P500 What did you do to/with your Pioneer 500 today?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes the first two sets they sent were bad material > The 3rd set was a new shipment of material and it laid in perfect . Very nice guys . If you like the looks I recommend them .
That's very good news. I don't know that I'm going to use that on my P5, but they may have other graphics that are of interest to me.

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
So I believe this belongs here. What did we do with our Pioneer 500 today. Well we took the little tart out for a serious run among the rocky roads of western Colorado. The Model P5 Toaster Oven is probably at this point hated or loved. I doubt there is any in between.

We did 45 miles of some pretty decent rock trails that showed signs of some serious bottoming out. Probably from the Polaris owners. Right now I am dead stock with the shocks and wheels. I wanted to see what it would do before we ordered tires and fondled the suspension. I averaged 12.5 miles an hour and about 29 to 30 mpg. So we are happy with that. We had two people at about 300#, my camping truck box full of the camping equipment (about #120#), 4 gallons of fuel plus full tank, winch added, cooler, Hi-Lift jack and the martini shaker.

I am doing better with the shifting and we did some very rocky 30-35 degree little hills with one as long as 400 yards and we could pull it in second gear. I did this without 4 wheel drive but our little Toaster Oven was slipping quite a bit but just wanted to see what the little oven would do.

So I am quite pleased with the little unit. I was about 7000 to 7500 feet and it did not seem to effect the power that much. The shocks are honestly not that bad. I found it was better to hit a big rock rise faster than slower and we did some at 15 mph that were 8-9" rises. Slower the Toaster Oven does not absorb the bump as well.

I really like the 5 speed manual transmission. You actually feel like you can drive the thing. I have never owned a automatic vehicle except my Can-Am and at 69 I am trying to leave this planet without ever owning one. . The lack of power steering is not a issue but this of course is coming from a guy who wore out two Land Cruisers without power steering.

I never once felt like I was going to tip over even running at what my wife and trusty copilot described as reckless driving. But then she doesn't drive so take it for what its worth.

Now onto the Toaster Oven. Yes I now completely agree with the gents who have casually or in more violent terms mentioned the heat coming up through the seats. I now know what the space under the drivers seat should be used for. We should all install a Coleman stove oven and we can cook pretty much anything we want while riding. It was 80 today and that is about as hot as I would like to be with the blast furnace we are sitting on. I am currently just deciding what insulation I want. I don't care if its $500 a square foot that is what is going under the seats.

I am extremely happy with the purchase and the P5 in general. This could very well become the Toaster Oven you love to hate.

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
I did my first service then I loaded her up and went down to the cabin. Checked and shuffled some cameras around. I let the wife as I enjoyed some cold beverages. Oh and I found some people decided they wanted to access my my land via pipeline. Hope they like flat tires

Last edited:
Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
So I believe this belongs here. What did we do with our Pioneer 500 today. Well we took the little tart out for a serious run among the rocky roads of western Colorado. The Model P5 Toaster Oven is probably at this point hated or loved. I doubt there is any in between.

We did 45 miles of some pretty decent rock trails that showed signs of some serious bottoming out. Probably from the Polaris owners. Right now I am dead stock with the shocks and wheels. I wanted to see what it would do before we ordered tires and fondled the suspension. I averaged 12.5 miles an hour and about 29 to 30 mpg. So we are happy with that. We had two people at about 300#, my camping truck box full of the camping equipment (about #120#), 4 gallons of fuel plus full tank, winch added, cooler, Hi-Lift jack and the martini shaker.

I am doing better with the shifting and we did some very rocky 30-35 degree little hills with one as long as 400 yards and we could pull it in second gear. I did this without 4 wheel drive but our little Toaster Oven was slipping quite a bit but just wanted to see what the little oven would do.

So I am quite pleased with the little unit. I was about 7000 to 7500 feet and it did not seem to effect the power that much. The shocks are honestly not that bad. I found it was better to hit a big rock rise faster than slower and we did some at 15 mph that were 8-9" rises. Slower the Toaster Oven does not absorb the bump as well.

I really like the 5 speed manual transmission. You actually feel like you can drive the thing. I have never owned a automatic vehicle except my Can-Am and at 69 I am trying to leave this planet without ever owning one. . The lack of power steering is not a issue but this of course is coming from a guy who wore out two Land Cruisers without power steering.

I never once felt like I was going to tip over even running at what my wife and trusty copilot described as reckless driving. But then she doesn't drive so take it for what its worth.

Now onto the Toaster Oven. Yes I now completely agree with the gents who have casually or in more violent terms mentioned the heat coming up through the seats. I now know what the space under the drivers seat should be used for. We should all install a Coleman stove oven and we can cook pretty much anything we want while riding. It was 80 today and that is about as hot as I would like to be with the blast furnace we are sitting on. I am currently just deciding what insulation I want. I don't care if its $500 a square foot that is what is going under the seats.

I am extremely happy with the purchase and the P5 in general. This could very well become the Toaster Oven you love to hate.

I love how refer to it as the little toaster! The little toaster that could.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Awesome report loco. Get you a graphic with your rides name on it. These are indeed a blast to have and use. So how far in were you for the camp? Any pics? We always like to see pics.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I did my first service then I loaded her up and went down to the cabin. Checked and shuffled some cameras around. I let the wife as I enjoyed some cold beverages. Oh and I found some people decided they wanted to access my my land via pipeline. Hope they like flat tires

View attachment 19268
Seriously, trespassers? I hope they didn't molest your cabin!

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
I did my first service then I loaded her up and went down to the cabin. Checked and stuffled some cameras around. I let the wife as I enjoyed some cold beverages.

View attachment 19268
Seriously, trespassers? I hope they didn't molest your cabin!

No I've been watching them
For a little while. They just pick one pipeline that's not fenced off hop on it and ride through. Don't mess with anything at all.

Reactions: Montecresto
locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
20160730 110902 resized
Awesome report loco. Get you a graphic with your rides name on it. These are indeed a blast to have and use. So how far in were you for the camp? Any pics? We always like to see pics.

We only went out for the day. I wanted all the weight I would normally carry to see how it would do. My wife is recovering from cancer and this was actually her first time out of the house in almost 9 months except for doctors appointments and surgery 4 surgeries later she is good. She did fine but camping right now for her would be a bit much.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 19273

We only went out for the day. I wanted all the weight I would normally carry to see how it would do. My wife is recovering from cancer and this was actually her first time out of the house in almost 9 months except for doctors appointments and surgery 4 surgeries later she is good. She did fine but camping right now for her would be a bit much.
Nice, let's hope she has a full recovery and you two go camping with your P5!

Reactions: scottp500
advertisement
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500

Where in western Colorado?

J

Jshell3

...Toaster Oven... heat coming up through the seats.... I am currently just deciding what insulation I want.
Where did you get the heat shield?
Amazon. (<-- link) It's good stuff. $45. Made from recycled water bottles. Takes away the heat from the seatbelt area. And you'll hear the tailpipe instead of the engine (more like an ATV).

And a 6.5 inch piece makes a great bottom in your truck box! Image

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I am in Grand Junction like you. We are moving next summer to Silverton to live there full time. Lived there 79 to 85 and really miss it.
Unlimited riding around Silverton. I have some friends that live in Montrose and a second house in Silverton but since they retired I would say the second house is now in Montrose.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Where did you get the heat shield?
Ebay , found all the info here , there is a thread for it with the link however the seller left all tags on it . Charged mr close to 50 his cost was 26

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3