What Polaris owners think of the new 1000

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
Ranger has active hill decent and a couple new SE models. Rzr's big news is a turbo charged 925cc that makes 144hp and all models come with fox internal bypass shocks and a 1 year warranty. Lets hope Honda will keep there prices under Polaris's ranger models and life will be good.

IDK about you but as long as they keep them close (<$1000) I'd rather go with the Honda. A little up front is worth it to avoid some of the running expense down the road.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ranger has active hill decent and a couple new SE models. Rzr's big news is a turbo charged 925cc that makes 144hp and all models come with fox internal bypass shocks and a 1 year warranty. Lets hope Honda will keep there prices under Polaris's ranger models and life will be good.
Active hill decent? I am guessing that holds you back from running off a hill to fast? P1000 has LO-Range so that should take care of that problem.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club @Kyle !! Glad to have ya!

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Um yeah even the p5 has engine breaking your turn to play catch up polaris but @ksss thinks they are ahead of the game because they are fast and break everyother ride lmfao i think thats an amazing way to spend 20k sitting in the shop spending more money hahahah honda fans are such idiots

Reactions: p500fan
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Um yeah even the p5 has engine breaking your turn to play catch up polaris but @ksss thinks they are ahead of the game because they are fast and break everyother ride lmfao i think thats an amazing way to spend 20k sitting in the shop spending more money hahahah honda fans are such idiots

You hitting the apple pie shine early again? You meant another manufactures name there didn't you?

Reactions: catman
I

Interceptor

Jul 14, 2015
Active hill decent? I am guessing that holds you back from running off a hill to fast? P1000 has LO-Range so that should take care of that problem.
It has nothing to do with low range, all of the Rangers have low range. The active descent control, at least the way it's been implemented in other Polaris ATVs, is a solution to a problem that Hondas don't have.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
@JACKAL no lol me and
@ksss have a little heated friendly forum debate thing going on :)

advertisement
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
But i love all riders the same we all play the same game just different teams :)

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
And there should be sarcastic font for the honda fan part lmfao

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
It has nothing to do with low range, all of the Rangers have low range. The active descent control, at least the way it's been implemented in other Polaris ATVs, is a solution to a problem that Hondas don't have.
..... of maintaining a slow constant speed while descending.

I would think it would be a system in place to maintain an engaged clutch with depending forward movement, without throttle input from the user.

Kinda like my wife's jeep. It will go up and down a hill without pushing the gas or break. Kinda cool.

I

Interceptor

Jul 14, 2015
..... of maintaining a slow constant speed while descending.

I would think it would be a system in place to maintain an engaged clutch with depending forward movement, without throttle input from the user.

Kinda like my wife's jeep. It will go up and down a hill without pushing the gas or break. Kinda cool.

It's more than that. Because of the way Polaris AWD works, there is no engine braking to the front wheels, ever. When going down a hill most of the weight (and traction) is transferred to the front tires. When you let off the throttle to slow down the front axle disengages and the front tires free-wheel, you get engine braking to the rear tires and they skid out of control. In simpler terms, you do not have 4WD unless you are on the throttle. I don't know all the details of the system or if they are using the same system on these new Rangers, but on the Sportsmans it was designed to keep the front axle engaged when going down a hill as well as keeping the clutch engaged.

Reactions: sthomp54
I

Interceptor

Jul 14, 2015
Awd or 4wd???? Different creatures my friend
Really, you want to quibble over acronyms? Polaris calls theirs AWD. I do realize that each has it's own very generalized definition, and I know the differences between the two. Polaris AWD is very different from what most people know as AWD (automotive), and it would just as well fit the definition of 4WD (it is selectable and has low range). The point I was trying to make is that all four wheels are never driven unless throttle is applied, in fact the front wheels are never being driven unless the rears are spinning. It's a good system for sport machines where you want to hang the ass end out and still have the front pulling you through a corner, and for the convenience of the switch to engage it. Where it falls short for me is for utility. Think about driving up a steep grass slope where 2WD isn't enough. With a Ranger in AWD the front wheels will not engage until the rears have already started spinning and done turf damage. That's my lawn, and I use the UTV on my lawn to do yard work. I also have one trail on my property where depending on moisture and leaf cover, the Ranger will either climb the hill steadily with the front tires pulling and the rear tires spinning the whole way, or it will be jerky as traction goes back and forth from front to rear. In either case it creates ruts that channel runoff and washout across my driveway. I previously had a UTV with a real four wheel drive system, it would handle both of these situations without any wheel spin. There are Ranger owners, and I would bet most of them, who have never experienced these problems and don't even understand what I'm describing because they don't use them in the same way I do or they just don't care about spinning the tires everywhere they go. But this problem, plus the lack of front wheel engine braking on descent, jerky clutch/belt engagement, hard shifting, and other minor annoyances is what has me here waiting for the Pioneer 1000. I would already own a 700 if they had put a rear differential in it.

Reactions: jak9922
advertisement