P1000 What do you folks think about tie rods?

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well, it took way longer than I thought but....bent a tie rod this weekend. I was able to fix it and get out from 8 miles back so, there's that but I now want the best I can get!

I looked at the Savage Hiem rods but would love a grease ball joint.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, it took way longer than I thought but....bent a tie rod this weekend. I was able to fix it and get out from 8 miles back so, there's that but I now want the best I can get!

I looked at the Savage Hiem rods but would love a grease ball joint.

Any suggestions?
Dont upgrade tie rods. It transfers energy to more expensive parts that are harder to fix on the trail. My advise would be to take a extra with you.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Another thing to note: this was the first ride after I raised my tire air pressure to 12 PSI from about 4-5 PSI. I think that might have slammed the tire more than sucking it up on a low pressure tire, I know I've hit little stumps like this before hundreds of times. I liked the 1" in hight I gained but, the sand riding and obviously the small stump that took out the rod are worth the loss of ground clearance.

Reactions: Plumber32 and sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was considering this as well, these rods are weak as cold piss!

I think I need a Talon!

Aren't you running portals and 30+" tires? I'd let the tierods absorb and dissipate impact instead of the portal or steering rack. Much easier and only $20 for a tierod. I look at it as a fuseable link.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Aren't you running portals and 30+" tires? I'd let the tierods absorb and dissipate impact instead of the portal or steering rack. Much easier and only $20 for a tierod. I look at it as a fuseable link.
Yes and I happened to have raised the tire air pressure up to 12 PSI from about 4-5 PSI. I hit a little stump under the waterline in a puddle. I've hit much worse so I'm blaming the higher air pressure. I bought two new arms and keeping one with me in the repair kit.
I bought them yesterday (Saturday) at a Honda Dealer and they had their first Talon (R) at front of the entrance. I sure wish the Pioneer steering arms we're designed like the Talons! LOL

On another note: I'm not all impressed with the Talon, it's smaller in real life and was a little tight for me at 6'4" tall.
As I've said a thousand times here about the Portal subject: where I ride, I'd need lift and tires on a Talon. Looking at the Talon, you'll definitely need forward new A Arms to put larger tires on, just like the Pioneer. I couldn't spend a lot of time as I had people waiting for me but, it looks like the Talon only has 2 wheel drive or i4 wheel drive? No turf? Is that true? I'm sure this was discussed but I must have missed it.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes and I happened to have raised the tire air pressure up to 12 PSI from about 4-5 PSI. I hit a little stump under the waterline in a puddle. I've hit much worse so I'm blaming the higher air pressure. I bought two new arms and keeping one with me in the repair kit.
I bought them yesterday (Saturday) at a Honda Dealer and they had their first Talon (R) at front of the entrance. I sure wish the Pioneer steering arms we're designed like the Talons! LOL

On another note: I'm not all impressed with the Talon, it's smaller in real life and was a little tight for me at 6'4" tall.
As I've said a thousand times here about the Portal subject: where I ride, I'd need lift and tires on a Talon. Looking at the Talon, you'll definitely need forward new A Arms to put larger tires on, just like the Pioneer. I couldn't spend a lot of time as I had people waiting for me but, it looks like the Talon only has 2 wheel drive or i4 wheel drive? No turf? Is that true? I'm sure this was discussed but I must have missed it.

Depends on your definition of larger tires 30’s fit no mods depending on the manufacturer 32’s might fit because they aren’t true 32’s.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Depends on your definition of larger tires 30’s fit no mods depending on the manufacturer 32’s might fit because they aren’t true 32’s.

On the X model I looked at yesterday, the front tire wasn't that far off the fender well and under compression, it would be real close imho

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know true 30’s will fit fine. True 32’s I’m not sure about, but a 32 that measures 30” should still fit ....but then you really don’t have a 32. I hope 32’s will fit because they would be good for rock crawling.

Seeing them get at it on factory 28’s (meaning they are probably 27’s) I think a true 30 should be fine for the majority of non mudders. Where you have to ride you need the tires and portals. Honda could but won’t make a mud edition, because Warranty on a mud edition. I would assume that’s why they are so heavily advertising the Talon with dunes and mostly dry rocks. To be able to say “we never advertised using it in deep water.”

I like watching the mud videos but I hate cleaning so mud ain’t my thing.

D

DDDonkey

Off topic here but how many people here run portals vs IGR? Seems they are both great ideas and work for different environments, both have pros and cons. The biggest cons for portals are cost, extra width, and hard on suspension, but IGR is not perfect either. IGR means moding the cover plate (harder to return to stock), needs speed sensors, and the transmission solenoid adjusted to shift correctly. Just wondering has a poll ever been done on how many are running what.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Off topic here but how many people here run portals vs IGR? Seems they are both great ideas and work for different environments, both have pros and cons. The biggest cons for portals are cost, extra width, and hard on suspension, but IGR is not perfect either. IGR means moding the cover plate (harder to return to stock), needs speed sensors, and the transmission solenoid adjusted to shift correctly. Just wondering has a poll ever been done on how many are running what.

What you said.... but expanded.

Portals are better for mud and swamp.
Higher wider and get gear reduction to run larger tires.

IGR is better for Rocky and Hills.
Lower can control width and stresses on suspension. Get lower gearing to run taller tires and keep close to factory gearing to crawl.

Reactions: SuperDutyJohn
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Don't have the answer you're looking for but as to Portals, yes they are expensive but as stated above, I'm swamp and mud, it wasn't an option to not run them and stay up with the crowd. My area has mud buggies and they purposely try to f*** up the trails and a stock machine will not get through 3/4's of the trails. Maintenance is: change the oil about every three to four rides, 8 hour rides. Sounds hard but it takes 20 minutes and a quart of 80 90 gear oil.

I personally like the way a Pioneer looks with the wider stance and know full and well, it would not make the nimble mountain trails I used to ride.

Reactions: ohanacreek
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Now for y’all who really want to get power to the ground install IGR, 8” portals AND TRACKS!!!

I’m just saying you could probably get anywhere in Turf mode
I get anywhere with turf and Portals, only the worst deep mud gets the i4WD. Stock Honda's in my area are lucky to make 1/2 the trails with 4 wheel lock, if they don't swamp in the water. Yeah, we have to "Submarine" them here but, it's part of the fun!

Reactions: ohanacreek

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!