KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Since we are already on the subject of towing... What size trailer would I need for my Mini Cooper to tow my P500? The Mini Cooper is red if it helps. ;)

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
A little bit less jumping to conclusions. I asked what size trailer it would fit on, not what vehicle to tow it with.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Having a 700 I personally use a 12ft. Could get it done with 10 but I wouldn't want to. Also having owned a CRV before if you have to tow it with that get the lightest aluminum trailer that will do the job.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Since we are already on the subject of towing... What size trailer would I need for my Mini Cooper to tow my P500? The Mini Cooper is red if it helps. ;)
What's the largest number of sammiches you can make in the Mini Cooper without changing the suspension? 🤣

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
20220926 200811

🙃

This is a 5x8.

Last edited:
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
We're picking up a new 700-4 next week...

I've read here that a 5x8 is too small because of the width. Would a 6x10 be enough trailer to balance 60/40 or should I be looking for a 6x12?

Having a 700 I personally use a 12ft. Could get it done with 10 but I wouldn't want to. Also having owned a CRV before if you have to tow it with that get the lightest aluminum trailer that will do the job.

Asked and answered . . .

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Uh.... I've been towing for 20 years.....

I never said I was towing the camper with a CRV. I said I was trying to avoid a double tow by using the CRV to pull the SxS.
Uh…. Read your other post, you did. Its nether here or there at this point, you re tracked yourself and corrected cuz you've been towing less years than most of us but thats cool😘 NoHmo
Your still crazy if u even think of a double towing your CRV to pull the SXS.
Again, Dont forget pics when u get it
POIDH

Also, make sure u hit reply to the post your replying too or do this @eolesen so that person gets a message so they know u responded. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We're picking up a new 700-4 next week...

I've read here that a 5x8 is too small because of the width. Would a 6x10 be enough trailer to balance 60/40 or should I be looking for a 6x12?

My P1k5 just fits on my steel 6x10 pj trailer with a bifold ramp.

A low profile 6x10 aluminum would be my target if I was in your shoes.

I wouldnt be afraid to pull it with the CRV like a tops of 30 mi and at lower speeds like 55 tops. Ain’t the weight that’s the problem it’s the drag that will toastify that little tranny.

You want something big enough to handle the load but not so small that it trailers like garbage behind your truck.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
My P1k5 just fits on my steel 6x10 pj trailer with a bifold ramp.

A low profile 6x10 aluminum would be my target if I was in your shoes.

I wouldnt be afraid to pull it with the CRV like a tops of 30 mi and at lower speeds like 55 tops. Ain’t the weight that’s the problem it’s the drag that will toastify that little tranny.

You want something big enough to handle the load but not so small that it trailers like garbage behind your truck.
It's not really about whether or not the CRV can "handle' it. It's what happens when something happens and the insurance company denies your claim because they can do math.

Imagine getting into an accident and your insurance company denies your claim. Not only are you potentially out tens of thousands for your car, trailer, SXS, if you're at fault and hurt someone else, you're likely going to lose a lot more than a car and a SXS.

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Baws, always get the biggest trailer your tow vehicle can tow. Because somewhere down the road you're going to try and fit a 4 seater mule and a Pioneer on a 16ft trailer. You will take off a Winch plate, a bed, a cooler rack, and gun racks to make them fit. They won't fit. An 18ft trailer over in the neighbor's yard is looking pretty sweet rt now. 🤬

20231031 221011 20231031 221035 20231031 221018

• Haha
Reactions: CID and futzin
E

eolesen

Oct 29, 2023
People's Republic of Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
It's not really about whether or not the CRV can "handle' it. It's what happens when something happens and the insurance company denies your claim because they can do math.

Imagine getting into an accident and your insurance company denies your claim. Not only are you potentially out tens of thousands for your car, trailer, SXS, if you're at fault and hurt someone else, you're likely going to lose a lot more than a car and a SXS.

Yeah, I've heard similar lines like that from the Weight Police in the RV'ing forums for the past 20 years. Not once have I ever heard an actual example of it happening. You'd think there'd be at least one poor soul who would have come forward in all that time....

Insurance companies pay out most claims for damage done by drunk drivers (being drunk by itself is not intent to cause an accident)
They pay out claims for people who wreck their cars speeding (again... intent)

They pay out damage claims for people driving 20mph faster than the speed rating of their tires who then have blowouts that destroy the underside of their RV...

What makes you think they're going to spend any time digging into the weight of a trailer if there's a wreck?

Reactions: Scoop and HBarlow
E

eolesen

Oct 29, 2023
People's Republic of Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
always get the biggest trailer your tow vehicle can tow. Because somewhere down the road you're going to try and fit a 4 seater mule and a Pioneer on a 16ft trailer. You will take off a Winch plate, a bed, a cooler rack, and gun racks to make them fit. They won't fit. An 18ft trailer over in the neighbor's yard is looking pretty sweet rt now. 🤬

In general, you're right. Ten years ago we would have had the SxS and a couple Ranchers. But now we're at that "retirement is within sight" age where it's just me, my wife and our disabled adult daughter. We won't need a second 4-seater. We do have a rancher but we keep that on family land in the community ATV pool, and it won't leave that land other than on its own wheels.

If our adult kids happen to get into this, then that's on them to get a truck and trailer.

Leaning heavily towards the Karavan with the fold-down rails unless someone has a good argument against them. My wallet likes the 6x10 but the stability of the longer wheelbase for the 6x12 is a compelling argument...

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!