P1000 what octane you guys running?

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
The only useful purpose for higher octane fuel in any engine is to increase the resistance of engine knock. The higher the engine compression the higher octane required. The basic rule is whatever the manufacturer recommends for the design of their engine, is best. If you use any higher octane you just WASTING your money. Regular and premium fuel have pretty much the same amount of energy, the ONLY difference is when it ignites. As far as ethanol fuel, do yourself a favor and avoid it as much as possible. Whatever percentage of use is directly proportional to the amount of lost energy. The only good application for ethanol fuel is an extremely high-performance engine that is tuned especially for it. The benefit is in producing lower temperature fuel charge/mix.

Last edited:
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see it at work on a weekly bases of what ethanol with do to small engines and their carbs. In 3500w honda generators and stihl ms290 chainsaws. It blows me a away how fast the fuel can go bad and give you pluged jets or stuck floats. The ethanol actually draws the water out of the air. Causing it to go bad and turn to varnish.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AlR
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Totally agree with Ebkoz in #21. I run 87 unleaded in all my small motors including the P500 and quad. They don't run high enough compression to warrant the higher octane rating gas.
Al

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish everyone understood this. Irritated me when some numbnuts trust telling me he runs premium in his neon cuz it gives him 20 more HP...

Reactions: AZhunter and JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree with this statement for the most part is I also use 87 ethanol free right now. I buy barrel of it at a time to keep at home for the pioneer and other small engines but I have used 93 octane in the past. 93 octane is a waste for a lot of people and a lot of engines but there are other things other than high compression that warrant using it.

There are some vehicles today that have knock sensors as well as other sensors that can adjust for different fuels. The F-150 5.0 gains 8 horse power with just 93 poured in. That's not a very significant number at all but there is a difference.

Another thought, my EcoBoost F-150 manual says for best performance to use 91 octane or higher.

Then there is heat soak issues with pre-ignition. Towing heavy loads in the summer can really heat up an engine and power can be pulled back due to knock sensor readings.

IF you have custom ECU tuning, you can also benefit from higher octane.

To stay on topic, my belief is the pioneers won't benefit at all from using it.

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
Running regular in an engine designed for premium will cause a decrease in performance. The engine’s ignition ECU will sense knock and make adjustments (to a certain degree) that will cause the decrease. Fuels are even regionally blended differently. Also, in higher altitudes, the octane will be lower. Again, the amount energy in regular and premium is equal. Octane is a measurement of the chemical additive that prevents pre-ignition of the fuel. The most important thing that you can do (fuel wise) to improve/maintain the running condition of your engine is to use Top Tier fuel!

Home | Top Tier Gas

Modern fuels with a blend of ethanol will wreak havoc in small engines. The best way to help prevent problems is to ALWAYS use a fuel additive such as these;

Amazon.com: ISO-HEET 28202 Premium Fuel-line Antifreeze Water Remover and Injector Cleaner, 12 Fl oz.: Automotive

Amazon.com: STA-BIL 22264 360 Performance with Vapor Technology -10 oz.: Automotive

I ALWAYS use Sta-Bil and I have never had any issues. I paid too much for my Honda lawn mower and snow blower.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wish everyone understood this. Irritated me when some numbnuts trust telling me he runs premium in his neon cuz it gives him 20 more HP...
I hear this all the time at parts store. Guy thinks it gives his Vette more power. I'm like no, you gain the power you lost when it knocks and your pcm pulls timing.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Running regular in an engine designed for premium will cause a decrease in performance. The engine’s ignition ECU will sense knock and make adjustments (to a certain degree) that will cause the decrease. Fuels are even regionally blended differently. Also, in higher altitudes, the octane will be lower. Again, the amount energy in regular and premium is equal. Octane is a measurement of the chemical additive that causes the fuel to burn at a different rate. The most important thing that you can do (fuel wise) to improve/maintain the running condition of your engine is to use Top Tier fuel!

Home | Top Tier Gas

Modern fuels with a blend of ethanol will wreak havoc in small engines. The best way to help prevent problems is to ALWAYS use a fuel additive such as these;

Amazon.com: ISO-HEET 28202 Premium Fuel-line Antifreeze Water Remover and Injector Cleaner, 12 Fl oz.: Automotive

Amazon.com: STA-BIL 22264 360 Performance with Vapor Technology -10 oz.: Automotive

I ALWAYS use Sta-Bil and I have never had any issues. I paid too much for my Honda lawn mower and snow blower.
Sta-bil user here also. Especially the machines that sit during winter months. They start up perfectly in the spring.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I like the marine Stabil. Now I just can't remember why I chose it over regular. I use it constantly.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My Neon gained lil more than 20hp (more like 100) but wasn't due to running 93. Might be the td04 lol.
IMG 20161024 125421595 800x450

advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, sorry about the neon jab, was just the first car I saw sitting at the stop light next to me.
Nah man we good. They've been the butt of many a joke and that suits me just fine. I feed off that lol.

Reactions: moparornocar
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nah man we good. They've been the butt of many a joke and that suits me just fine. I feed off that lol.
I may pick your brains on general turbo knowledge in the future. Been toying with a hairdryer for the Durango

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I may pick your brains on general turbo knowledge in the future. Been toying with a hairdryer for the Durango
Something that new probably has a kit out there somewhere. Building one from scratch is a pain. I got lucky since alot of stuff off the SRT4 works on mine.

mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
funny I just saw this thread after posting about octane in the cold start thread after some said they run "high test" in all of their ATVs... I'll post the gist of it here, though...

Whomever came up with the term "premium" for high octane fuel should be drawn and quartered. So many people have it in their heads that "premium" gas means it's somehow better for their regular old jalopy or outdoor toy. It's a waste of money unless specifically recommended by the engine manufacturer due to compression ratio and/or ignition timing. I don't like the description of "burns at a different rate" to explain high octane. Octane rating is merely the fuel's ability to resist pre-ignition detonation (knock).
The term "premium" SHOULD be used for non-ethanol fuel, but sadly that's not the case.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
funny I just saw this thread after posting about octane in the cold start thread after some said they run "high test" in all of their ATVs... I'll post the gist of it here, though...

Whomever came up with the term "premium" for high octane fuel should be drawn and quartered. So many people have it in their heads that "premium" gas means it's somehow better for their regular old jalopy or outdoor toy. It's a waste of money unless specifically recommended by the engine manufacturer due to compression ratio and/or ignition timing. I don't like the description of "burns at a different rate" to explain high octane. Octane rating is merely the fuel's ability to resist pre-ignition detonation (knock).
The term "premium" SHOULD be used for non-ethanol fuel, but sadly that's not the case.

I completely agree! Thank you.

Also, I agree that it doesn't burn at a diff rate. There have been studies on that.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

100% agree, except one part, gasoline's octane rating is indeed a measure of its resistance to pre ignition/ detonation. What makes it resistant however is the fact that it is slower to ignite.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
right.. but slower to ignite doesn't necessarily mean slower "burn rate".

True dat, it won't spontaneously combust as easily due to heat and compression like the lower grade fuel.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run 87 in mine most times. As somebody mentioned, it doesn't stay in tank long enough to hurt anything lol. I use pure gas in all my power equipment. They all have rubber fuel lines that will deteriorate not to mention the primer bulbs. I wish we had E85 readily available around here. Turbo engines love it. More boost and less timing pulled.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!