P500 What did you do to/with your Pioneer 500 today?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Today, my 500 took a huge step forward when I did what Honda engineers couldn't:

20190404 200924

No more pulling 20 rivets and screws just to change the oil!

I went ahead and changed the filter, since the engine has been open 2 times on this fresh oil change. Wanted to get any dirt/dust that got trapped out

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Good idea @DG Rider , especially with the trigger shield. Thinking of doing same now and repurposing the OEM rubber flap from the hole under the drivers seat as a cover for the new hole, (did the trash can mod). Thinking the new flap would reduce heat flow/ build up to the ECM under the trigger shield.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Your hole is too big:p
It's from my white privilege.
Good idea @DG Rider , especially with the trigger shield. Thinking of doing same now and repurposing the OEM rubber flap from the hole under the drivers seat as a cover for the new hole, (did the trash can mod).
I'll probably add something later.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Today, my 500 took a huge step forward when I did what Honda engineers couldn't:

View attachment 120700

No more pulling 20 rivets and screws just to change the oil!

I went ahead and changed the filter, since the engine has been open 2 times on this fresh oil change. Wanted to get any dirt/dust that got trapped out

Any idea why Mother Honda put "No Storage" on that panel? Suppose it gets really hot or anything? If so, should we be concerned with heat on the ECM when we have a Trigger Shield installed? Just wondering because I like your idea and will look at doing the same.

Reactions: DG Rider and Caper
advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Any idea why Mother Honda put "No Storage" on that panel? Suppose it gets really hot or anything? If so, should we be concerned with heat on the ECM when we have a Trigger Shield installed? Just wondering because I like your idea and will look at doing the same.
So you wouldn't dull your saw as you cut the hole that Honda should have cut.

Just a guess: The fuel lines/sending unit top is very close to that area. If someone threw a some sockets or whatever in it that didn't "fit", and then plopped their fat ass down on the seat, it might get pushed down enough to break a fuel fitting off...and then spraying fuel everywhere on a hot engine. Polaris style bonfire.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
So you wouldn't dull your saw as you cut the hole that Honda should have cut.

Just a guess: The fuel lines/sending unit top is very close to that area. If someone threw a some sockets or whatever in it that didn't "fit", and then plopped their fat ass down on the seat, it might get pushed down enough to break a fuel fitting off...and then spraying fuel everywhere on a hot engine. Polaris style bonfire.
I’ve had the Trigger shield for a couple years. I haven’t noticed a problem with the heat. But then again , we don’t get the heat like you get. 100 up here is unusual. I don’t know how you guys do it. :)
Caper

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve had the Trigger shield for a couple years. I haven’t noticed a problem with the heat. But then again , we don’t get the heat like you get. 100 up here is unusual. I don’t know how you guys do it. :)
Caper

I'd have to say the ECM heat thing is a non issue. Several of us have been running some sort of heat shield for years now. It's also a safeguard from the sweat rolling off your back and shorting it out! :D

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Had the same question on ECM heat and just got a PM reply from one of our most knowledgeable members that its NOT likely a issue. That said, next time I have the seat off, will look if can move it above the barrier without much trouble because I do like the idea of an oil filter access hole, but do get a lot of steam going through water holes. “An ounce of prevention...”

Last edited:
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I'd have to say the ECM heat thing is a non issue. Several of us have been running some sort of heat shield for years now. It's also a safeguard from the sweat rolling off your back and shorting it out! :D
Hahaha. You got that right. Sooo true. :) :)

Reactions: rtn001
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Had the same question on ECM heat and just got a PM reply from one of our most knowledgeable members that its NOT likely a issue. That said, next time I have the seat off, will look if can move it above the barrier without much trouble because I do like the idea of an oil filter access hole, but do get a lot of steam going through water holes. “An ounce of prevention...”
For you southern boys. I think us northerners are ok. :) Still, I don’t know how you do it. :)
Caper

Reactions: rtn001
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
As for the access hole. Post a picture when you get it done. Please. :). Thanks Mudder
Caper
Thanks to @DG Rider for the picture, since I just changed the oil filter, will do it next cycle and reuse the OEM rubber flap from the drivers side using a few extra push pins. Its not doing any good in the drawer.

Image 579F0BEA B5B7 4CD7 BFF6 C2C9639D3F1F

Reactions: Caper and DG Rider
advertisement