HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Since we are already on the subject of towing... What size trailer would I need for my Mini Cooper to tow my P500? The Mini Cooper is red if it helps. ;)

The same as for the CRV: You could rattle can spray it red.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yeah, I've heard similar lines like that from the Weight Police in the RV'ing forums for the past 20 years. Not once have I ever heard an actual example of it happening. You'd think there'd be at least one poor soul who would have come forward in all that time....

Insurance companies pay out most claims for damage done by drunk drivers (being drunk by itself is not intent to cause an accident)
They pay out claims for people who wreck their cars speeding (again... intent)

They pay out damage claims for people driving 20mph faster than the speed rating of their tires who then have blowouts that destroy the underside of their RV...

What makes you think they're going to spend any time digging into the weight of a trailer if there's a wreck?

You are correct.

The website claim that an insurance company won't pay a claim if the insured is towing an overweight trailer is the oldest false claim on the web.

Insurance companies cannot deny such a claim. The company can refuse to renew a policy when it expires. Insurance companies are subject to approval by a regulating agency in every state in order to sell insurance in that state and that agency oversees performance of the insurance company. Insurance companies have to comply with rules set by that agency.

Insurance companies are more worried about their public reputation than most of us realize. People listen to opinions and the experiences of friends, relatives, neighbors, and co-workers when choosing an insurance company.

I spent a miserable year as an adjuster for a major insurance company. I was appalled by the claims my company paid after i recommended denial. The insurance company figures the good will they earn or the bad reputation they avoid is worth more than all the pricey television advertising.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yeah, I've heard similar lines like that from the Weight Police in the RV'ing forums for the past 20 years. Not once have I ever heard an actual example of it happening. You'd think there'd be at least one poor soul who would have come forward in all that time....

Insurance companies pay out most claims for damage done by drunk drivers (being drunk by itself is not intent to cause an accident)
They pay out claims for people who wreck their cars speeding (again... intent)

They pay out damage claims for people driving 20mph faster than the speed rating of their tires who then have blowouts that destroy the underside of their RV...

What makes you think they're going to spend any time digging into the weight of a trailer if there's a wreck?

I assumed that they called out exclusions in policy documents for a reason, but apparently that's not the case. I am aware of plenty of denied claims for other exclusions, but not specifically for the willful ignorance of hauling more weight than your vehicle is designed to safely tow.

It's good to know that they will pay out a claim despite people's intentional stupidity. After all, it's much cheaper to pay out a $20M liability claim after some dumbass who was 8K overweight takes out grandma & her grandkids on the way to church than to deny the claim.

I appreciate the enlightenment.

Reactions: Remington
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Here are two situations where the company I worked for paid claims we didn't owe.

1. My very first weekend as a newly licensed insurance adjuster in an independent office a woman got in the front passenger seat of her Ford Aerostar van Friday afternoon after work and went to sleep with her 14 year old unlicensed and uninsured son driving. Her 10 year old daughter and the daughter's friend were riding in the back seats, apparently not belted.

The boy ran off the edge of the highway at speed, probably overcorrected, and rolled the van several times. The daughter's friend was sadly killed in the accident.

The policy liability limit was $100,000. My company immediately mailed a check for $100,000 to the deceased girls parents. No questions asked.

2. A young couple was insured by my company. The wife didn't pay for policy renewal and the policy expired after standard mailed out reminders sent. I don't recall how long they had been policyholders.

A month or two later the husband leaving a gas station pulled out into traffic in front of an oncoming car. The other driver could not avoid and hit the formerly insured car. Former insured car was an older car and was a total loss.

No insurance coverage. Voluntary or negligent failure to renew.

My company asked the couple to pay the premium and then paid for damage to the other car and replacement value of the insured's car.

The first lesson I had to learn as an adjuster was "it's not real money." Yes, that's what I meant to say. Insurance companies do care about avoiding overpayment and huge losses but ultimately an insurance company always makes a profit. Huge profits.

If an insurance company's claims experiences are too high this year, their lawyer/lobbyists go to the state insurance regulators and request premiums increases.

I was initially a little surprised by my company's decisions on these and other claims but I quickly realized - it's the bigger picture that matters. A common sense approach is best.

A ruthless, inflexible insurance company that always tries to avoid paying claims will not be in business long.

And a crooked insurance company that tries to deny valid claims or cancel policies instead of flexing will find themselves suspended, not allowed to sell insurance in that particular state.

B

bartruff

Oct 2, 2017
Wenatchee, WA
Ownership

1. Big Red
I just picked up my 700 Pioneer at the dealer with snow tracks and snow plow....the 16X7 tilt car hauler is perfect for my needs.....my sainted mother always preached that it was better to have and not need than to need and not have.... as usual, she was right as I have a few extra inches in width and a couple feet in length to spare........and 3000 lbs of extra towing capacity in my Silverado ...happy camper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoop and HBarlow
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I agree with your sainted mother and you. Sometimes buying the smallest possible trailer your machine can be squeezed into turns out to be a mistake.

Reactions: Jankyeye and Scoop
B

bartruff

Oct 2, 2017
Wenatchee, WA
Ownership

1. Big Red
I agree with your sainted mother and you. Sometimes buying the smallest possible trailer your machine can be squeezed into turns out to be a mistake.
I should add that the trailer has brakes and can carry 7000 lbs...... so there is plenty of " have "....... you always want to fly high and fast.....not low and slow.....not prudent....

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I currently own 4 SxS machines. I've never hauled 4 at the same time, but we do take 3 to local wrestling to ferry in spectators from the remote parking in the area. I own a 30' hydraulically operated beaver tailed gooseneck which easily will carry 3 machines. I also own an aluminum 25' Deck over with dove tail and foldable upright ramps. I can carry 2 at once which I use more often. I also have an 18' aluminum equipment trailer which will only carry one machine. I also sell equipment and use these mostly for business. If I were purchasing a trailer to tote a SxS, I would purchase more trailer than needed because they tend to last a long time, longer if you purchase one that is heavier built. Purchase something that you will be able to grow into as interests and needs tend to change. Tandem trailers ride better, stop more efficiently (considering brakes) , handle more payload and distribute your. load better which reduces tongue weight having less effect on your tow vehicle. Aluminum trailers don't rot and are much easier to sell should the need arise. Steel trailers rust, wood floors rot and aren't a good return on your money unless you purchase a heavy equipment trailer. Steel trailers carry less payload due to the weight of the trailer and cost more to pull and stop considering fuel and wear and tear on your tow vehicle. Aluminum trailers track better. Aluma offers excellent trailers for the money. I wouldn't purchase one for hauling freight or equipment, but they're great for occasional, safe hauling. If you're looking to purchase a trailer and not spend much doing so, good luck. You usually get what you pay for.

Last edited:
E

eolesen

Oct 29, 2023
People's Republic of Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
I found the trailer I want.... It's essentially a Karavan branded for Tracker.

....but this is the one the wife will approve....

It's possible we might be able to swing a friends and family discount with Bass Pro, which might make that 18'er affordable.

And, it will carry the CRV...

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I currently own 4 SxS machines. I've never hauled 4 at the same time, but we do take 3 to local wrestling to ferry in spectators from the remote parking in the area. I own a 30' hydraulically operated beaver tailed gooseneck which easily will carry 3 machines. I also own an aluminum 25' Deck over with dove tail and foldable upright ramps. I can carry 2 at once which I use more often. I also have an 18' aluminum equipment trailer which will only carry one machine. I also sell equipment and use these mostly for business. If I were purchasing a trailer to tote a SxS, I would purchase more trailer than needed because they tend to last a long time, longer if you purchase one that is heavier built. Purchase something that you will be able to grow into as interests and needs tend to change. Tandem trailers ride better, stop more efficiently (considering brakes) , handle more payload and distribute your. load better which reduces tongue weight having less effect on your tow vehicle. Aluminum trailers don't rot and are much easier to sell should the need arise. Steel trailers rust, wood floors rot and aren't a good return on your money unless you purchase a heavy equipment trailer. Steel trailers carry less payload due to the weight of the trailer and cost more to pull and stop considering fuel and wear and tear on your tow vehicle. Aluminum trailers track better. Aluma offers excellent trailers for the money. I wouldn't purchase one for hauling freight or equipment, but they're great for occasional, safe hauling. If you're looking to purchase a trailer and not spend much doing so, good luck. You usually get what you pay for.

I have both Aluma and a couple of Eby’s. For lifetime trailer check out the Eby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I have both Aluma and a couple of Eby’s. For lifetime trailer check out the Eby.

Same here. Both of my Aluminum trailers are Ebys

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like my aluminum DCT with wood floor, but in no way will a fully aluminum decked trailer take the same abuse it has and not have a crap ton of unrepairable scars on the deck. Metal gouges, sharp edges etc. Not to mention they are slippery as hell when wet or covered in snow.

I’m talking skidsteer / heavy/ construction equipment, all kinds of pointy crap dragging on the deck, etc etc.

For princess trailer queens and taking your ATV to the trails they sure look pretty and leave you a really, really light wallet.

When it comes to all out abuse, cost, and longevity, steel is still king by a long shot, might look like hell, but still making money!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
^ This. Those are some of the same reasons I went with an aluminum trailer having a wood floor. Cost wasn't really part of the consideration, TBH.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like my aluminum DCT with wood floor, but in no way will a fully aluminum decked trailer take the same abuse it has and not have a crap ton of unrepairable scars on the deck. Metal gouges, sharp edges etc. Not to mention they are slippery as hell when wet or covered in snow.

I’m talking skidsteer / heavy/ construction equipment, all kinds of pointy crap dragging on the deck, etc etc.

For princess trailer queens and taking your ATV to the trails they sure look pretty and leave you a really, really light wallet.

When it comes to all out abuse, cost, and longevity, steel is still king by a long shot, might look like hell, but still making money!

With the electro hydraulic brakes and

With well over 60k miles. Haul lots of farm equipment with “pointy” things. My deck still looks like new but for a couple of scrapes. No rust

E

eolesen

Oct 29, 2023
Ownership

1. 700-4
Here's the trailer... it's a 80" x 13' drop rail Karavan which I wound up getting new -- the People's Republic of Illinois requires a title, and just about everything I found on Facefraud was either a payment scam (send me a deposit to hold it), didn't have a title (a different type of scam), or was over 15 years old. So off to Tractor Supply it was. For the price with a warranty, not disappointed.

The rails can be dropped for side loading (ramps or a forklift), or removed altogether to turn it into a true flatbed. It came with four 1000lb rated d-ring tiedowns at 15 and 135 inches from the front.

19a848c07775d63da07d9c110ae02f5150867aa7d6e26d8f0fb2f542790f1ca8

Since we still haven't taken delivery of the 700-4D, I loaded up Cub Cadet XT1 and lawn sweeper (my son needed help with leaf cleanup), and both fit with plenty of room to spare front and back. The only "meh" moment was not having tiedowns nearer to the axle.

Fortunately, the frame was pre-tapped and capped for additional tiedowns at 69 and 116 inches. I was able to find the same surface mount d-rings at Menards (1.5") along with some 6" 3/8 grade 5 bolts. I could have done grade 8, but the brackets or straps will break long before the bolts...

All in, less than $30 for the added four tiedowns which are now in place at 69 and 116 inches. I may put an additional two each along the front rail and edge of the dovetail, but didn't feel like drilling into a 2 day old trailer.

The 700-4D is at the dealership awaiting a street kit install, and then we pick it up probably on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Last edited:
B

bartruff

Oct 2, 2017
Wenatchee, WA
Ownership

1. Big Red
I have had 3 trailers to haul motorcycles, ATVS, UTVs and the rest of the alphabet and 2 of them have had wood floors.......no problem......they are easy to treat.... easy to repair and even easy to replace..... value is always important to me.....not cost as I can afford what I want or need....but I want value for my money....even if it is just a cup of coffee......

My background is in Civil Engineering, and I want things that are simple and functional......you know....the Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS} approach.......Pretty is cool, but can she cook ?

E

eolesen

Oct 29, 2023
Ownership

1. 700-4
Another benefit of the steel trailers is you can use a stick welder to accessorize it (e.g. tiedowns, a winch mount, decking on the tongue) or possibly put in a second axle using a much better welder.

That simply isn't an option for most of us with aluminum. Even my iron worker brother in law won't touch aluminum.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Reactions: silvertrd09 and CID
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Another benefit of the steel trailers is you can use a stick welder to accessorize it (e.g. tiedowns, a winch mount, decking on the tongue) or possibly put in a second axle using a much better welder.

First thing I did was install eTrack front to back. I use Erickson adjustable wheel nets, so there's no need to add tiedowns.

That simply isn't an option for most of us with aluminum. Even my iron worker brother in law won't touch aluminum.

My big bro is a welder by trade and does a lot of MIG & TIG. He also owns and operates a mobile welding business, so anything I need done to my aluminum trailer costs me nothing more than the material - and sometimes not even that costs me a dime. :D

E

eolesen

Oct 29, 2023
Ownership

1. 700-4
A postscript to the original thread divert about the CRV...

Today, we traded it in on a Pilot, which is rated up to 5000#.

Now, the Honda can pull the Honda, and the F-150 can pull the 29' trailer. Not ideal for long trips but it works better than a double tow.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!