Wheel Hubs Warn ? and Supply Issue ?

Moab_Marty

Moab_Marty

Jul 12, 2019
Moab + Western CO
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looking for some wisdom from members. I had my rear wheel bearings replaced by Honda Dealer at about 8000 miles ( one had definitely failed, wheel had a lot of play).
When I picked it up, the mechanic noted that wheel hubs were "warn" and needed replacement. However they told me that they were on back order last September when I picked it up.

Last week I checked with my local dealer Grand Junction and another one in Salt Lake City. Both told that the hubs were still on back order with no ETA.

When I did an oil change recently, and had the Talon off the ground, I checked play on both rear wheels by holding tire with both hands and push/pulled sideways. Both had about the same amount of slight play ( but much less than when I had the bad bearing). Sorry no measurements. When I checked the fronts, they seemed to have no play by comparison .

1. Wondering if anyone knows a good after market source for hubs. How do I know if the used ones I see on E-bay aren't also warn?

2. What are the consequences of driving my Talon with the play in the rears ? Do I risk being stranded if I continue to drive it ?

Reactions: TxDoc
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've had good luck in this situation by contacting Ron aryers, east coast west coast are different regions. If they can't supply them they may put you in touch with someone who can. I consider 1/16in play at the wheel to be normal

Reactions: TxDoc and Remington
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
How do I know if the used ones I see on E-bay aren't also warn?
You wont. Thats the chance you take buying used on SleazeBay when you cant physically hold them in your hands before purchase.

Reactions: TxDoc and Coeus
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Looking for some wisdom from members. I had my rear wheel bearings replaced by Honda Dealer at about 8000 miles ( one had definitely failed, wheel had a lot of play).
When I picked it up, the mechanic noted that wheel hubs were "warn" and needed replacement. However they told me that they were on back order last September when I picked it up.

Last week I checked with my local dealer Grand Junction and another one in Salt Lake City. Both told that the hubs were still on back order with no ETA.

When I did an oil change recently, and had the Talon off the ground, I checked play on both rear wheels by holding tire with both hands and push/pulled sideways. Both had about the same amount of slight play ( but much less than when I had the bad bearing). Sorry no measurements. When I checked the fronts, they seemed to have no play by comparison .

1. Wondering if anyone knows a good after market source for hubs. How do I know if the used ones I see on E-bay aren't also warn?

2. What are the consequences of driving my Talon with the play in the rears ? Do I risk being stranded if I continue to drive it ?

my spider sense is this rig is just fine - a slight amount of play is probably the whole hub moving - and the wheel bearings are fine.

I doubt if your hub bearing surfaces are worn out - they can be galled, worn, ugly but it is uncommon that they can’t hold a bearing (but I am sure they are some that are spun). Technically your Honda shop wouldn’t have put new bearings in a worn out hub so I think they are being over dramatic Nancie’s .

Your risk is low - just keep an eye on it and inspect periodically.

Ron Ayer’s, used hubs off of eBay and RacCo. Are options for hubs

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
How many hubs do you need? I have the 4 stock hubs off my race car that I swapped out for Raceco units because lighter = quicker. I don't need all 4 as spares and could sell a couple if needed.