Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The 12 valve Cummins stopped production in Dodge pickups in 1998.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Montecresto I wouldn’t discount a 350 SRW. No matter what you do to a truck you can’t increase that government plate on the door. The 350 will have a higher rating than the 250 and it might save your butt someday. I think the gearing standards are different, and the brakes are different. The older 350 had different size axle tube/bearing/block setup than the 250. I’m sure there are other small differences. Something has to change to get that higher rating. Usually it’s a fraction of cost to upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@Montecresto I wouldn’t discount a 350 SRW. No matter what you do to a truck you can’t increase that government plate on the door. The 350 will have a higher rating than the 250 and it might save your butt someday. I think the gearing standards are different, and the brakes are different. The older 350 had different size axle tube/bearing/block setup than the 250. I’m sure there are other small differences. Something has to change to get that higher rating. Usually it’s a fraction of cost to upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good advice, thank you!!!

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is coming from someone who has never owned a diesel previously nor owns one now and is looking like you.
Does this all seem about right to you guys who know? Because this is the information I am basing my buying decisions off of...

I have been looking for a couple of years at the 12v/24v and Powerstrokes.
I have no allegiance to any of the big three BUT, I have bought my last GM product, I would burn one and claim insurance if it were given to me to save someone else the problem of owning it.
I have owned 3 full-size GM gassers from showroom in the last 20 years.
Chevy Customer service and engineering has soured me on the brand as a whole.
I bought the one I have now because I got it 20k less than I could get the Ford I was looking at, wish Id bought the Ford....
(8PM on New Years Eve they came off a LOT)

From what I have gathered people seem to generally agree (ignore the blatant fanboys) that the 12v is better than the 24v but its still a great solid motor and that the 7.3 and the 6.7 are the reliable power strokes. The 6.0 and 6.4 each have their possibly very expensive issues, but can be bulletproofed IF done correctly. I have read more complaints about the motors themselves than the transmissions if they are used normally. i.e.: Not 100% max tow all the time or abused.

I am seriously considering a 7.3 right now for what I would use it for, price range is right and capabilities are within what I need.
First off, what are you considering as high miles? 250k on a 7.3 is comparable to 100k on a gas truck. I wouldn’t even waste my time on a 6.0 or 6.4 truck. Most any of them are good if you leave the damn thing alone and drive it. Most people having issues are tuning the crap out of them and running them right to the ragged edge of what they can handle. CP is pushing what, 500k on a 12 valve Cummins. I’d trust one of those any day to get my ass across country. I personally don’t like Isuzu motors or the old GM 6.2/6.5. GM is still outsourcing their motors to Isuzu for the duramax, that’s my line in the sand. Not to mention Dodge and Ford have been light years ahead of Government motors for decades in fit and finish of the body and interiors. I have put miles on many 7.3, 6.7, and 6.7 Cummins trucks, and if I was to give my Honest opinion, I’d say go 7.3. The differences aren’t enough to justify a bullet proof 60k truck over a 6k bulletproof truck.

Reactions: joeymt33
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First off, what are you considering as high miles? 250k on a 7.3 is comparable to 100k on a gas truck. I wouldn’t even waste my time on a 6.0 or 6.4 truck. Most any of them are good if you leave the damn thing alone and drive it. Most people having issues are tuning the crap out of them and running them right to the ragged edge of what they can handle. CP is pushing what, 500k on a 12 valve Cummins. I’d trust one of those any day to get my ass across country. I personally don’t like Isuzu motors or the old GM 6.2/6.5. GM is still outsourcing their motors to Isuzu for the duramax, that’s my line in the sand. Not to mention Dodge and Ford have been light years ahead of Government motors for decades in fit and finish of the body and interiors. I have put miles on many 7.3, 6.7, and 6.7 Cummins trucks, and if I was to give my Honest opinion, I’d say go 7.3. The differences aren’t enough to justify a bullet proof 60k truck over a 6k bulletproof truck.

I don't know Ive put 375 and 214 on the two previous gassers I've had, but I owned them from the start and maintained them pretty well.
The second one I had started causing issues around 70 but I ended up with three motors (went out like clockwork around 50k)and a transmission under warranty and they carried a 60k warranty each. All that stretched its age because I put 149k on a 2011 Acura I bought. Just before the warranty on the Acura and the GM expired I sold them both to pay for the 2014 5.3 crew I've got now.

I will have a daily driver company car, so if I can find a 7.3 with under 200k and in good enough shape to hang onto for 5-10 years I'll be happy. (gave up on the 12v because apparently they are made of gold and are worth 25k with 750,000 miles on them around here)

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know Ive put 375 and 214 on the two previous gassers I've had, but I owned them from the start and maintained them pretty well.
The second one I had started causing issues around 70 but I ended up with three motors (went out like clockwork around 50k)and a transmission under warranty and they carried a 60k warranty each. All that stretched its age because I put 149k on a 2011 Acura I bought. Just before the warranty on the Acura and the GM expired I sold them both to pay for the 2014 5.3 crew I've got now.

I will have a daily driver company car, so if I can find a 7.3 with under 200k and in good enough shape to hang onto for 5-10 years I'll be happy. (gave up on the 12v because apparently they are made of gold and are worth 25k with 750,000 miles on them around here)
Yep, here too. That’s why “Mopar” went Ford for a truck, I refuse to pay for a name when the 7.3 is just as good of a motor.

Reactions: ohanacreek
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Looks like times a changing the f250 is gone and the f350 is in!

advertisement
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Are you going to be bringing that to mulberry?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You betcha it will be there. I don't know if the pioneer will fit on the back, but it will soon haha. less than 200,000 miles standard 7.3 with a flat bed its a sexy towing machine. Must have bigger injectors to from the response

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You betcha it will be there. I don't know if the pioneer will fit on the back, but it will soon haha. less than 200,000 miles standard 7.3 with a flat bed its a sexy towing machine. Must have bigger injectors to from the response
I wouldnt mind to have this one myself for my build.
01010 l1LUfUAbFck 1200x900
11' Flat Bed With Boxes

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The problem I have found around my area is that all the older 3/4 and 1 tons have HUGE amounts of miles on them. Most are warn out and still bring a premium price.
I have a cousin that bought a very low milege F250 with the 6.0 and spent the 3 to 4k on it to make it bulletproof. He swares by that truck now.
I don't get it? I can get 250,000 out of a gas burner, that I run the dog out of, the up keep is a LOT less than a diesel. Yet I see there are all kinds of fans for the diesels. The only way I would own another one, is if I could afford to trade before road side assistance expired! Had a 1980 Scout II with a Nissan turbo in line six (Gutless wonder) and a late 80's F350 Ford with the IH bread truck motor, the only thing I could count on was being stranded in cold weather, carried extra filters and fuel to prime filters, road side and all that crap, been there done that! I ran all the recommended fuel treatments and ran winter grade diesel. Never again will I own a diesel other than a tractor, back hoe and trac hoe! Why is it a Case back hoe will start without a block heater?

Reactions: Plumber32
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine will fit with enough room for coolers and anything else. 9’5” x 92”

6BEF48A1 DCCE 41F0 BEF8 AE9C8C9C1BE2

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't get it? I can get 250,000 out of a gas burner, that I run the dog out of, the up keep is a LOT less than a diesel. Yet I see there are all kinds of fans for the diesels. The only way I would own another one, is if I could afford to trade before road side assistance expired! Had a 1980 Scout II with a Nissan turbo in line six (Gutless wonder) and a late 80's F350 Ford with the IH bread truck motor, the only thing I could count on was being stranded in cold weather, carried extra filters and fuel to prime filters, road side and all that crap, been there done that! I ran all the recommended fuel treatments and ran winter grade diesel. Never again will I own a diesel other than a tractor, back hoe and trac hoe! Why is it a Case back hoe will start without a block heater?

Don't take this the wrong way Smitty but saying you won't ever buy another Diesel because yours from 30 years ago let you down would be like me saying I'll never own another Honda ATV because my 98 fourtrax 300 was too short on power. Times have changed. I saw plenty of gassers stranded on the side of the road when temps were below zero. This winter my truck started for 2 weeks straight in below zero temps all while it wasn't plugged in. Several times it started when it was 15-20 below zero with no heater. It will do it, but I'd much rather have my motor "warmer" when starting it. Its just good for the motor. I did the same with my gas vehicles.

There are a lot of diesel vehicles that hit the 350,000 - 500,000+ mile range. Not near as many gassers hit this range.
They will tow a heavy load far better than any gasser
They will get better fuel mileage while doing it

There are plenty of Pro's and Con's to be made about Diesel Vs. Gas just don't hold to tightly to the days of old. Today's vehicles are much different.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Don't take this the wrong way Smitty but saying you won't ever buy another Diesel because yours from 30 years ago let you down would be like me saying I'll never own another Honda ATV because my 98 fourtrax 300 was too short on power. Times have changed. I saw plenty of gassers stranded on the side of the road when temps were below zero. This winter my truck started for 2 weeks straight in below zero temps all while it wasn't plugged in. Several times it started when it was 15-20 below zero with no heater. It will do it, but I'd much rather have my motor "warmer" when starting it. Its just good for the motor. I did the same with my gas vehicles.

There are a lot of diesel vehicles that hit the 350,000 - 500,000+ mile range. Not near as many gassers hit this range.
They will tow a heavy load far better than any gasser
They will get better fuel mileage while doing it

There are plenty of Pro's and Con's to be made about Diesel Vs. Gas just don't hold to tightly to the days of old. Today's vehicles are much different.
I just hold a sludge for a while!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!