P1000m5 Wet Display Problems

Werk

Werk

May 27, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My dash went under water and my display got wet. I have not found any post yet for anyone else with this issue. I want to fix this problem and hopefully help someone else out before it happens to them.

First three pics show what I believe to be the issue...
The plug going into back of display case is where I think the water came through. It is designed to be able to move the cord in and out so you can unplug it from display while in case.

Mine as I'm sure all of yours does did have electrical tape wrapped around all the ends but I have removed mine. Electrical tape is obviously not enough.

In like if it were hooked up

Out so it can be disconnected easier.

Here is the issue!
Where it's designed for that, leaves this gap inside the plastics because of how they made it to slide.

I also filled display case with water to confirm no leaks

I was thinking maybe filling all the plastic plug casing with dialectic grease and use zip ties on all ends along with electrical tape.....

Any ideas questions or comments?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's smart thinking. Hoping I never get that deep with mine lol. I guess clear silicone would be overkill? Wonder if all airways were stopped up if display would get condensation inside?

Reactions: joeymt33
Werk

Werk

May 27, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's smart thinking. Hoping I never get that deep with mine lol. I guess clear silicone would be overkill? Wonder if all airways were stopped up if display would get condensation inside?
As far as I can tell everything is sealed other than this plug for air

Clear silicone,dialectic grease, ductape and zip ties I'm open for all of it at this point. Whatever else we can think of

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
After being submerged my dash wouldn't read so I drilled two holes in the front dry out the water and it still would not work, so after reading this thread I went out to the garage to snap a picture of the final solution :)

Mine was definitely not Honda's fault as they didn't design it to be a submarine.

Werk

Werk

May 27, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is what I came up with...
Hopefully it will continue to work like it has in my little test.

First I cut the larger tube off that the smaller tube went in and out of.

I put two zip ties as tight as I could get them.

First test:
filled with water and within seconds it started leaking through the wires.

Second test:
I removed original zip ties from first test and filled rubber bulb about half way with dielectric grease along with tube coming out and as much as I could work in between the wires. Filled with water again let sit for 30 min wiggled wires pulled on wires and no leaking!

I rubbed and worked dielectric grease into remaining wires sticking out to end of plug and ran electrical tape from top to bottom again.

It's a little messy but until something better comes along this is what I have come up with.
Also it is a lot easier to go ahead and get it assembled and cord hanging out like above picture instead of fighting dielectric grease up under the dash.

Hope this helps and please if someone has any better ideas let me know.

Reactions: sharp
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
What did you do punch it?

No I didn't punch it LOL
I tried drying it out by gently blowing air through it then letting it set to dry after being convinced it was done I replaced it, it was still in the garage looking to get experimented on so I gave it one little tap with the trusty old hammer and posted the results.

The plastic lens didn't stand much abuse.
Do you want me cut it in half to see what inside looks like?

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is what I came up with...
Hopefully it will continue to work like it has in my little test.

First I cut the larger tube off that the smaller tube went in and out of.
View attachment 23948

I put two zip ties as tight as I could get them.
View attachment 23947

First test:
filled with water and within seconds it started leaking through the wires.
View attachment 23946

Second test:
I removed original zip ties from first test and filled rubber bulb about half way with dielectric grease along with tube coming out and as much as I could work in between the wires. Filled with water again let sit for 30 min wiggled wires pulled on wires and no leaking!
View attachment 23945

I rubbed and worked dielectric grease into remaining wires sticking out to end of plug and ran electrical tape from top to bottom again.
View attachment 23944

It's a little messy but until something better comes along this is what I have come up with.
Also it is a lot easier to go ahead and get it assembled and cord hanging out like above picture instead of fighting dielectric grease up under the dash.

Hope this helps and please if someone has any better ideas let me know.
I'm sorry... too much work, I just enjoy mine and avoid anything deeper than a rain puddle like river crossings and ponds. To much respect for my rig and want to make it back to camp.

100 0962

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My dash went under water and my display got wet. I have not found any post yet for anyone else with this issue. I want to fix this problem and hopefully help someone else out before it happens to them.

First three pics show what I believe to be the issue...
The plug going into back of display case is where I think the water came through. It is designed to be able to move the cord in and out so you can unplug it from display while in case.

Mine as I'm sure all of yours does did have electrical tape wrapped around all the ends but I have removed mine. Electrical tape is obviously not enough.

View attachment 23776

In like if it were hooked upView attachment 23775

Out so it can be disconnected easier.View attachment 23774

Here is the issue!
Where it's designed for that, leaves this gap inside the plastics because of how they made it to slide.View attachment 23773

I also filled display case with water to confirm no leaksView attachment 23772
View attachment 23771

I was thinking maybe filling all the plastic plug casing with dialectic grease and use zip ties on all ends along with electrical tape.....

Any ideas questions or comments?
What's the easiest way to get the display out. My repair Manuel says to remove finders to get to the plug and then the dash. Seems a bit to much.

S

SteveAlford

Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2017
Memphis TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What's the easiest way to get the display out. My repair Manuel says to remove finders to get to the plug and then the dash. Seems a bit to much.

What is the best way to remove and replace the display (meter assy) please give me some direction. Steve

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

What is the best way to remove and replace the display (meter assy) please give me some direction. Steve
It is a very involved process if I recall from pictures I have seen.
@Kilo427 has done it on his. If you find his thread "Tinker" I believe he has pictures posted.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Replied to your email.

Werk

Werk

May 27, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Replied to your email.

It is not a simple job you have to get way up under to get to the four screws holding the display in.
I don’t remember everything I had to take off but seems like
Door
Black front side fender
And part of the hood.

Sorry I don’t have better details on taking it out

C

Creeksquad

Jan 5, 2020
Deltona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After being submerged my dash wouldn't read so I drilled two holes in the front dry out the water and it still would not work, so after reading this thread I went out to the garage to snap a picture of the final solution :)

Mine was definitely not Honda's fault as they didn't design it to be a submarine.

View attachment 23912
This happened to mine, what did dealer say or warranty? Since obviously installing a new display returns all miles and hours to zero.... trying to figure out what to do

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
This happened to mine, what did dealer say or warranty? Since obviously installing a new display returns all miles and hours to zero.... trying to figure out what to do

In my case I did not even ask Honda as it was not there fault it got wet.

Speaking frankly there is Nothing a Honda dealer can do about the miles other than put it on a warranty claim so If you do a vin search it will show the display was replaced

Don't fret about it, miles and hours is just a age gauge.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!