P500 What kind Of Gas do you run in your 500?

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you guys burn regular gas or do you use ethanol free. If you cannot find the Ethanol free can or will additives help? If you use regular gas predominantly, do you run it with a higher octane or just the 87 grades? Thank you!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Do you guys burn regular gas or do you use ethanol free. If you cannot find the Ethanol free can or will additives help? If you use regular gas predominantly, do you run it with a higher octane or just the 87 grades? Thank you!

Just regular 87, the premium is just wasting money. Burn Ethanol free if you can find it.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do additives help?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Premium in all our small engines. Honda technician told me here in Western Canada the methanol/ethanol will fall out of suspension and form a gel in bottom of tank that will suck up and plug fuel system. Told me this when I bought a 3000 watt Honda inverter and this can happen after 3 months of sitting. Premium is a better quality of fuel, I also use sea foam periodically in all our engine fuels for especially if I know they may sit unused of a while, like my Chainsaw. Also my 2 strokes run noticeably smoother with premium. Yamaha 15 hp outboard runs like a 4 stroke at idle with premium gas.... regular it will hardly idle.

j

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you guys and ladies familiar with this website? It has listings across the country and Canada or state by state, city by town and the stations that sell ethanol free gas.
Ethanol-free gas stations in NC I just chose NC because its where I live.

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
Premium runs cooler in small engines and I add startron additive because of the ethanol.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
If you run at high altitudes you don't need high octane gas.
Around our area, the premium is the only grade without ethanol. As little fuel as these machines take, another 40 cents or so a gallon definitely won't break the bank.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
My 40+ yrs of riding...
I've always put in fuel
...from the pump...in
my rides...never have
I had a fuel...problem...
just...sayin

D

Deleted member 3748

For me, it depends on how long the gas will be sitting in the machine. Today's crap gas has about a one month shelf life before it starts to get gummy and clog up the tiny jets of small engines. If I know I'll be going through a tank of gas in under a month I run standard 87. If it's something like a generator, or chainsaw, that may sit for a long time with fuel, I use recreation fuel, just in case I forget to drain the fuel when I'm done using it. Also, towards the end of the mowing season, or snow blowing season, I get 5 gallons of recreation fuel, add Seafoam to it, then run that until it's time to put the equipment away. Then I know whatever fuel is left in the tank is good for several months.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
My 40+ yrs of riding...
I've always put in fuel
...from the pump...in
my rides...never have
I had a fuel...problem...
just...sayin

Ethanol is still really bad stuff. It deteriorates any rubber products in the fuel system, also very hydrophilic, and we all know what moisture can do in a fuel system.

Reactions: Moose308
Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
Are you guys and ladies familiar with this website? It has listings across the country and Canada or state by state, city by town and the stations that sell ethanol free gas.
Ethanol-free gas stations in NC I just chose NC because its where I live.

Good website. I didnt know about it. Thanks and congrats on your new p5! :)

Reactions: 100Acre and trigger
idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Ethanol free.
If I have to run ethanol gas, I'll put in an additive that is suppose to keep ethanol deposits from forming.

idcwby

Reactions: 100Acre
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I've never put any gas in my 2015 500 except ethanol free, the only things I run ethanol containing gas in are my truck and the wife's car. Everything else, from the Pioneer 500 to my 200hp Evinrude outboard to chainsaws and lawn mowers, gets ethanol free and just in case the ethanol free ain't ethanol free, it all gets treated with Marine Stabil before it goes into anything.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Per the owners manual, regular 87 gas. New machines such as the pioneer 500 are designed to handle ethanol blended fuel up to 10 or 15 percent.

Old carbeurated engines, yes I would use ethanol free, but it's just a waste of money for a pioneer 500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Regardless of grade if the gasoline will not be used in a month or two add Stabil or other antioxidant. Ethanol belongs in charred oak barrels for 8-12 years and not in our gas tanks. Ethanol has less BTU/gallon than gasoline so the more ethanol the less MPG you get.

Ethanol will dissolve rubber in older fuel systems and it will absorb water and lead to fuel system corrosion. However all fuel systems now are designed to handle ethanol.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!