Which chainsaw are you using?

G

garrickg

May 21, 2016
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm curious what brand/size are you using... I'd like to pick up another small saw for trails/maintenance/etc.... Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We had a husky 455 20" bar and absolutely loved that saw went hard year after year with no maintenance at all. Easy to start and run. We bought it used put 5-6 years on it with the original plug even.Was light enough to carry on the bikes even and did all we needed. We recently bought a 460 (not because it died but got stolen) but wanted a little more power but it's not as smooth. Many people around us picked up the 455 because of its dependability.

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
My big saw is a MS362 M-Tronic. My small saw is a POOlan... It doesn't get used much since i got the Stihl lol.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stihl MS 250 with easy start but I changed out the chain adjuster for the old style. Great saw.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Poulan P3314, 14" Gas Chain Saw, 2.0 CUIN, 33CC, 2 Cycle good small chainsaw. I did put a Oregon 541219 PowerSharp Starter Kit For 14-Inch Stihl Chain Saws on it and it works a lot better.

Last edited:
JohnNH

JohnNH

Aug 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've run a lot of different saws over the years my favorite is a husqavarna then stihl still a good saw though I was looking for a new saw this spring and I was lucky I found 2 basically brand new ones for half the price on Craigslist one thing I will not get is the quick chain tensionor on them though poulon owns the husqavarna brand now for awhile so if you do buy one make sure it says made in Sweden that's the original plant

K

kf9ez

Nov 29, 2015
In my opinion, a good, inexpensive, light weight little saw to carry would be an Echo CS-271T with a 12" bar. With an easy muffler modification and tune up it will scream and cut anything you might reasonably want to cut to clear a trail. It's a top handle saw, so be careful. Just my $0.02

Reactions: jawquin
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Someone say chainsaws?

Yeah, I have a problem....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya I love those pics Joey! So.....what's your favorite saw

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: joeymt33
G

garrickg

May 21, 2016
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Joeymt33, you sir have a heck of a collection! I was raised on a McCulloch saws. Loved them...

kf9ez, the echo CS-271T (or similar) is what (I believe) I am looking for. The "smallest" saw I currently own is a Sthil MS260. I'd like something a little smaller for farm/trail trimming.

BIGRACK, I need to also look into that MS170.

Great forum, guys! Thank you for the input!

BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn
Joeymt33, you sir have a heck of a collection! I was raised on a McCulloch saws. Loved them...

kf9ez, the echo CS-271T (or similar) is what (I believe) I am looking for. The "smallest" saw I currently own is a Sthil MS260. I'd like something a little smaller for farm/trail trimming.

BIGRACK, I need to also look into that MS170.

Great forum, guys! Thank you for the input!

MS 170 is on sale thru stihl dealer for 179.00 My buddy owns dealership here says they are solid built . Hardly any returned for repair . That's why I bought a second one. We use a saw a lot on our farms and trails thru property. Got a big husky and stihl also . I don't like Husky brake system had a lot of trouble from it, good motors in the old ones. Our big stihl is over 40 years old still running .Also Stihl made in a America !

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
i use a couple of Stihl. MS 290 Farm Boss and a MS 192T. The 192 is the best compact saw I have ever had my hands on. Was very expensive though worth it. Run it with one hand. MS290 with 20 inch bar needs a little more power. Would love to put a 16 on it. Favorite mid size saw is a MS260 Pro.
Stihl06 02 20 16 59

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
In my opinion, a good, inexpensive, light weight little saw to carry would be an Echo CS-271T with a 12" bar. With an easy muffler modification and tune up it will scream and cut anything you might reasonably want to cut to clear a trail. It's a top handle saw, so be careful. Just my $0.02

I love a small top handle saw. You are right about being careful but you can run a small top handle saw with one arm and hold branches and throw with the other one.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ya I love those pics Joey! So.....what's your favorite saw

Sent from iPhone

I have since cut way back to around 10-12 saws. It's a certain line from McCulloch thats 82cc. So now, all of them share the same motor, filters, bar mounts, etc. much easier to maintain. They almost all have a different model number but thy are the same internally. Super Pro 80, SP81, SP81E, Pro Mac 800, PM805, PM850, PM8200, Double Eagle 80. Those are definitely my fav.

I have one other that rides in the pioneer sometimes, I call it my little bumble bee....

I like modern saws just as well but I buy these on Craigslist for nothing and get them running cheaply. I also like the occasions where we're cutting a tree for someone and there's always that guy that laughs at me because he has a "farm boss" or a Stihl 660. Some guys think they have something because they paid a grand or close to it. Then I fire up the old Mac and shut them up quickly. This old Mac is probably older than I am

There's something to be said for a chainsaw that's 45 years old and still runs just as good if not better than modern-day equivalent saws.

Plus, Macs are cool enough to do this...

DGann

DGann

Dec 20, 2015
Russellville Alabama
I have since cut way back to around 10-12 saws. It's a certain line from McCulloch thats 82cc. So now, all of them share the same motor, filters, bar mounts, etc. much easier to maintain. They almost all have a different model number but thy are the same internally. Super Pro 80, SP81, SP81E, Pro Mac 800, PM805, PM850, PM8200, Double Eagle 80. Those are definitely my fav.

I have one other that rides in the pioneer sometimes, I call it my little bumble bee....

I like modern saws just as well but I buy these on Craigslist for nothing and get them running cheaply. I also like the occasions where we're cutting a tree for someone and there's always that guy that laughs at me because he has a "farm boss" or a Stihl 660. Some guys think they have something because they paid a grand or close to it. Then I fire up the old Mac and shut them up quickly. This old Mac is probably older than I am

There's something to be said for a chainsaw that's 45 years old and still runs just as good if not better than modern-day equivalent saws.

Plus, Macs are cool enough to do this...

That was cool

Sent from jokers ally

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Check out the smaller Dolmar saws. I have used one commercially for over 7 years now and it's a tiny beast. Power to weight is on par with the high dollar saws and you still get German quality without the high price. No aluminum cases here!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
MS 170 is on sale thru stihl dealer for 179.00 My buddy owns dealership here says they are solid built . Hardly any returned for repair . That's why I bought a second one. We use a saw a lot on our farms and trails thru property. Got a big husky and stihl also . I don't like Husky brake system had a lot of trouble from it, good motors in the old ones. Our big stihl is over 40 years old still running .Also Stihl made in a America !
Thats what I use also (170). Was gonna buy another poulan but for another 50 bucks I got this Stihl. It's taken several trips in the 1000 with me. Fallen trees on trails are common around here. Also handy for cutting trees out of @sharp 's fenderwells lol. Still scratching my head on how he managed that.
IMG 20160818 122912862 800x450

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thats what I use also (170). Was gonna buy another poulan but for another 50 bucks I got this Stihl. It's taken several trips in the 1000 with me. Fallen trees on trails are common around here. Also handy for cutting trees out of @sharp 's fenderwells lol. Still scratching my head on how he managed that.
View attachment 20817
Haha. I don't know how that happened. I think I slid over on to it because my tires were clogged. The tree is farther under there than it looks in the pic for those that didn't see it in person. Good thing @Delton had his saw, we used it several times that day.

advertisement