P1000 What size screws for dash panel

N

Nvrgiveup

For those of you who removed the “You’re Fixin To Die” label and installed a switch panel with screws instead of rivets, what size screws did you use? Yesterday, I bought a lil box of #10 screws and another box of #10 x 1/2” bolts and nuts. Well, that was money wasted.
By the time I get finished with this project, I should be able to build a small engine with all the wrong stuff I bought and all the nuts that slipped outta my hands and ended up sitting on top of the dang skid plates.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine has little dinky screws with nuts on the back side, and they're a pain in the ass. They were done that way by the previous owner.

I've been thinking next time I have to get in there, I'm going to replace them with plastic pushpin rivets (If I have room.)

The good news, though, is that I put my bank of switches in with the 6-bank switch insert from otrattw. That way, I only had to cut one hole, I have extra switch bays ready (with caps over them until I use them) and I can access all switches by pulling the bay out from the front.

Reactions: Lady01
N

Nvrgiveup

Yes sir, I looked at the push pin rivets but there ain’t much too them. I’ve debated about just using rivets instead of screws but I don’t really wanna drill them out when I add more switches.
I actually got TWO switch panels. The first was a cheap, flimsy, poorly made one from PBR products. I got ahold of @mystic1219 from this forum and ordered on of his. MUCH BETTER switch plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I use rivet nuts and the stainless Allen head bolts that came with my rock lights. Anything with a nut on the back sucks when you need take the panel out for some reason.

Reactions: Lady01 and Cely1932
mystic1219

mystic1219

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 3, 2015
Yes sir, I looked at the push pin rivets but there ain’t much too them. I’ve debated about just using rivets instead of screws but I don’t really wanna drill them out when I add more switches.
I actually got TWO switch panels. The first was a cheap, flimsy, poorly made one from PBR products. I got ahold of @mystic1219 from this forum and ordered on of his. MUCH BETTER switch plate.

I use 1/8” rivets and send them out with all of my panels. I’ve drilled mine out multiple times to add accessories and it’s super easy.
I used to use machine screws. You need to place a small child under the hood to hold the nuts on the back side if you go that route. Ask me how I know ;)

N

Nvrgiveup

I use 1/8” rivets and send them out with all of my panels. I’ve drilled mine out multiple times to add accessories and it’s super easy.
I used to use machine screws. You need to place a small child under the hood to hold the nuts on the back side if you go that route. Ask me how I know ;)

I smell what you’re stepping in. My fat fingers are pretty useless when finagling small nuts, bolts and washers. I’m used to using them to work with small things, so you’d think I’d be better at it by now! 😂🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Lady01 and Coeus
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really think the plastic pushpin rivets would be sufficient. We're all guilty of over engineering things at times. Just look around your Pioneer at how many things are held together with these things.

Use good quality ones with a proper fit and they're more than enough for that panel. I'll see if I can do mine this Spring when I get it out of storage.

brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Little Rock, AR & Crawford, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There are rivet nuts that are made specific for plastics. I found a link on here for when I replaced that panel

Scroll down to

Rivet Nuts for Plastic and Composites​

I used the 10-24 rivet nuts - 97217A361. Buy a few extras, practice in some of the donor material you cut out - finding the right sized hole to drill, I'd want it pretty snug before you collapse the rivet nut.

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I couldn’t get the rivet nuts to hold/grip onto the plastic… got any tips?

Yes, don't crank them down hard, just turn tighten them enough to hold, (otherwise the riv-nut will just over enlarge the plastic hole and lose the "length" of it's normal grip range. I use #6 (pretty sure) round head black finish screws. Drill existing holes for the riv-nuts first, then sharpen either a length of threaded rod, or the head of a screw, and screw it into the hole so it barely protruded. Push the panel in place and this will give you a small dimple so you know where to drill the hole in the panel. I did a post on all this a few month back.

20210826 203158
20210826 210127
20211217 210936

advertisement
N

Nvrgiveup

Thanks for all the info, fellers. I decided to go with 1/8” rivets that are also 1/8” deep. By the time I get finished cussing and hollering when trying to get my hand up in the engine compartment to unscrew boots or nuts, I figure I could have all 6 rivets drilled out and replaced. Fixin to slice a big fat hole in this dash.
Image 2022 02 05 124436 564

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I will be doing my dash and switches this spring.
Researching, and found these that I think would be better then then rivet nuts.
Has anyone used them before?
If not, guess I will let you know after it warms up. haha
Have a good day

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
those are pretty cool. Expensive little suckers, tho
Have a good day

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have a good day
Those are 1/4-20 . . . by the time you get 'em installed there won't be any panel space left to mount anything, Okay, exaggerating, but 1/4" fasteners are a bit overkill unless you are using plastic rivets. Take another look at the small #6 screws in my previous post, they fasten the panel just fine, tightening the screws a few inch pounds.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really think the plastic pushpin rivets would be sufficient. We're all guilty of over engineering things at times. Just look around your Pioneer at how many things are held together with these things.

Use good quality ones with a proper fit and they're more than enough for that panel. I'll see if I can do mine this Spring when I get it out of storage.
I agree. A quick search found that a #6 machine screw has a tensile strength of 550 pounds. A 1/4 20 bolt is over 1000 pounds.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you decide to use #6 black (stainless steel) screws, these are 3/4" long and just about perfect - I had to do some looking to find them. You'll need 6-32 rivet nuts too. I already had a couple of riv-nut tools, though they can be installed without the tool, using a screw, washer and nut (though it's a bit klutzy, it's doable).

Screws

advertisement