P500 Wheel lug torque

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Wondering if anyone knows what the factory torque spec is for the lug nuts on the P500? Got new wheels and would like to torque them correctly. I know the stock ones came off pretty hard so I'm guessing it's fairly high, or they really cranked them down when it got assembled, one of the two..

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well the owners manual on both the P500 and P1000 says to, "check that the lug nuts are tight" I could not find any torque specifications in either manual. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place but the pages were specifically addressing the lug nuts and wheels.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Well the owners manual on both the P500 and P1000 says to, "check that the lug nuts are tight" I could not find any torque specifications in either manual. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place but the pages were specifically addressing the lug nuts and wheels.
Thanks for the info gentlemen, my wheel shop was unsure as well and gave me a guess of 110 based on stud size. Just wanted to see if that was way off or in the ballpark at least.

Reactions: Montecresto
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
98 ft/lb sounds insane. Cars and small trucks are usually in the 80 - 95 ft/lb range. Putting my new STI wheels on tonight, and did a quick forum search to see about lug nut torque. Also, with alloy wheels it's usually recommended to recheck the torque after a ride or two.

I will check the owners manual when I get home and see if I can find that torque spec. If it really is 98 ft/lb, then that torque spec is in the same category as the one for the little bolts that hold the oil filter cover on.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Tight.

Reactions: trigger
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Upload 2016 5 18 16 16 59
Last item on the list. The instructions on my aluminum rims said to torque to Honda's spec, but I stopped at 80ft-lbs. I just didn't like the feel of things when I torqued them.

Upload 2016 5 18 16 16 59

advertisement
R

Ransom

Sep 21, 2022
PA
Ownership

1. 500
Wondering if anyone knows what the factory torque spec is for the lug nuts on the P500? Got new wheels and would like to torque them correctly. I know the stock ones came off pretty hard so I'm guessing it's fairly high, or they really cranked them down when it got assembled, one of the two..
I just remounted my wheels to 98lbs like the manual said. I thought it sounded a little tight, so I initially put em to 90. I made a silly mistake and put the tires on the wrong side. A cordless impact zipped em right off no problem. Put em to 98 after that. Out of curiosity, I took em off again and had to break em loose before the impact could do the rest.

before taking it out again, I’m gonna put some blue thread locker on and set it back to 98lbs. A day of riding over rocks and through rough trails will surprise you on what it can knock loose.

Reactions: crewcabrob
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I just remounted my wheels to 98lbs like the manual said. I thought it sounded a little tight, so I initially put em to 90. I made a silly mistake and put the tires on the wrong side. A cordless impact zipped em right off no problem. Put em to 98 after that. Out of curiosity, I took em off again and had to break em loose before the impact could do the rest.

before taking it out again, I’m gonna put some blue thread locker on and set it back to 98lbs. A day of riding over rocks and through rough trails will surprise you on what it can knock loose.

Consider spacers. Read where you added height but didn't see where you spread the stance.

R

Ransom

Sep 21, 2022
PA
Ownership

1. 500
Consider spacers. Read where you added height but didn't see where you spread the stance.
I was thinking about the spacers, but from what I’ve heard it’s not necessary. Trying to keep it “narrow” cus we mainly do the atv trails. Think I’d be able to get spacers and keep it slim? If so, what would you recommend.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I was thinking about the spacers, but from what I’ve heard it’s not necessary. Trying to keep it “narrow” cus we mainly do the atv trails. Think I’d be able to get spacers and keep it slim? If so, what would you recommend.

Don't know where you heard that but it was bad advice. Been a motto around here for yrs, if you go up you need to go out. These machines won't see their full potential being left as a pucker fest. Depending on what terrain you're riding, you'll be on your side all day. If you kept the wides on the back, I'd do 1" spacers on all 4 corners.
We all wanted to keep it skinny when we got one and you can with smaller tires. There are those that ignored the warnings, totaled the machine and damn near broke their neck. Most of us are at 53" to 55" and still end up on our side at some point. FWIW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!