P1000 Wheel bonnet woes!!

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
I'll go out on a limb and say the Odds are exponentially greater that you will mess up your machine on the trail vs your machine gets messed up due to properly installed Tire Bonnets on tires that go flat....
Stop using those big words so us rednecks can follow along. ;)

J

JTW

I'll go out on a limb and say the Odds are exponentially greater that you will mess up your machine on the trail vs your machine gets messed up due to properly installed Tire Bonnets on tires that go flat....
I would say that’s accurate.. but I’m more concerned with unexpected catastrophic failures that result in bodily harm.

Reactions: Ragnar406
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've always been a "compression" tie down guy too.. most likely from motorcycles too.

However, I do plan on getting a set of Macs bonnet ties for my trailer. I'll most likely throw one front & one rear frame strap on simply because I'm an "overkill" kinda guy. But those will be for "just in case" reasons. I've never had a flat while towing, so I'm thinking if I had enough flats on one trip to allow the machine to move..... I'd probably have to buy a lotto ticket.

I broke one of the High Lift pins on my last trailer with my Honda Rancher tied down. I obviously didn't have it cranked down hard enough, and hit a good bump.. it went slack for a second, and when it came back it busted that 3/8" pin right off.

There is something to be said about tying the straps to the tires and not the "sprung" vehicle.

Personal opinion @JTW is you're over thinking it.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would say that’s accurate.. but I’m more concerned with unexpected catastrophic failures that result in bodily harm.
Yet you still ride your dirt bike/ motorcycle lol... sorry just realized you said unexpected ...

I now am worried my wheel bonnets will come loose since I am giving you crap about your concern - lol

J

JTW

Yet you still ride your dirt bike/ motorcycle lol... sorry just realized you said unexpected ...

I now am worried my wheel bonnets will come loose since I am giving you crap about your concern - lol
Again.. I’m aware of that risk. I’m just trying to mitigate the potential for my pk5 donkey punching me in an accident.

Reactions: Smitty335 and BWAF
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Unexpected Catastrophic Failure = why you carry insurance.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Japs? Everyone’s knows we fought the Japanese in Cold War... not the Spanish American war when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!
Very interesting! The history books I was taught from were very different than yours! HA!

Reactions: BigOL3
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Very interesting! The history books I was taught from were very different than yours! HA!
I'm pretty sure the books in Arkansas purchased from the Clinton Foundation you were taught from have an alternative reality to what really happened. But at the stage in your life, to quote Killary, " At this point what does it matter. "

J

JTW

Unexpected Catastrophic Failure = why you carry insurance.
I’m less concerned about the damage than I am a machine coming into the cab.. the whole point of this thread was the pros and cons of how you tie down and to raise awareness for the next great sxs epidemic plaguing riders. This is clearly the next 3 wheeler hazard!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm pretty sure the books in Arkansas purchased from the Clinton Foundation you were taught from have an alternative reality to what really happened. But at the stage in your life, to quote Killary, " At this point what does it matter. "
Try Kennedy! HA!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m less concerned about the damage than I am a machine coming into the cab.. the whole point of this thread was the pros and cons of how you tie down and to raise awareness for the next great sxs epidemic plaguing riders. This is clearly the next 3 wheeler hazard!
The top rail on my trailer is what kept our S x S out of the bed/cab on my mishap. After that, my trailers will all have a top rail.

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!