What size trailer?

E

eolesen

Oct 29, 2023
People's Republic of Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
We're picking up a new 700-4 next week...

I've read here that a 5x8 is too small because of the width. Would a 6x10 be enough trailer to balance 60/40 or should I be looking for a 6x12?

20231104 104406

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I've read here that a 5x8 is too small because of the width. Would a 6x10 be enough trailer to balance 60/40 or should I be looking for a 6x12?

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
I believe 6x10 fits but not much room to adjust your tongue weight. You’re also not really taking any extra gear with you on the trailer. If you’re buying one and you have the room to store the 12’ then I’d say that is the better choice. Not often someone says I wish I bought a smaller trailer.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
6x10 is minamal I would get.

Welcome from Michigan.
Need to post pics of your rig. Its Rule#4 whenyou first post/join.
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

E

eolesen

Oct 29, 2023
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks, 6x10 is what I thought, but really wish I could manage to make it work with 5x8 because then we could try to tow it with my wife's CRV. That would be about 100 to 150 lb over the published max for the CRV, but then we could take the trailer and the 700 when we go places.

We have a 29 ft bumper pull trailer, and something tells me that trying to get a 1700 lb load on the back of that and doing a double tow will really be pushing limits.

Last edited:
B

bartruff

Oct 2, 2017
Wenatchee, WA
Ownership

1. Big Red
I have a 7x16 tilt dual axel trailer because my 700 Pioneer has Camso Snow Tracks and a snow push blade that makes it a foot or so wider and a couple feet longer and about 350 pounds heavier ......a 14' tilt trailer would have worked but the 16' will also haul a car and was $6500 .... only a couple thousand more than the 14' tilt I was considering. I need a car hauler and did not want two trailers to store.

Size matters.... but the downside of a larger tailer is that it is difficult to maneuver by hand even with a dolly...... aluminum solves a lot the weight problems but at a cost that I am not willing to pay.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks, 6x10 is what I thought, but really wish I could manage to make it work with 5x8 because then we could try to tow it with my wife's CRV. That would be about $100 to 150 lb over the published max for the CRV, but then we could take the trailer and the 700 when we go places.

We have a 29 ft bumper pull trailer, and something tells me that trying to get a 1700 lb load on the back of that and doing a double tow will really be pushing limits.
All this with a CRV! Your crazy!
Dont you have a truck of some sort?
Also, never tow something to your max towing, always tow under it or youll be replacing something sooner than later

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Cant do that either! Not with a travel trailer. With a 5th wheel yes in some states but I wouldnt. Chexk with your state regs.
But deff not with a CRV :eek:

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
This is a disaster waiting to happen. Towing a 29' travel trailer with a Honda CR/V might work to move a trailer a short distance at very low speeds but it would be a classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

Adding a small utility trailer with a SxS behind the travel trailer would be illegal in most jurisdictions and a very foolish and dangerous thing to do.

If you insist on doing such a thing please leave your family at home.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is a disaster waiting to happen. Towing a 29' travel trailer with a Honda CR/V might work to move a trailer a short distance at very low speeds but it would be a classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

Adding a small utility trailer with a SxS behind the travel trailer would be illegal in most jurisdictions and a very foolish and dangerous thing to do.

Could be wrong but I think he just wants to tow the pioneer with the CRV. I'm thinking he has a different tow vehicle for the travel trailer

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
🤔.....I don't think you guys understand, it all depends on how big a tire he run on that CRV. If he's towing a 29' bumper pull with stockers imagine what he could pull with 35s..........😬

E

eolesen

Oct 29, 2023
Ownership

1. 700-4
Uh.... I've been towing for 20 years.....

I never said I was towing the camper with a CRV. I said I was trying to avoid a double tow by using the CRV to pull the SxS.

The max towing as published is conservative on paper, and being over by 20% isn't automatically a deathmobile.

1850 lbs with brakes and spring bars would be manageable, but too much length would be the tail wagging the dog.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV

He's not towing a 29' trailer with a CRV. He's not planning on towing the 6'x10' trailer with it, either. He was only saying he wished he could make due with a 5'x8' trailer because he MIGHT try to two THAT with a CRV. Personally, I wouldn't try to tow a 1,500# SXS on a trailer of any size behind a CRV, but that's just me. Max towing capacity for the CRV is somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000 pounds, depending upon year and trim. Hell, that's not much more towing capacity of the 700-4 itself -- 1,500# !!! The SXS weighs nearly 1,500 itself BEFORE adding the weight of the trailer or anything else.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Uh.... I've been towing for 20 years.....

I never said I was towing the camper with a CRV. I said I was trying to avoid a double tow by using the CRV to pull the SxS.

The max towing as published is conservative on paper, and being over by 20% isn't automatically a deathmobile.

1850 lbs with brakes and spring bars would be manageable, but too much length would be the tail wagging the dog.
A CRV is marginally capable of towing a small utility trailer empty but adding a Honda P700 would be grossly overloaded and unsafe.

Reactions: Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!