• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon What pricing are you getting quoted/paying for Talon?

Discussion in 'Buying a Honda Talon' started by Vondy, Jan 8, 2019.

1. dnjones161

dnjones161 Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Prenger?

Vondy likes this.
  2. Vondy

Vondy Formerly JeepHD
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    500, Talon X
    Yes. Paid what I feel was fair price and I know I’ll get good service. Also convenient since I drive by daily on way to work. Could have saved some thru some big dealers far away, but prefer to buy local and know I’ll get support after sale.

Where are you you from that you are familiar with them?

#22 Vondy, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    JTW, Plumber32, TimG and 1 other person like this.
  3. 1Ron

1Ron Active Member

Ownership:
    Other Brand
    Great price on a model that has more demand than current supply. I’m getting the same machine with the lower doors, rear trailing arm guards, half windshield and maybe some bags. Since they have been building them for at least a month have to wonder if those dates aren’t conservative. Why would they sit on a bunch of sold inventory?

TimG and Vondy like this.
  4. BigOL3

BigOL3 Well-Known Member

Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
    Ownership:
    1000-5
    I just checked with Brookhaven Honda ...... They expect to have the first 2 in to be used as DEMOS by mid March, possibly within 2 weeks. Then have some to sell by April. At this time they think the X will sell for less than $18K and the R for about $900 more. Pricing will change with factory incentives.

Brookhaven price will be nearly impossible to beat and only a FEW dealers will match them.

#1 in USA ......
    Brookhaven Honda is located in Brookhaven, MS. Shop our large online inventory.

#24 BigOL3, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    TimBunique, JTW, Mopower58 and 2 others like this.
  5. Vondy

Vondy Formerly JeepHD
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    500, Talon X
    In fairness to the dealers, I believe they want them all to receive their first few around the same time. But it does seem excessive. Wonder how many they build a day and how many they will have stockpiled.

My dealer was alotted 3 to start with, 2 in April, and 1 in March. My understanding was the orders would be filled as available after the original allotment.

TimG likes this.
  6. Vondy

Vondy Formerly JeepHD
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    500, Talon X

Awesome price if your close, but it's done and still rather support local and save a 13hr drive each way. You'd think they could spell Talon right on their web page "Tallon".

TimG and dnjones161 like this.
  7. dnjones161

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Lol I'm from Sidney, only familiar with them because you told me about them on here!

I had driven by, but never knew they sold recreational stuff. I got a price on a leftover p500 from them last week- still a grand over what everyone else is rolling them for, but like you mentioned, something to be said for buying local.

TimG and Vondy like this.
  8. Vondy

Vondy Formerly JeepHD
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    500, Talon X
    $1000 more on a P500 does sound high. If you have a comparable semi-local quote, I'd take it to him and make an offer. I did notice his pioneer supply was way lower than it was a month ago. There was a pretty red P500 that caught my eye still sitting there.

I tried talking to Honda in Troy several times. They never would give me a price on a Talon other than "What are you willing to pay" or "What would it take to put you in one". I told them they were the ones selling, they needed to set a price. Never did get a straight answer so I gave up with them. Didn't like their sales approach at all.

dnjones161 likes this.
  9. BigOL3

BigOL3 Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Oh I am close, bought my P1K5 there only 1.5 yrs ago, so I am not in the market. I would LOVE to have one, but even if I was 'ready', I don't like to buy anything in its 'virgin' yrs ..... lol.

Vondy and CumminsPusher like this.
  10. dnjones161

Ownership:
    1000-5
    I tried to buy my 1000 from Honda of Troy and had the exact same experience. Told them look, you are the closest I would really like to deal with you, but I can't feel like you're stroking me. Wouldn't quote me anything but MSRP plus every fee imaginable and asked me to bring them other people's numbers and they would see what they could do.

Im not into that at all. If I ask you for your best price, I expect you to give it to me. I'm not wasting someone else's time finding you a selling price. I gave them a shot anyhow and they wouldn't come within a grand of one of the Columbus area dealers so I went that route. Hate it- I know (loosely) the owner and his son (head mechanic) Blake from wrestling in high school. I still order parts from them, really wish I could buy a machine down there.

To their credit Blake has been super helpful with warranty questions, and we have bought parts from Steve Gordon forever. Hell, Dave (the owner) is a super nice guy too, but I agree the sales tactics they are running with are not my taste. Been there a few years tho, someone must be into it!

Vondy and CumminsPusher like this.
  11. BigOL3

BigOL3 Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    When any dealer does that stupid crap of trying to 'turn it around on me', to give them a price I am willing to pay ...... I will play that game. Give them a price you know is waaaay less than is possible. Well you asked, I told you ....... NOW, what is your price.

CumminsPusher, Vondy and dnjones161 like this.
  12. dnjones161

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Lol yea I hear ya. Some guys are volume, some guys would rather just sell a few and make a little more on each unit. Of course as the consumer I prefer the former, but I understand both approaches.

Agree with you tho, what I don't like is the unwillingness to give me a price- I shouldn't have to shop around to hear your price. If it's not the best it's not the best, but at least give me a number. I told multiple dealers when they told me "if someone beats that let us know and we'll see what we can do" that was NOT how I was shopping. Everybody has to make a profit, but I'm not shopping for the sport of it- I want to ride for the sport of it!

Some people like that back and forth though. All about reading your buyer. Maybe we are hard reads!

CumminsPusher, BigOL3 and Vondy like this.
  13. 1Ron

1Ron Active Member

Ownership:
    Other Brand
    Some of the Dealers approach might be relative to how competitive the market. I’ve noticed in larger markets there are almost always better discounts but then there are also higher sales volumes. Some manufacturers offer kickbacks based on sales volumes or sales targets.
    That said a dealer should sit down with the customer and offer his best price. When they say “come back if someone has a better price” they are the same as saying that they can do better. Some dealers are concerned that if they offer a price then the customer will use it to get a better price at another dealer. They should offer a local customer a Fair Price and not worry about cross shoppers, IMO. I know that I can always get a lower price if I shop enough dealers but will pay a little more to a Dealer with good Parts & Service support that is local.

14. DRKnight

DRKnight Member
    Supporting Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    CumminsPusher, 500oneer and Vondy like this.
  15. HondaProKevin

HondaProKevin Active Member

Yes. Yes and yes 100% ;)

16. HondaProKevin

As always, good info...

Just wanted to add a quick note though for others that may not be on top of it all. Don't forget that when figuring percentages of a discount on one model versus another that you have to take into account Honda's dealer debates, incentives etc that may be on model A but not model B. 99.99% of the time, without those incentives, it's impossible to discount one 15%+ without losing money.

17. wrighteous

wrighteous Active Member

Buying mine from this guy ^ ;)

Vondy and HondaProKevin like this.
  18. HondaProKevin

Heeeey bud! Small world, didn't know you were on here.

We're getting close... woo wooo!

JACKAL and Vondy like this.
  19. BigOL3

BigOL3 Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    1000X out he door for $22,812.91 ............. I would be OUT THE DOOR!

AdamMS and Vondy like this.
  20. DRKnight

DRKnight Member
    Supporting Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    Vondy likes this.