P500 What did you do to/with your Pioneer 500 today?

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
INITIAL SERVICE, ENGINE LIGHT, VOLT METER:
Took the 2017 P5 in for it's "initial service". The dealer was insistent on this service... and of course getting his $450. I was pretty easy on the 'Dirt Pig' during the first 175 kms. Nothing required adjusting. Unlike some folks, I did not notice any change in the automatic shifting after the first oil change. The shifting seems to progressively be getting better, or maybe it's me getting used to the machine. Everything was good UNTIL I GOT THE RIG HOME.

Unloaded it from the truck and the yellow engine warning light started flashing. WTF! Called the dealer and he said to bring it back in. Once at the dealer, the tech came over and already knew what was wrong. The 'air box sensor' wasn't properly plugged in. I heard him click it in. Engine light gone. Dealer was good enough to give me a $50 voucher for my next visit so I cooled off pretty quick.

20170126 151831 resized This is a view over the right rear tire. Air box sensor is at 12:30.

20170126 151734 resized Here's a closer look at the air box sensor plug. That'll be the first thing I wiggle when I get my next engine warning light.
(I tried to make an arrow in the dust.)

20170126 135101 resized I bought the Mictuning voltmeter. It's a simple thing but appears to be solid enough. Requires a 1.5" hole saw. I thought about positioning the meter up near either RAM mount, but there wasn't the room. Also, those RAM mounts can vibrate abit so I wanted to leave as much dash-plastic-integrity as I could. These meters come in a variety of colors. I picked red because it's the least obtrusive at night.

20170126 143513 resized I really like having the volt meter. The light isn't so bright that it would bother you at night. Gives me a good idea what the 30" light bar does when turned on. Volts drop from 14.5 to a steady 13.8.

Al

Last edited:
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I picked up a new builder a few months back and he noticed my SSS sticker on my trucks back window. Turns out he owns North Carolina Motorsports park in Henderson NC. He said he doesn't allow SXSs on his tracks, which makes sense. BUT he was dozing one of his four tracks and invited me up. We did two tracks with the 500. It was clumsy but fun. He also has a few miles of dirt bike trails through the woods. We rode those. And thank God we are at 50".
It was good to get the ride out for a few hours and blow off work for the day

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
SPARE KEY
Had a key cut for the DirtPig and stashed it in the owner's manual under the seat. Hopefully will never need to use it, but it's there!
Al
did you not get two with the DirtPig?

Reactions: Dp5hunter
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
SPARE KEY
Had a key cut for the DirtPig and stashed it in the owner's manual under the seat. Hopefully will never need to use it, but it's there!
Al

I'm not big on monster size key rings or those 2' long lanyards that the all the kids use these days but I made sure I got something of size for the P5. Chances are if you lose it on the trail, it's gone, but with a decent size key ring on...at least you have a shot at finding it.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
I'm not big on monster size key rings or those 2' long lanyards that the all the kids use these days but I made sure I got something of size for the P5. Chances are if you lose it on the trail, it's gone, but with a decent size key ring on...at least you have a shot at finding it.

Here's the thing. If you have stashed a spare key... you'll never lose your main key. The inverse is inevitable!

advertisement
locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Thumbnail 2016 01 2120Mammoth20Locomotive201 21 17200021

Went down to visit the Pioneer as I moved it to Silverton and work on the money pit. Took this before 2 more feet of snow fell. There is about 4 to 5 feet everywhere and after spending the night it was 28 below. Yes I sleep in a air bed with a down bag but we don't have all the insulation in yet so it was a little chilly. Don't think we are going to get much work done until things thaw out a bit on the new digs. Its the worst snow has been in town in 50 years. So I had a nice chat with the Pioneer and got it another blanket. ;)

swinn

swinn

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2017
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-4
This is my first post but I've been lurking for a few months now. I bought a 2017 about four weeks ago and have been having a blast riding around our property and making new trails through the woods. My latest mod is this "tailgate" made out of a 2x4 we had lying around.
WP 20170131 07 05 04 Rich 2

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This is my first post but I've been lurking for a few months now. I bought a 2017 about four weeks ago and have been having a blast riding around our property and making new trails through the woods. My latest mod is this "tailgate" made out of a 2x4 we had lying around.
View attachment 32021
Welcome to the forum, glad you came out of the shadows to become legitimate. :D:D Nice looking tailgate!!

J

Jshell3

Here's the thing. If you have stashed a spare key... you'll never lose your main key. The inverse is inevitable!
You're a funny guy!
N'r a truer statement spoken. I'll place the spare key, too! Here's to hope I never use it!

Reactions: AlR
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
Storage Tray:
I didn't want to spend any $$ on a tray for the back rack. I like a tray with sides; holds things in better. Momma will use the tray to move flower pots around etc. I'm not a metal fabricator, but I do have a wood shop. Used some 3/4" plywood for the base and 1/2" ply for the sides. The costliest part of this tray was buying the paint. The tray is held in with heavy zip-ties at six locations.
20170201 130534 resized I like wood 'cuz I can place eye bolts anywhere I need.

20170201 155100 resized I screwed the aluminum box onto the tray. I'm pretty sure this will all hold together. If it shakes loose, I'll pipe clamp the tray on and bolt the aluminum box down. I put several eye bolts in and bungied the chain saw down; it's super secure in the tray.

20170201 130641 resized Of course, no job is complete without a hondasxs.com decal !

Al

Last edited:
lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Storage Tray:
I didn't want to spend any $$ on a tray for the back rack. I like a tray with sides; holds things in better. Momma will use the tray to move flower pots around etc. I'm not a metal fabricator, but I do have a wood shop. Used some 3/4" plywood for the base and 1/2" ply for the sides. The costliest part of this tray was buying the paint. The tray is held in with heavy zip-ties at six locations.
View attachment 32124 I like wood 'cuz I can place eye bolts anywhere I need.

View attachment 32125 I screwed the aluminum box onto the tray. I'm pretty sure this will all hold together. If it shakes loose, I'll pipe clamp the tray on and bolt the aluminum box down. I put several eye bolts in and bungied the chain saw down; it's super secure in the tray.

View attachment 32126 Of course, no job is complete without a hondasxs.com decal !

Al
What are the dimensions of the wood box you built? Looks nice.

advertisement