Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I also think there's something to be said for LUCK. Call me crazy but there seems to be an intangible variable out there that you can't quite put your finger on. A little luck never hurts.
Good points, thanks for the input. Btw, I’m going to move up from a 2500 to a 3500, does that change your opinions any?

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good points, thanks for the input. Btw, I’m going to move up from a 2500 to a 3500, does that change your opinions any?
Single rear wheel or dually? My brother has a SRW f350 and I have an f250. The motor, tranny, drive train is all the same. The only difference is he has a tad heavier leaf springs on the rear. I added air bags to mine and It will tow just as much as his and rides better.

That being said, a dually is different. It is certainly more stable and has 6 wheels to stop you vs 4. It kind of depends what you're towing and how often.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: moparornocar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Single rear wheel or dually? My brother has a SRW f350 and I have an f250. The motor, tranny, drive train is all the same. The only difference is he has a tad heavier leaf springs on the rear. I added air bags to mine and It will tow just as much as his and rides better.

That being said, a dually is different. It is certainly more stable and has 6 wheels to stop you vs 4. It kind of depends what you're towing and how often.

Single. I’ve never liked the dually look or the extra width and all the broken fenders you see on the road. Also, it will be my primary truck, so it won’t be towing as much as it will be just a pickup. But you’ve got me wondering why I should go up to the 3500 if there’s no difference between it and the 2500. When I tow the toyhauler it will be in the 12,000 pound range and my tractors around 8,000 pounds. I just hate the 6.0 gutless gas burner in my 2500.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Single. I’ve never liked the dually look or the extra width and all the broken fenders you see on the road. Also, it will be my primary truck, so it won’t be towing as much as it will be just a pickup. But you’ve got me wondering why I should go up to the 3500 if there’s no difference between it and the 2500. When I tow the toyhauler it will be in the 12,000 pound range and my tractors around 8,000 pounds. I just hate the 6.0 gas gutless gas burner in my 2500.

Look at hitch weight then add whoever’s in the truck, plus anything else in the truck to that.

Will that be under the payload rating?

It’s more than just carrying it you want to be stable and stoppable.

Diesel is almost a must for loads.

You can do it with a gasser but doesn’t mean it’s the best way.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Look at hitch weight then add whoever’s in the truck, plus anything else in the truck to that.

Will that be under the payload rating?

It’s more than just carrying it you want to be stable and stoppable.

Diesel is almost a must for loads.

You can do it with a gasser but doesn’t mean it’s the best way.
Thanks. And yeah, I know gas isn’t the way to go. That’s what I’ve got and I’m tired of starting out at 65 at the bottom of a hill and topping the hill at 45 while watching a diesel start out at 45 at the bottom of the hill and topping the hill at 65.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Single. I’ve never liked the dually look or the extra width and all the broken fenders you see on the road. Also, it will be my primary truck, so it won’t be towing as much as it will be just a pickup. But you’ve got me wondering why I should go up to the 3500 if there’s no difference between it and the 2500. When I tow the toyhauler it will be in the 12,000 pound range and my tractors around 8,000 pounds. I just hate the 6.0 gutless gas burner in my 2500.

You have many of the same reasons as me. At 12,000lbs a 3/4 ton diesel is plenty. I'm biased towards the f250 diesel and I have driven all 3. Nonetheless a 250 or 2500 should suit you just fine.

3/4 ton trucks are pretty popular. You could potentially find a better deal on a single rear wheel 1 ton. Which is exactly why my brother has one. Ride is the same.

Reactions: moparornocar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
You have many of the same reasons as me. At 12,000lbs a 3/4 ton diesel is plenty. I'm biased towards the f250 diesel and I have driven all 3. Nonetheless a 250 or 2500 should suit you just fine.

3/4 ton trucks are pretty popular. You could potentially find a better deal on a single rear wheel 1 ton. Which is exactly why my brother has one. Ride is the same.

Well then, I suppose unless I can get a better deal with the 1 ton I’ll stay with a 3/4 ton. Which diesel is in your Ford?

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe if you’re hauling a big camper or working the truck, always get the biggest you can afford. There’s never been a truck too big to do the job, only too small. Now that I’ve finally gotten a 1 ton truck and pulled my camper with it, I’ll never waste my money on a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck again. Monte, the 2011+ fords have the 6.7 powerstroke.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I believe if you’re hauling a big camper or working the truck, always get the biggest you can afford. There’s never been a truck too big to do the job, only too small. Now that I’ve finally gotten a 1 ton truck and pulled my camper with it, I’ll never waste my money on a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck again. Monte, the 2011+ fords have the 6.7 powerstroke.
Sounds good, are you saying that the 6.7 is superior to the 6.0. And I’m buying new so what’s available in the new 1 ton Fords, 6.7?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
6.7 in the new ones. And they rock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok sounds good. You think better than the Duramax/Allison combo?

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Honestly, I think any of the big three are good trucks. I lean towards the Ram and Ford for solid front axles. I like the full, manually selected locking rear diff in the Ford.

Reactions: Tflynn
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I like the full, manually selected locking rear diff in the Ford.
Whoa, didn’t know about that! That’s huge on the plus side for Ford!!

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Whoa, didn’t know about that! That’s huge on the plus side for Ford!!

Yes, it will engage in any drive mode (2wd, 4H, or 4L) at speeds of less than 20 MPH

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Yes, it will engage in any drive mode (2wd, 4H, or 4L) at speeds of less than 20 MPH

Of everything I’ve heard about Ford that’s the most appealing feature yet. I may go look at the Ford.

Reactions: elkaholic
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds good, are you saying that the 6.7 is superior to the 6.0. And I’m buying new so what’s available in the new 1 ton Fords, 6.7?

This is coming from someone who has never owned a diesel previously nor owns one now and is looking like you.
Does this all seem about right to you guys who know? Because this is the information I am basing my buying decisions off of...

I have been looking for a couple of years at the 12v/24v and Powerstrokes.
I have no allegiance to any of the big three BUT, I have bought my last GM product, I would burn one and claim insurance if it were given to me to save someone else the problem of owning it.
I have owned 3 full-size GM gassers from showroom in the last 20 years.
Chevy Customer service and engineering has soured me on the brand as a whole.
I bought the one I have now because I got it 20k less than I could get the Ford I was looking at, wish Id bought the Ford....
(8PM on New Years Eve they came off a LOT)

From what I have gathered people seem to generally agree (ignore the blatant fanboys) that the 12v is better than the 24v but its still a great solid motor and that the 7.3 and the 6.7 are the reliable power strokes. The 6.0 and 6.4 each have their possibly very expensive issues, but can be bulletproofed IF done correctly. I have read more complaints about the motors themselves than the transmissions if they are used normally. i.e.: Not 100% max tow all the time or abused.

I am seriously considering a 7.3 right now for what I would use it for, price range is right and capabilities are within what I need.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honestly, I think any of the big three are good trucks. I lean towards the Ram and Ford for solid front axles. I like the full, manually selected locking rear diff in the Ford.

I have the 6.7 Ford it is a 2015 and it has enough power to scare you. That is no joke. The brand new ones have even more power. I can put it to the floor when doing 65 on the interstate and it will whip your head back.

I love the locking rear diff as well.

My buddy that is a diesel mechanic says the ford transmission will take more than any of them. he has ran over 900 horse power through a stock Ford transmission on a 6.7 l diesel.

He says the Dodge is a good tranny as well just replace the torque converter and all is good.

Reactions: Montecresto
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The problem I have found around my area is that all the older 3/4 and 1 tons have HUGE amounts of miles on them. Most are warn out and still bring a premium price.
I have a cousin that bought a very low milege F250 with the 6.0 and spent the 3 to 4k on it to make it bulletproof. He swares by that truck now.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is coming from someone who has never owned a diesel previously nor owns one now and is looking like you.
Does this all seem about right to you guys who know? Because this is the information I am basing my buying decisions off of...

I have been looking for a couple of years at the 12v/24v and Powerstrokes.
I have no allegiance to any of the big three BUT, I have bought my last GM product, I would burn one and claim insurance if it were given to me to save someone else the problem of owning it.
I have owned 3 full-size GM gassers from showroom in the last 20 years.
Chevy Customer service and engineering has soured me on the brand as a whole.
I bought the one I have now because I got it 20k less than I could get the Ford I was looking at, wish Id bought the Ford....
(8PM on New Years Eve they came off a LOT)

From what I have gathered people seem to generally agree (ignore the blatant fanboys) that the 12v is better than the 24v but its still a great solid motor and that the 7.3 and the 6.7 are the reliable power strokes. The 6.0 and 6.4 each have their possibly very expensive issues, but can be bulletproofed IF done correctly. I have read more complaints about the motors themselves than the transmissions if they are used normally. i.e.: Not 100% max tow all the time or abused.

I am seriously considering a 7.3 right now for what I would use it for, price range is right and capabilities are within what I need.
You are pretty well on track. The 7.3 is a great ol reliable motor much like the old 12 valve Cummins. When it comes to power there is simply no comparison between those 2 motors and a 6.7 Ford. It is truly night and day.

If you're not pulling real heavy loads (15k+) and the 7.3 checks all your boxes by all means don't be afraid to get one. They run forever.

Reactions: ohanacreek and BWAF
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!