Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
f*** it... I’m just going to chock the wheels with a piece of rail road tie and call it good. @Cuoutdoors @CumminsPusher
You're getting a little sensitive about this. It sounds like you just want everyone to agree with you and move on. So yes, go back to your old way and use the closed end straps. The trailer is enclosed anyway so the sxs isnt going to escape.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I prefer to not compress the suspension when hauling. Wheel straps or tire bonnets both achieve that. I use the straps and tighten them so hard it flexes the tire. They haven't come off that way.

Both are susceptible to a tire going flat. I also use a "safety" strap front and back. That way if there is a problem with the wheel straps the extra safety strap keeps it from moving very much.

Also are you setting your parking break? That will also help.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There won’t be tension... that’s correct. I agree, and as I said. A flat is a flat. But my point being. If my tires go flat, I still have the machine secured. It might move 6 inches but it should never leave the trailer. Whereas the bonnets could slip off the tire if there is a flat. Mine did fine when the tires were holding. And I liked it initially. But how many here have had the chance to test their means of tie down? I’m just bringing to attention the possibility of failure present with the bonnet system.

Yea, but you talking an extreme of 4 flat tires, 2 quality bonnets will hold, now if you really want to be safe wheel bonnets and your straps .... there your covered on straps ... just that that they may rip your attachment points out lol.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I prefer to not compress the suspension when hauling. Wheel straps or tire bonnets both achieve that. I use the straps and tighten them so hard it flexes the tire. They haven't come off that way.

Both are susceptible to a tire going flat. I also use a "safety" strap front and back. That way if there is a problem with the wheel straps the extra safety strap keeps it from moving very much.

Also are you setting your parking break? That will also help.

Not compressing the suspension makes the trailer ride REAL nice. I picked up a welding table that was a little more than half what the pioneer is and I felt EVERY bump in the road with it chained down.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not compressing the suspension makes the trailer ride REAL nice. I picked up a welding table that was a little more than half what the pioneer is and I felt EVERY bump in the road with it chained down.
Yeah but what were you pulling it with.

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The CO trip was the maiden voyage using etrack, chocks, and straps over the tires. I checked them at least every other petro fill up. I had about 10-11 psi when I left AR and when I unloaded at Taylor Lake, I was at 16.5-17 psi in each tire. Naturally I lowered them back to 10 and then after leaving when we were around TX/OK at a stop, I checked and had to tighten the straps a few more clicks cause the tires had lost pressure from the elevation change. I’ve not checked them since unloading but it looks like they’re at maybe 5 psi. @JTW could the loss in your tires have been from the elevation change?

I will say this - it towed so much better using the straps on the tires instead of compressing the suspension... granted I’ve not got a cummins or eb motor - just a lowly tuned 5.3, but it felt so much smoother.

52E98DA8 4F00 49D1 B4FF 21818D712F9E
9D5E600C F9AB 4068 81F3 B648BF1A1F4B

J

JTW

The CO trip was the maiden voyage using etrack, chocks, and straps over the tires. I checked them at least every other petro fill up. I had about 10-11 psi when I left AR and when I unloaded at Taylor Lake, I was at 16.5-17 psi in each tire. Naturally I lowered them back to 10 and then after leaving when we were around TX/OK at a stop, I checked and had to tighten the straps a few more clicks cause the tires had lost pressure from the elevation change. I’ve not checked them since unloading but it looks like they’re at maybe 5 psi. @JTW could the loss in your tires have been from the elevation change?

I will say this - it towed so much better using the straps on the tires instead of compressing the suspension... granted I’ve not got a cummins or eb motor - just a lowly tuned 5.3, but it felt so much smoother.

View attachment 155744
View attachment 155745
I suspect one of the rear tires was due to elevation change. I was running about 8psi. The other was the gaping gash. I’m also a little curious if the torsion axles on the trailer are better suited with the wheel bonnets or pulling down the machine against the suspension.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah but what were you pulling it with.

I was making the point the suspension on the SxS absorbs some of the energy from rough roads vs the trailer suspension doing it all.

Steel welding table doesn’t have any suspension.

Doesn’t matter what you’re pulling it with it will save wear and tear on components.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was making the point the suspension on the SxS absorbs some of the energy from rough roads vs the trailer suspension doing it all.

Steel welding table doesn’t have any suspension.

Doesn’t matter what you’re pulling it with it will save wear and tear on components.
I was starting the EcoBoost vs the world argument!

Reactions: Tigermark and L2R
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I suspect one of the rear tires was due to elevation change. I was running about 8psi. The other was the gaping gash. I’m also a little curious if the torsion axles on the trailer are better suited with the wheel bonnets or pulling down the machine against the suspension.
My enclosed has torsion axles and I use the tire straps. FWIW

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have been using the bonnets on both front tires for years on golf cart and never had it budge.
Same on front tire of Harley, never moves.

odd that 2 tires went flat.
could it be that you strapped them down enough to pinch the flats?
If so, then maybe bonnets is the best method unless you have 5 psi in your tires.

Sounds like you are doing what you need to do but in general, I think bonnets work best for all the reasons mentioned in past posts.

So if you strap down the old way and get 2 flats, you will still have some slack as well, I would guess, so not sure either way works if the tires go down.

Reactions: DanDan and BWAF
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Elevation likely the culprit on that issue. I’ll do a control test when I get mine running try to use same tension and let air out of each tire at a time doing a dead stop from 60 to see how much it moves with one flat, two flat ect. Then we can argue more about it. I use the bonnets cause For me they are easy and with the winch points up front I’m pretty sure all 4 are gonna have to give before I get much movement.

That and if I have regular straps I’m gonna end up grabbing them and using them for god knows what other purpose and destroy or lose them lol.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
....That and if I have regular straps I’m gonna end up grabbing them and using them for god knows what other purpose and destroy or lose them lol.
This is me to a T. I get straps, cut them and label where they go, and then immediately turn around and use them for something else and destroy or lose them.

Reactions: tr005 and DanDan
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!