What did you do to/with your Talon today?

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
And I'm running KM3's now. :eek: I think I was running the K02's when I broke the first two, both are BFG tires. Thanks for the tip about Ace. 👍
Way back when I was going through this, paulf was leading me by the hand and educating me on how things should measure out. I'll try to find the thread

Reactions: Smittyp and CID
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hard to believe but found it. The 11/16 refers to the km3
Bead clamp width on System 3 and STI wheels is 10 mm. You should shoot for a 25% crush but at least 20% to avoid leaks. That means the bead needs to be at least 12 mm and preferably 13 to 14 mm. 7/16 = 11 mm so that is why the Terrabites are hard to seal.

The variation in the bead thickness makes some of them leak and some not. I had one that only lost 1 psi a week but another that lost 1-2 psi a day and the other 2 somewhere in the middle but I never measured all of mine to see if there was a difference.

11/16 = 17+ mm so you will experience bead ring "coning" if you are not careful. DO NOT over torque the ring bolts and you will need to constantly re-torque your rings because they are not bottomed out and the rubber will compress over time.

Reactions: Smittyp and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hard to believe but found it. The 11/16 refers to the km3
That reply, especially by Paul, answers a question that I've had since I installed tires on BLs for the first time - are the rings supposed to bottom out on the wheel or will there be a space between the two. So the answer is - it depends on the thickness of the tire's bead. The concern I had is when I'd tighten them 'later' - that gap would be full of sand/gravel and it would crunch as I tightened each bolt, that just didn't seem right. :eek:

fwiw: I rarely use a torque wrench, I've been going by feel for so long, and have read so many broken fastener stories about torque wrenches, that I only use them for engine building and other structural assemblies. For the curious, why do I think a torque wrench breaks fasteners, especially smaller ones? With the length of a torque wrench being longer than a regular end wrench, you lose all feel for how tight you're getting the fastener, and that little extra 'to make sure', results in a broken bolt. :oops:

End wrenches are different lengths for a reason -
OIP

Last edited:
Nevada Notch

Nevada Notch

Jul 3, 2021
Carson City
It's not what I did to my Talon today, it's what I had happen to it's trailer.....

Wasp infestation in the trailer tube!

Looks like it's time for a little spray insulation down the aluminum trailer tongue tube!

Rand

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Picked up the Talons Saturday afternoon from having front a-arms and rear radius arms installed along with my re-worked suspension from Double E Racing. Installed a host of RaceCo braces and hubs, stainless brake lines and lightened wave rotors on the green machine, 1st service on the blue Talon along with a host of other upgrades.

IMG 0045 IMG 0039 IMG 0041 IMG 0040 IMG 0036 IMG 0035 IMG 0044 IMG 0043

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
It's not what I did to my Talon today, it's what I had happen to it's trailer.....

Wasp infestation in the trailer tube!

Looks like it's time for a little spray insulation down the aluminum trailer tongue tube!

Rand
Had that happen earlier this year. I didn't have any spray so I backed the truck up and let the exhaust blow down the tongue. cleared them right out.

AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
Not mine but my buddy's. New SATV prop shaft installed. It's WAY easier with two people. One underneath holding the shaft and one working from the top on the clip ring. It came out so fast I thought we had Divine Help after the debacle when I did mine by myself.

• Haha
Reactions: CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Picked up the Talons Saturday afternoon from having front a-arms and rear radius arms installed along with my re-worked suspension from Double E Racing. Installed a host of RaceCo braces and hubs, stainless brake lines and lightened wave rotors on the green machine, 1st service on the blue Talon along with a host of other upgrades.

View attachment 439458 View attachment 439459 View attachment 439460 View attachment 439461 View attachment 439462 View attachment 439463 View attachment 439464 View attachment 439465

Hell ya!

Did you send the rotors to my buddy Brian for lightening?

advertisement
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I took the doors apart on the older Talon and replaced hinge bushings and missing screws in the panels. Installed the door storage nets on the inside of doors, replaced a door skin that was showing some wear and adjusted latches. Started readjusting the drivers seat harness and needing to find a better solution for crotch strap.

Reactions: CID, EMAW and AMink
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Hell ya!

Did you send the rotors to my buddy Brian for lightening?
I purchased a set of wave rotors and plan to send the takeoffs to your buddy. I achieved the same result with the wave rotors. I took it for a quick spin Sunday morning and lightly bedded them in and am liking the way the pedal feels with the new brake lines. Looking forward to getting out and better evaluating the suspension upgrades.

Last edited:
Barracuda

Barracuda

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2021
Washington state
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

2. w/Turbo
I finished installing my Tusk heated seats in the Talon X4 that I had from Christmas - I think my center panel has enough switches now... I don't have a lot to show other than the switches - the seats do get plenty warm - especially for summer weather (lol);

AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I finished installing my Tusk heated seats in the Talon X4 that I had from Christmas - I think my center panel has enough switches now... I don't have a lot to show other than the switches - the seats do get plenty warm - especially for summer weather (lol);
View attachment 440802
I want A/C seats!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I should have bought a Jeep/Bronco!

Fixed that for you. 🤣

I find it comical watching guys buying SxS's and then spending thousands of dollars on accessories and gadgets to try and turn their SxS into a Jeep or similar because.... "Eew, I don't want to get dirty or be hot" in this offroad machine I use in the dirt in the heat of summer.

And let's not get into the dick swinging Milwaukee pack out contest you all seem to have going on here. I personally know guys that race KOH and Baja that bring WAY less s*** with them for emergency repairs while on course than you guys do to go trail ride for a few hours or for a weekend adventure. 🤣

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Fixed that for you. 🤣

I find it comical watching guys buying SxS's and then spending thousands of dollars on accessories and gadgets to try and turn their SxS into a Jeep or similar because.... "Eew, I don't want to get dirty or be hot" in this offroad machine I use in the dirt in the heat of summer.

And let's not get into the dick swinging Milwaukee pack out contest you all seem to have going on here. I personally know guys that race KOH and Baja that bring WAY less s*** with them for emergency repairs while on course than you guys do to go trail ride for a few hours or for a weekend adventure. 🤣
What's your thoughts regarding a roof top pop up tent?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
What's your thoughts regarding a roof top pop up tent?

The broverlanders had to keep the ghey sex a secrete from their wives and the rest of the world somehow, thus the invention of the RTT. "Overlanding" doesn't mean what you think it means.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Scrappapotamus