moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Unfortunately most of the gas around here is 10% moonshine. But it never stays in there more than a week anyway.

Reactions: Plumber32
J

JTW

I run 87 in mine most times. As somebody mentioned, it doesn't stay in tank long enough to hurt anything lol. I use pure gas in all my power equipment. They all have rubber fuel lines that will deteriorate not to mention the primer bulbs. I wish we had E85 readily available around here. Turbo engines love it. More boost and less timing pulled.
@Delton @joeymt33 is that also true for our ecoboost motors?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Delton @joeymt33 is that also true for our ecoboost motors?
They have to be set up to run E85. Running it in one not setup will fry it. It'll run super lean. Requires different map and bigger injectors.

Reactions: joeymt33 and JTW
J

JTW

They have to be set up to run E85. Running it in one not setup will fry it. It'll run super lean. Requires different map and bigger injectors.
IMG 2871

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check the individual manual Wife's Explorer EcoBoost doesn't accept it. Actually recommended 10% or less Ethanol
I've seen vehicles with an E85 badge on them. Not sure about Ford.

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
funny I just saw this thread after posting about octane in the cold start thread after some said they run "high test" in all of their ATVs... I'll post the gist of it here, though...

Whomever came up with the term "premium" for high octane fuel should be drawn and quartered. So many people have it in their heads that "premium" gas means it's somehow better for their regular old jalopy or outdoor toy. It's a waste of money unless specifically recommended by the engine manufacturer due to compression ratio and/or ignition timing. I don't like the description of "burns at a different rate" to explain high octane. Octane rating is merely the fuel's ability to resist pre-ignition detonation (knock).
The term "premium" SHOULD be used for non-ethanol fuel, but sadly that's not the case.
I stand corrected about rate of burn, thanks.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fe0d97da6479065e14d298efeb2357cc

Filler on 2015 Explorer Sport EBoost

Manual says 10% or less.
Definitely no E85. You wouldn't see any gains running it on a stock setup anyways.

A

arizonasteeler

Mar 23, 2016
mesa arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've seen vehicles with an E85 badge on them. Not sure about Ford.
Ford's newer normally aspirated engine's can run E85 but the eco boost can not, also my eco boost owners manual says 91 octane will give it a little more performance for towing but it wasn't noticeable to me pulling my P3 maybe a 10,000 pound trailer load may see the effect.

advertisement
BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
I always run 93 octane. Not about fuel efficiency or power but to avoid detonation. I believe these are ( I may be wrong) 10-1 compression ratio engines much less w/ the hot air it inhales here in Texas. From my dirt bike days have seen some damage from such, I can at least hear the pinging in a car or truck but no way on any of my ATVs. Maybe acting on the paranoid side but for sure on the safe side. Only addition to this is I only buy from "Top Tier" rated fuel stations, no question or need for additives from Top Tier fuels as I understand.
Just my 2-cents worth..............................

Reactions: GPR1500SC
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I run 93 octane in all of my gas burning motors because it's the only way that I can get non-ethanol fuel delivered here. With our winters with some of the huge temperature swings, I had my 300 gallon tank separate with ethanol laced fuel and it cost me a set of injectors for my daughter and my wife's cars. Never again. 93 octane ethanol free forever.

Peking_Duck

Peking_Duck

Jul 30, 2016
Clifton Forge, Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
93 octane here....non ethanol is available across town...just too lazy to go get it....no problems yet, been running it in all of my small engines for years.. but I do store everything properly. I'm always running the Pioneer, so I'm not too worried about it...

Reactions: Smitty335
J

JTW

My mechanic & service manager told me ethanol fuel starts going bad in just a few weeks, they see it all the time with machines coming in with carb problems here in southern Arizona. Since I almost have too many toys, and some might sit idle for 2 to 4 months, they suggested, and I have used for years the fuel stabilizer StarTron in all my gas except for full size road vehicles. Star Tron description...
"Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment is a multifunctional fuel additive which uses a unique enzyme technology that allows all engines to start easily and run smoothly, even when using ethanol-blended fuel or after sitting idle for months. Star Tron allows fuel to burn more completely, which results in maximum performance, fuel efficiency and reliable operation. Star Tron will stabilize fuel for up to two years, preventing the formation of gums and other solids that clog carburetors and fuel injectors. Star Tron helps prevent phase separation by dispersing water throughout fuel as submicron-sized droplets that can be safely eliminated while the engine operates. Star Tron Small Engine formula is ideal for use in all gas engines including; boats, cars, trucks, motorcycles, small equipment as well as engines that use pre-mix fuel"
Quicksilver has a good ethanol treatment as well

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Just curious how many cents per gallon does it cost to treat the fuel in comparison to just avoiding it?

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Only way I can get ethanol free is 93 octane.
I use it in my small engines.

I think my 2019 p700 fouls plugs using 93 octane. Less than a tank of 93 octane on this plug and I don't idle much and keep the RPMS up. I really wish I could find 87 octane non ethanol around here.

PXL 20201206 144218889

Reactions: Mudwing and 100Acre
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!