P1000 When do you use Low gear

ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had my P1k5 less than a month. I have not tried out low yet. Too dang cold to do it today, so I figured I'd ask here. When I bought I thought of low for use much like 4wd vehicles. But a post on the facebook group replied to a guy who was driving 10 to 15 mph terrain. His machine was shifting a lot. He thought it might be the clutch issue. But the replies advised that he should be in Low gear. This got me wondering since I've experienced the same shifting a lot when going 15 mph or less. Your thoughts please.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome its fine and normal. If it gets too annoying put it in manual and keep it in a gear that keeps it from bogging down the motor. It WILL downshift if needed.

Low gear should be used when riding slowly through technical terrain, its speed limited at 33 so you have plenty of speed for most trails. High is more for smooth trails at speed, or basically road like conditions.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had my P1k5 less than a month. I have not tried out low yet. Too dang cold to do it today, so I figured I'd ask here. When I bought I thought of low for use much like 4wd vehicles. But a post on the facebook group replied to a guy who was driving 10 to 15 mph terrain. His machine was shifting a lot. He thought it might be the clutch issue. But the replies advised that he should be in Low gear. This got me wondering since I've experienced the same shifting a lot when going 15 mph or less. Your thoughts please.
I find myself using low with manual on most trail rides. Low gear keeps the rpms up (clutches like that) and the manual eliminates all the unwanted shifts. Took me awhile before I started using manual, but once I did I prefer it most of the time!

ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for your replies. I have used manual but it would downshift to 1st gear automatically to soon for my liking. So is Low = to being in 1st all the time?

Reactions: Lady01
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if it downshifts and you're in manual it needs to downshift.

No low is just a lower range for the gears than high. If theres a lot of technical or long steep uphill where I can't find a good speed in a gear I'll put mine in Low range and I'll be in all 6 gears at different times.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Low drives me bananas and I don’t use it unless it’s a very technical section. I’ve killed the engine in high before because it bogged to much. I’m not saying my style is good for the machine it probably isn’t but the low range shifting even in manual drives me nuts. I will use it like I said for extreme technical stuff or very steep where I know I need RPMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Low drives me bananas and I don’t use it unless it’s a very technical section. I’ve killed the engine in high before because it bogged to much. I’m not saying my style is good for the machine it probably isn’t but the low range shifting even in manual drives me nuts. I will use it like I said for extreme technical stuff or very steep where I know I need RPMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here, I very seldom use low.

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Flat trails that wind around and you can maintain around 15 and up I will use high gear sport mode or manual mode.

Going up and down trails with tight turns and big hills use low gear.

When I'm around the house working, towing or heavy loads in bed I use low gear

advertisement
ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting. I've learned something today. Thx all!!!!
I look forward to trying out Low when it warms up a tad.

Reactions: Lady01 and Haldog77
Welshman

Welshman

May 12, 2017
Malad, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting. I've learned something today. Thx all!!!!
I look forward to trying out Low when it warms up a tad.
I've had mine about 8 months and I drive almost 100% in manual now unless I use sport. I think everyone depending on their use is going to give you a different answer.
I use mine to check cows and calves in pastures in the summer and calving real soon. If your creeping around at under 5 miles an hour or less you definitly want it in low.

Reactions: Lady01 and ZeroG
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
In 4wd and anything below 30mph I use low but I am also turning aggressive tread 30in tires. I don't want to nuke my clutch yet.

Reactions: Lady01 and ZeroG
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use low most of the time if it's rutted, thick mud and rocks and if I'm not going very fast. If I feel that it's too high or low of gear I just slap the paddle shifter to whatever I think is better.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
99.9 percent of the time I'm in low. I don't drive mine very fast.

H

Hucker

Jul 30, 2016
SE AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Running fast = high gear in auto mode (at least 50% of my time)

Running slow (<30 mph) = low gear in manual mode

Like others have said, it took me awhile to appreciate low/manual mode. The auto downshift makes it perfect. I find myself spending most of my time between 2nd and 5th gears running technical trails. 1st is so slow, and reserved for steeper climbs or filling-rattling-rough trails.

Reactions: Lady01 and sharp
Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
When I went to have my clutch update done, the service manager asked me what I normally drove it in and I told him low because unless I was out running on a dirt road, I was in low. He said as long as I trail rode in low and only used high on dirt roads/flat or fast, smooth trails, I'd probably never have a clutch issue. Granted, I still had the clutch update done and he still recommended I do it now rather than wait for problems down the road, especially since I was 3rd in line for the update...

He never would come out and say it, but I'm pretty sure he felt running it in high when it should've been in low was a contributing factor to the clutch issues people have.

Rincon

Rincon

Jul 27, 2017
Yuba City, North California.State Of Jefferson
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like the responses above, I use "sport mode" or manual mostly............That's driving on logging roads in the Northern California Sierras. I only use low when getting tackling really steep terrain or rocks like on the Fordyce trail. (not saying I've done the trail in my Pioneer!)

Reactions: Lady01 and sharp
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run mine in high 98% of the time, letting the rpms stay low to keep engine noise down. I lug it up hills and such. Only time I ever use low is pulling something heavy, going through thick mud, or like Joey said - when I want/need the rpms to be up. I haven't had the clutch campaign performed and no issues with my clutch yet.

Waylan

nerd

nerd

Aug 22, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
He never would come out and say it, but I'm pretty sure he felt running it in high when it should've been in low was a contributing factor to the clutch issues people have.

Mine DID come out and say it - if you're going slow or pulling, it should be in low or you'll burn it up in no time.

Mine is in low 85% or more. I don't drive fast unless it's on the road, and then I run it in high. I read on here somewhere (and it seems to be good advice) to keep RPM's above 1800 for adequate (or minimum) cooling and clutch engagement. When I do ride trails I much prefer low in manual - as others have said. For where I live and what I do, this suits me.

Needless to say, responses vary so widely due to 1) terrain / geography, and 2) personal driving habits. I guess you could add beverage consumption and mental capacity as close followers, hahaha. Enjoy!

Reactions: Lady01
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!