Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Like this lol? I don’t drive with mine out but know many that do. They claim it’s a tribute to all of the fallen 6.0 Powerstrokes.
DA298D84 B6F4 4BDE A651 91FC2F6ECF1D

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Like this lol? I don’t drive with mine out but know many that do. They claim it’s a tribute to all of the fallen 6.0 Powerstrokes. View attachment 64508
That for clearing that up @CumminsPusher, I never could figure out why most people that drive with them out don't even own a trailer. I did ask a woman why they did that and she said it was because her husbands tool was small..what ever that meant.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That for clearing that up @CumminsPusher, I never could figure out why especially most people that drive with them out don't even own a trailer. I did ask a woman why they did that and she said it was because her husbands tool was small..what ever that meant.
I hate them out it’s so much harder to see unless you’re actually pulling something. Other people’s kids I tell ya!

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like this lol? I don’t drive with mine out but know many that do. They claim it’s a tribute to all of the fallen 6.0 Powerstrokes. View attachment 64508

Fallen 6.0 Powerstrokes?

I’ve got a 2003 F250 Lariat 4x4 FX4 with over 300,000

Only major things done to it was replaced the HPOP at 200,000 and did the Bullet Proof kit at 240,000 (didn’t need it, just precautionary) and installed a 100% aluminum radiator at the same time.

We do a lot of heavy towing and you just can’t kill the ol girl. I’d love a new truck but this one won’t die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Let me preface by saying I think at this time ALL the new trucks are good. I'm not die hard on any of the big three, I've seen them all break. That being said, I've always heard it put like this- if you want something more luxurious get a Chevy. If you want something a little that is more of a work horse go with a ford or dodge. This idea is probably a little outdated now and is likely referring to the ifs vs. Solid axle front end. My dad has the Chevy you want and loves it. I drive a 6.7 powerstroke and love it. I've never met someone that owns a dodge that doesn't love it. So I guess my opinion is drive all the ones you're interested in and see what you like
Thanks buddy. I have in fact driven the three of them, ride and luxury, important as it is, is second to performance and dependability, for me anyway. I just know that the Duramax/Allison and the Cummins have a longevity and reputation that it seems Ford has suffered from when they had to abandon the awesome 7.3 being unable to bring it into EPA specs. What have they had, two motors since trying to get it right?? Do we know yet if the 6.7 will hold up and perform in the long run??? And is there any personal knowledge on the power between the three to pull heavy loads up hills etc,? Thanks again!!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Fallen 6.0 Powerstrokes?

Only major things done to it was replaced the HPOP at 200,000 and did the Bullet Proof kit at 240,000 (didn’t need it, just precautionary) and installed a 100% aluminum radiator at the same time.

We do a lot of heavy towing and you just can’t kill the ol girl. I’d love a new truck but this one won’t die.

That’s positive testimony! Is that with the 6.7??

advertisement
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks buddy. I have in fact driven the three of them, ride and luxury, important as it is, is second to performance and dependability, for me anyway. I just know that the Duramax/Allison and the Cummins have a longevity and reputation that it seems Ford has suffered from when they had to abandon the awesome 7.3 being unable to bring it into EPA specs. What have they had, two motors since trying to get it right?? Do we know yet if the 6.7 will hold up and perform in the long run??? And is there any personal knowledge on the power between the three to pull heavy loads up hills etc,? Thanks again!!!

Reactions: junior1954
SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
In regards to a tow vehicle, I feel a bit inadequate. The 2018 Ford Super Dutys have 935 ft-lbs torque and my 2017 Super Duty only has 925. Help me Dr. Phil!

My lowly 840 is severely lacking now. That being said, if I'm empty without the deck on, I usually can't keep the rears hooked in the wet anyways so.....

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I put reliability above all else as well but I try to look at the truck as a whole. You've probably heard people say," if I could just put a Cummins with an Allison in a ford I'd have a perfect truck". Well Ford's have had great transmissions since the 6.0 (people were too busy bashing the 6.0 to mention that) and the 6.7, although still known as a Powerstroke, is an entirely new engine made by ford, NOT International who built the 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4. So comparing this new 6.7 to those old powerstrokes is like comparing Honda to Kawasaki. Totally different companies and totally different engines. As for longevity of the 6.7 it has been out since 2010 or 11 so already it's seen over twice the production years as either the 6.0 or 6.4 which tells me they feel like they finally got it figured out. Not to go on a ford fanboy rant but hey you asked!

As for pulling power, don't we live in a great era! All these trucks make WAY more power than most people will ever use and are capable of towing loads most people cannot legally tow without a class A license. I mean it makes me think of the muscle car horsepower wars of the 70's. These new trucks stock power levels surpass what a heavily modified diesel could put out in the early 2000's. So unless you're regularly towing in excess of 15,000 lbs. I don't think you have to worry about power.

Reactions: Plumber32
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Fallen 6.0 Powerstrokes?

I had an 04 with 240,000 on it when I sold it. HPOP at around 180k and a New radiator was all I ever had to do to it. Not bad for that many miles I thought.

Reactions: Plumber32
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I used to be a pretty diehard Chevy guy growing up in a sort of Ford family. First of all, in today's world its not to hard to find differing opinions. There are plenty of resources out there. You can find plenty of folks that put 300-500,000 miles on a truck of any year make and model. Conversely, there are also plenty of horror stories. I believe the key in all this is to find the vehicle with the best average.

Heres a little of my past experience with Chevy
98' 1500 Z71--Great truck, no problems to 200K
08 1500 Z71--Loved it, but it had over $10k in warranty work before 100K miles
08 Duramax 3/4 ton. Blew head gasket at 80k miles and ruined the motor (friends truck)
06 Duramax Injectors went bad at 120k miles and they are EXPENSIVE. (friends truck)
2014 1500 4x4---wasn't as comfortable as my 08' $15k in warranty work before 100K miles
2017 High Country 4x4--- had warranty work right off the bat.

I got tired of going to the shop and I've since switched to Ford because I believe them to be the company with the "best average" Time will tell. I wanted a diesel and wasn't all that impressed with Duramax. Cummins certainly run a long time but there were a lot of other factors about the dodge that I didn't like.

Side note: I know people bash the 6.0 Ford. They did have a bad batch of motors (The traced the issues all back to the same plant) but if you got a good one they were great. My neighbor has 350,000 miles on his 6.0, hasn't had a single issue with it and its still going strong.

Currently I drive a 2015 6.7 four door and absolutely love it. Haven't had any trouble and it has TONS of power.

I also think there's something to be said for LUCK. Call me crazy but there seems to be an intangible variable out there that you can't quite put your finger on. A little luck never hurts.

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I worked on Ford diesels from 1987 to 2015.Self employed from 2000 to 2015. I would suggest either a Hypermax or a Superchip style,the type where you download a specific program into your pcm. I think Bully Dog makes a selectable type,5 options on a rotary dial, but we had a lot of trouble with that type. The truck would intermittently die due to the pins loosening up where the programmer plugged into the PCM. Depending on the year model,99 and newer you might use a larger downpipe and a drop in K&N filter. Make sure the integrity of the air box is good,not cracked and both clamps work.Not a thing wrong with K&N filters as long as they are cleaned and reoiled per specs.97 and earlier power strokes were a pain to install the down pipe.

I have A 2000 7.3. Installed stage 2 s&b air ntake with k&n remai factory grand. Bully dog programmer but getting a do tuner with custom tunes 4 in down pipe and full 4 in exaust. Upgraded intercooler airdog2 fuel system and 250 with 100% nozzles love it just need a bigger turbo to finish the setup. Going to add the deep heat sink trans pan

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I used to be a pretty diehard Chevy guy growing up in a sort of Ford family. First of all, in today's world its not to hard to find differing opinions. There are plenty of resources out there. You can find plenty of folks that put 300-500,000 miles on a truck of any year make and model. Conversely, there are also plenty of horror stories. I believe the key in all this is to find the vehicle with the best average.

Heres a little of my past experience with Chevy
98' 1500 Z71--Great truck, no problems to 200K
08 1500 Z71--Loved it, but it had over $10k in warranty work before 100K miles
08 Duramax 3/4 ton. Blew head gasket at 80k miles and ruined the motor (friends truck)
06 Duramax Injectors went bad at 120k miles and they are EXPENSIVE. (friends truck)
2014 1500 4x4---wasn't as comfortable as my 08' $15k in warranty work before 100K miles
2017 High Country 4x4--- had warranty work right off the bat.

I got tired of going to the shop and I've since switched to Ford because I believe them to be the company with the "best average" Time will tell. I wanted a diesel and wasn't all that impressed with Duramax. Cummins certainly run a long time but there were a lot of other factors about the dodge that I didn't like.

Side note: I know people bash the 6.0 Ford. They did have a bad batch of motors (The traced the issues all back to the same plant) but if you got a good one they were great. My neighbor has 350,000 miles on his 6.0, hasn't had a single issue with it and its still going strong.

Currently I drive a 2015 6.7 four door and absolutely love it. Haven't had any trouble and it has TONS of power.

I also think there's something to be said for LUCK. Call me crazy but there seems to be an intangible variable out there that you can't quite put your finger on. A little luck never hurts.
Actually the 6.0 Powerstroke was not a Ford engine but a Navistar International engine which is why Ford built the 6.7 as a true Ford Diesel, too many problems that International was not fixing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Montecresto
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!