer problem.
If I knew it was going to take so much effort to make this machine comfortable, I would not have purchased it. With accessories I am running close to 30k now!!
I am happy with the performance of the machine now. I love the clutch system, the room in the cab and how quiet it runs compared to other utv's. It acutally soaks up rough terrain far better than my RZR did and I'm not constantly bottoming out like I did with the RZR which even had a 2 inch lift. I also like that I am comfortable and dry in the cab when it rains and I actually use the heater in the early morning when it's in the 40's. It certainly looks like a Grandpa mobile but I'm 53 now and looks aren't as important as function and reliability. I now plan on enjoying my Pioneer for at least 10 years.

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Came from a '14 Polaris Ranger XP900. The Polaris treated me great, but you could tell the quality and longevity was not there. I have always been a Honda fan and wanted one bad! I am extremely happy with the Pioneer 1K3!! I have enjoyed tweaking the issues and just love to drive it. I have 1000 miles and a lot of great memories so far.

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Went from: Polaris spaorsman 500 HO EFI

I needed something to do work and to ride trails with. And our cottage we have trails outside the door and we ride my Polaris and my wife's Honda Foreman on those trails. But hunting and hauling wood plus being able to ride together on some trails was the next option. We still have our quads, but we hop on the Honda more often. I was actually going to get a Polaris Ranger. Test drove it and didn't like the stability at certain speeds with the real short front nose. Also didn't care for the bench for seating but we hop on the Honda more often. I was actually going to get a Polaris Ranger. Test drove it and didn't like the stability at certain speeds with the real short front nose. Also didn't care for the bench for seating , And the delay in the acceleration. I was actually interested in a pioneer 700 didn't realize the thousand was out. Check that out and seen a notable difference in size and when I test drove it it was hands-down better than the Polaris or the 700.
The heat is in issue but nothing that this mechanic can fix the doors being late and such no big deal again something that I can fix. Otherwise it's pretty versatile machine in my book and pretty top-quality from others that friends have in the way it runs.

Reactions: sharp
Jody

Jody

Jan 12, 2016
Manitoba
To: Pioneer 1000-5 EPS Metallic Silver

Very happy. Love the versatility and the fact that there is no belt! I'm taming down with age and I don't need to go 75mph and in 3ft of water and mud. I would like a nicer exhaust note tho. A little rumble never hurt!

M

moechester

Jul 26, 2016
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From: 2015 Honda Pioneer 700-4 and 2012 Polaris Ranger 800
To: 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe.

Traded both the P700-4 and Ranger 800 for the P1000-5. Ranger always needed repairs. The P700-4 was great and loved it. Lacked a little power but still performed flawless. The P700-4 is a tough rig. When I saw Honda was adding the P1000-5 to there lineup I had to have it. More HP than the P700-4 and Power steering. I made a great choice. I am really happy with my purchase.

ArkHog10

ArkHog10

Nov 19, 2015
I went from a 2015 Polaris RZR XP1000 to my Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe.

Why:

Needed something that can do work.

Happy:

Not sure yet... A bit disappointed in some poor design issues and quality... Flimsy doors, No heat shields!!!! Brakes seem weak compared to my RZR.. Rear seat belts don't work well..(could be a safety issue) Shielding around accel. Pedal. Low speed downshifting... Did I mention it gets HOT in the cab?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Came from a Polaris Ranger crew 500. It was a nice rig at first but after about 800 miles things started going wrong with it. I got tired of putting money into it. Happy with my new Pioneer.

tjmichael

tjmichael

Jul 29, 2016
hernando ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Started with a 01 Kawasaki bayou 220 have to say those things were bullet proof. Then went to a 06 honda forman 500 another 1 that is bullet proof. Then went to 08 Kawasaki brute force 750, stout bike but the frames are very weak. Sold it the. Bought a arctic cat 350 just to hunt off of but after having a big bore bike I could t stand it not having power so I sold it. Then bought a 2015 polaris sportsman 850. Can't complain. With the sportsman. Wife and kids have wanted to go riding and it's hard to ride kids on a atv and length of time. Looked around for awhile at different sxs machines and finally pulled the trigger on a 2016 p1k5. I couldn't be happier with the machine.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To: Pioneer 1000-5 EPS Metallic Silver

Very happy. Love the versatility and the fact that there is no belt! I'm taming down with age and I don't need to go 75mph and in 3ft of water and mud. I would like a nicer exhaust note tho. A little rumble never hurt!
Add a snorkel, that will get you your growl

A

arizonasteeler

Mar 23, 2016
mesa arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I went from a 2012 rzr 900xp to a p1000-3 for more utility i live in Arizona and i'm licensed for the street.i wanted to go at least 55 mph for some of the riding i do to get to the trails the Honda is not quite as stabil as the rzr at that speed but that will be fixed with better tires and maybe better front shocks they are completely different animals. all in all i made the right choice for me. the Honda is a hell of a good machine and i hope the reputation stands up.

B

Bfree66

Sep 1, 2016
North Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
TO: P1K5

Had a '10 RZR 4 800, bought it new! No problems that were not self induced, a little under powered but overall very satisfied with it as a sport sxs. My wife loved it too, so I hardly ever got to drive it. About a 1.5 yrs ago, I bought me a 50" Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail. Great little machine and fast but it was difficult to haul 2 machines. Plus I needed a utility SxS now, that im older and have a farm. So I sold them both, I was originally going after the Kawi Pro FXT, because it was versatile and could seat 6 people. But was underpowered IMHO, and heavy. I didn't care for the bench seats either. So I pulled the plug on the P1K5. I have about 100 miles on it.

Happy: Im still on the fence, I had heat issues, I fixed that now. Tranny, its querky and took some getting use to it. Overall, I like the versatility of it and power, power steering and all. Time will tell. I did purchase the extended warranty though, so I have piece of mind.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!