280 @ 450

Thanx for continuing to help me out.

Reactions: Mudder
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I feel uncomfortable with it, but I and a lot of others, and a lot of Jeepers, don't use a fuse or breaker on the winch line...

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I have a 185 amp breaker. Thought being I rather trip the breaker as a clue to use a snatch block and avoid overheating a winch motor running at max amps. It has never tripped yet. On a side note, after three years, the breaker has started to trip periodically, without any winch use, just radio and PS (straight line driving). Hit the reset and it works ok for another few weeks. Maybe age related issue?

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I phoned WARN and a tech said that it is fine to have no protection so that is what I have. Like 70Bones stated I am uncomfortable with it. The fuse/breaker is there to protect the wiring from overheating. Intermittent usage is unlikely to overheat any reasonably sized wire , but a direct short between ground and the positive would probably start a fire if it is not protected. I will probably install a 300a breaker as close to the battery as possible. This will trip if the + cable makes contact with ground due to damage or abrasion but will not result in a nuisance trip when I am using it at its maximum capacity.

Until I buy and install such as breaker I am making sure that my insurance is in effect.

Reactions: GrnP500 and Mudder
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I have a 185 amp breaker. Thought being I rather trip the breaker as a clue to use a snatch block and avoid overheating a winch motor running at max amps. It has never tripped yet. On a side note, after three years, the breaker has started to trip periodically, without any winch use, just radio and PS (straight line driving). Hit the reset and it works ok for another few weeks. Maybe age related issue?
All circuit breakers, whether DC, or AC as in your home panel, degrade with each use, and will trip at a lower amperage than rated for with a bunch of operations.

Reactions: Mudder and Mudwing
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I have direct wired for now. will order a 300 amp for later.

looking forward to opening the battery box again and fighting the posts ... not.

unable to posts pics from my phone now for some reason.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Saw a bunch on Amazon, ordered a 200 amp.

R

Rick53

Dec 11, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run master disconnect switches on all my winches just because a fire or battery explosion isn't nice. I have been running a 300 amp switch on a 9,000 pound winch since 1981 without a problem. They run from about 25 to 50 bucks on amazon and are probably not needed, but give you added safe just encase something goes wrong. A 180 amp switch is overkill for a 4,500 pound winch.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!