ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lmao... so has anyone figured out what’s the best setup?

Longer a-arms, custom axle shafts, upgraded tie rods, bead lock wheels, custom triple rate shocks with remote reservoirs, quick disconnect sway bar, lowered aftermarket roll cage, lightweight roof, bucket seats with 4 point harnesses. Duh... It's only money

Reactions: JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@JTW here you go ....
Upload 2017 12 13 8 48 52

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Lmao... so has anyone figured out what’s the best setup?
The way @lee said... The way Honda designed it. Other wise your end up putting the duct tape over the bandaid that really needed a welder to begin with.

Don't be discouraged though this whole industry of SXS aftermarket parts is based on people he'll bent to fix it until it breaks spending thousands in the process. The issue arise when it really takes tens of thousands to do it right for making a Pioneer capable of blasting the off road like a trophy truck. By then the only OEM parts would be a the transmission and modded engine.

Or just get a Maverick X3 X RS at 72" wide 24" travel and 172 HP and save $50K over trying to make a P1K into one.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The way @lee said... The way Honda designed it. Other wise your end up putting the duct tape over the bandaid that really needed a welder to begin with.

Don't be discouraged though this whole industry of SXS aftermarket parts is based on people he'll bent to fix it until it breaks spending thousands in the process. The issue arise when it really takes tens of thousands to do it right for making a Pioneer capable of blasting the off road like a trophy truck. By then the only OEM parts would be a the transmission and modded engine.

Or just get a Maverick X3 X RS at 72" wide 24" travel and 172 HP and save $50K over trying to make a P1K into one.

be nice to also have an X3 to play with they look FUN, I mean I'd drool over the Honda sport but theres not one....

Reactions: Windrock1000
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
be nice to also have an X3 to play with they look FUN, I mean I'd drool over the Honda sport but theres not one....

I agree, the X3 platform is very well designed, the new 120 HP 900cc no turbo version 64" wide & 20" travel should be a heck of a trail machine being geared lower.

Honda is missing big opportunity but business wise I get why they would rather sell a million mopeds in countries like India for a few hundred profit each vs. 10K sport SXS at a few thousand profit each. $200mil. VS. $2mil profit, and to get the 2 mil have to spend $40mil on a factory expansion.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree, the X3 platform is very well designed, the new 120 HP 900cc no turbo version 64" wide & 20" travel should be a heck of a trail machine being geared lower.

Honda is missing big opportunity but business wise I get why they would rather sell a million mopeds in countries like India for a few hundred profit each vs. 10K sport SXS at a few thousand profit each. $200mil. VS. $2mil profit, and to get the 2 mil have to spend $40mil on a factory expansion.

One day it might be fun to have a second machine thats a pure sport. Right now thats not in the cards.

J

JTW

So let me get this straight.. you guys think the best setup is a factory rzr?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So let me get this straight.. you guys think the best setup is a factory rzr?
He'll no at the moment for this area terrain and high performance the Can AM Maverick X3 X MR

Maverick™ X3 X™ mr TURBO Side-by-Side Price & Specs| Can...

Without a CVT this is the best performance option but only with the genuine Yamaha gear reduction. IF I was to stray from Honda this is exactly what I would buy for these trails in TN. Right now these can be bought for $17k not 22K
Yamaha YXZ 1000 SS SE with launch control geared tranny with paddle shifting auto clutch.

2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE Pure Sport Side-by-Side - Photo Gallery, Video, Specs, Features, Offers, Inventory and more

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
He'll no at the moment for this area terrain and high performance the Can AM Maverick X3 X MR

Maverick™ X3 X™ mr TURBO Side-by-Side Price & Specs| Can...

Without a CVT this is the best performance option but only with the genuine Yamaha gear reduction. IF I was to stray from Honda this is exactly what I would buy for these trails in TN. Right now these can be bought for $17k not 22K
Yamaha YXZ 1000 SS SE with launch control geared tranny with paddle shifting auto clutch.

2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE Pure Sport Side-by-Side - Photo Gallery, Video, Specs, Features, Offers, Inventory and more

Have they lowered first gear ? Wasn't that a problem initially if you weren't in wide open desert?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Have they lowered first gear ? Wasn't that a problem initially if you weren't in wide open desert?
Yes with the GYGTR kit as they call it 1st gear is reduced 70% it will crawl 3mph all day long with it. Other gears are about 30% still tops out at 68 mph with reduction and 90+mph with out using the limiter bypass . And it includes an MCU that lets you tune it for up to 31" tires, ( shifting & speedometer) now that's factory support.

GYTR’s Torque Assist Gear Kit helps your YXZ®1000R SS get up, over, and through the rockiest terrain, tightest trails, and nastiest mud. This innovative system reduces overall gearing, providing enhanced torque control to the industry’s only Pure Sport Side-by-Side with Sport Shift.

The Torque Assist Gear Kit provides 30% reduction (70% 1stgear) vs. stock gearing when your terrain demands the ultimate accessory for low speed and tight trail riding. It stands out by providing all the necessary Yamaha Genuine Parts required (*Yamalube sold separately) for installation. The optimized MCU, factory pre-machined case, all Yamaha Genuine bearings, precision cut gears, speedometer calibrator, and gaskets are included. There is no grinding, shipping of the transmission or guesswork involved!

• 30% reduction on original gearing for balanced close ratio performance
  • 70% reduction to 1st gear from OEM for ultimate low speed crawling
  • Includes new MCU (shift computer) optimized for use with the Gear Reduction System for perfect shifts in all situations
  • The speedometer calibrator provides the ability to adapt to various tire sizes for precise speedometer reading
  • Works great with various Yamaha offered tire sizes (26”-31”) allowing you to dial in your exact tire setup/size
  • Yamaha Genuine Accessory Tire Kits, available exclusively through Yamaha, are highly recommended and perfectly matched for the ultimate riding experience
  • Dealer installation recommended

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes with the GYGTR kit as they call if 1st gear is reduced 70% it will crawl 3mph all day long with it. Other gears are about 40% still tops out at 68 mph with reduction and 90+mph with out using the limiter bypass .

If you're looking at a sport machine might not be a bad choice then.

Product Details

Momma has a few requests that have to be met before I can get a second machine.
Also need to get a shop built garage is at capacity.
Honda still has plenty of time to get their act together for me to stay Red on a sport.

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If you're looking at a sport machine might not be a bad choice then.

Product Details

Momma has a few requests that have to be met before I can get a second machine.
Also need to get a shop built garage is at capacity.
Honda still has plenty of time to get their act together for me to stay Red on a sport.

Same here, I am patient and optimistic Honda will give us a few great options for MY2019 they will just be later availability than the other current models. The 1000-5 is a great family cruiser that will go nearly everywhere albeit a tippy portly gal on off camber. My P500 hold down the mowing and light chores. So for the time being ( next 18 months) I'm happy with what I have and yet anxious to see what big red drops to compete with the Yamaha YXZ 1000R & Maverick X3, the Polaris I just don't even consider to be in the running with the other two even though it's popularity equals it's number of recalls.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same here, I am patient and optimistic Honda will give us a few great options for MY2019 they will just be later availability than the other current models. The 1000-5 is a great family cruiser that will go nearly everywhere albeit a tippy portly gal on off camber. My P500 hold down the mowing and light chores. So for the time being ( next 18 months) I'm happy with what I have and yet anxious to see what big red drops to compete with the Yamaha YXZ 1000R & Maverick X3, the P****** I just don't even consider to be in the running with the other two even though it's popularity equals it's number of recalls.

I love my 1000-5 its perfect for what I use it for. It is a more than capable trail machine considering what its "designed" for.
Other than the Fox shocks and some tougher tires and wheels, I am not going to do any more chassis upgrades. Since I decided to not put true 30's I am almost regretting the SATV Arched arms since that was the ONLY reason I did them.

I know they keep saying its on its way, but I'm gonna keep pointing out its not here yet until it shows up on a showroom floor. I want it out a year or so before I decide to buy one, seeing as they added a bunch of good stuff to the 700 and 1000 a year or two after it was released. I hope they release something that is a monster, along the lines of the original NSX which shook the Italians to their core. SPORTY and DEPENDABLE, and it was affordable new, for at least the upper middle class, you didn't have to be a CEO or be born into old money to afford one.

When you have 11 pages of CPSC.gov recalls, like P****** does, theres no way you can spin that to be a good thing. People are moving away from p******, and moving to Yamaha and Can-Am for a sport machine after leaving the "devil they knew". There are a number of people waiting for a Honda option.

I saw a doc that showed sales were down for SxS for 2017, probably due to all the "stop sale" recalls for p******. Now I am just a lowly consumer, but I think Honda should take advantage of their name and the timing and release the kraken they've been working on. There are a LOT of people who want another choice and are tired of the status quo of fix and fix and fix again. Granted some of those people could tear up an anvil with a feather hammer.

Reactions: JTW and JACKAL
J

JTW

Soooo... if you add spacers to the outside of the wheel will that help reduce the strain on the CVs and still give the added stability?

Reactions: nbomar and Gator
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!