Which chainsaw are you using?

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'd recommend Husky or Stihl. I bought a Husky '55 Rancher, about 25 years ago, before it become the "455" and it has been flawless. It's never been in the shop! All I've ever done to it is change the pull rope once, and I did that myself. We even had a hurricane hit us and did a lot of property and tree damage. We were cleaning up trees on the weekends for almost a year. It's a great saw and it's not even considered the professional model.

Stihl makes great saws too. My dad is a retired logger, and used Husky and Stihl throughout his career. I'd go one of those two brands. The only other I'd consider is a Jonsered from TSC, which interchange parts with Husky.

Reactions: MNnice
D

Deleted member 3748

I carry a cordless sawzall with a 10" blade on it for limbing and trees up to 4". Couple of fat lithium batteries, you'd be surprised.
I read up on the battery chainsaws and they seem to perform well. One guy ran his for 5 hours without losing power. The price for the Makita was about the same as the gas Makita. $350-ish... BUT, they don't come with batteries or the charger. So I went back to gas.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
I read up on the battery chainsaws and they seem to perform well. One guy ran his for 5 hours without losing power. The price for the Makita was about the same as the gas Makita. $350-ish... BUT, they don't come with batteries or the charger. So I went back to gas.
I was at a Makita event last weekend and their battery chainsaws are pretty good. Run time is ample, will actually cut a tree, and is light. The electric companies around here have switched to nothing but battery makitas on all their trucks. That to me says something!!

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

I read only good things about the battery saws. I just came back from my local Stihl dealer and on April 1st the MS170 will be on sale for $159. I'm waiting for two weeks then getting the 170.

Reactions: AlR and trigger
KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
I read only good things about the battery saws. I just came back from my local Stihl dealer and on April 1st the MS170 will be on sale for $159. I'm waiting for two weeks then getting the 170.
Well me personally I run a Husky, but I will be demoing a lot of Makita tools shortly and the chainsaw is one.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need to get a light weight pack saw and limbing saw. Suggestions?

The Stihl 170 and 180s that people are talking about are good choices if weight is the most important thing....but if you go up to the 250, you get a sizable jump in power:weight IIRC. If you don't mind the extra weight ( a couple of pounds is all) I hear good things about the Husky 550xp. 50cc is a good all around size. The Dolmar 5105 that @Elkhunter mentions is supposed to be a great saw. My Makita is a Dolmar...awesome saw.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Stihl 291 20" and 80v kobalt 18". The kobalt is pretty strong. U wouldn't want to cut a 2'+ oak but anything 1' and under no problem.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up a Stihl MS180C a few months back. I like it so far. I like the quick adjust feature. Not sure how it would hold up if used on a daily basis but I'm not making a living with it anyway. I think that it is a great sized and powered saw for the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've had a 18c for a few years now use it all the time. The easy adjustment will hold up just fine.

D

Deleted member 3748

I waited for the sale and picked up the Stihl MS170 for $159. If you buy 4 cans of Moto Mix they double your warranty to 2 years too. I already put her to work so she's not all shiny and clean anymore.

IMAG01312

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Having worked in the woods for too many years, my next saw will be another Jonsereds. I have Husky and Jonsered saws now. Have used Stihl and Sachs-Dolmar and lots of other brands over the years. If there was a S-D dealer somewhat near, I'd consider them again. I'm talking about 72cc and bigger saws. I do have a couple 63-65cc throw in the truck saws but most of mine are 72 - 88cc saws. Mostly cutting bigger hardwood trees.

advertisement
Rayrule

Rayrule

Lifetime Member
Apr 1, 2017
Catskills Mts. NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm dating myself but 40 years ago my first saw was a homelite xl12 then stihl 041 & 045 for a few years. then bought my first 266 husky. i have tried McCullochs, Sachs-Dolmar & Jonsered in between, but always went back to husqvarna. I have 2 huskys (338 & 495) that are 20 years old & still run great. Currently have a 435, 372, 385 & 390. Needless to say I have had great luck with the huskys & that's all I will ever own.

Reactions: ripHST
ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It occurred to me I put together a spreadsheet when I was looking for a lightweight limbing saw. I obsess a little when it comes to buying stuff. I thought I'd share in case it helps anyone. I can't guarantee there aren't a couple of mistakes in there, but maybe it's useful none the less. The list is a little Stihl-centric because I have a few Stihl bars and chain I got for my 066 and didn't want to re-buy, but I'm a big fan of Dolmar (often overlooked as their dealer network leaves a little to be desired). I've never owned a Husky but my local saw guy (whom I respect a lot) is a Husky guy, but is a dealer for both Husky and Stihl....FWIW.

Attachments

• small saws.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 116
D

Deleted member 3748

It occurred to me I put together a spreadsheet when I was looking for a lightweight limbing saw. I obsess a little when it comes to buying stuff. I thought I'd share in case it helps anyone. I can't guarantee there aren't a couple of mistakes in there, but maybe it's useful none the less. The list is a little Stihl-centric because I have a few Stihl bars and chain I got for my 066 and didn't want to re-buy, but I'm a big fan of Dolmar (often overlooked as their dealer network leaves a little to be desired). I've never owned a Husky but my local saw guy (whom I respect a lot) is a Husky guy, but is a dealer for both Husky and Stihl....FWIW.
This would have been very handy three weeks ago, but luckily my decision would have been the same. Great spreadsheet!

advertisement